In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vehicular Modifications

MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
We had a mess of wires melt under the dash of our old van.

I did some re-wiring and replaced the ignition switch w/ three 15 amp house-type light switches.

-one for the starter (must turn off when started)

-one for the fuel pump (to be able to shut off engine)

-one for accessories

Since my $400.00 van now has increased to a value reaching four digits and could possibly be started by anyone that sees the breath-takingly beautiful piece of machinery and cannot resist attempting to take it for their very own, I am considering an alarm system for it.

Please help me to find the very best alarm system out there.

Any suggestions?

I do wish that I were smart enough to figure out how to post pics.

It is an '88 F250 Econoline 12 passenger (8 now w/ a seat removed for more haul space)

Two-tone red and Rust.

When I reach that 2500 post milestone and receive another of them there stars, maybe I'll be smart enough then to post pics.

Yep, she's a real beauty.

[:D]

Comments

• HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I wired up a 12VDC/110VAC inverter from Harbor Freight. I hooked up a relay to "Seal-in" when unauthorized person tried to start vehicle. Arranged "Drop-Out" on relay to be a hidden push button that you need only hold while starting. Inverter powered one of those "Buzzer" style Federal Signal Fire Horns they use in Schools - approx 125 dB. Mounted it just behind Driver's Head, about a foot away. Works real good. Gets a lot of attention from Apartment Dwellers/Neighbors, as it is REAL LOUD, and sounds Just like Commercial Fire Alarm. Takes about Ten Hours to run down the battery (Calculated).
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    I was not serious about an alarm system.

You got me a thankin about it now.

I often have firearms, etc. in my vehicles that total many times over the worth of the vehicle itself.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Why not just wire a seperate fuel pump shutoff switch, then disguise or conceal it?

This won't keep people from breaking in and trying, but in the end it's a very effective anti-theft device.
  • ZebraZebra Member Posts: 5,762
    edited November -1
    Drive down to Radio Shack and buy one or two $1.99 red LED lights that flash every 2 seconds. Drill a 1/8 hole in Dash and hotwire them to the fuse panel. I've done this on a few vehicles and its a cheap alternative to an alarm.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Why not just wire a seperate fuel pump shutoff switch, then disguise or conceal it?

This won't keep people from breaking in and trying, but in the end it's a very effective anti-theft device.

I know.

I'm really not concerned about someone taking this rig!

I attached the 3 together.

I suppose I should hide one of 'em.

It would not be very fun to deal w/ a theft.

Just the shock alone might stop the ticker.

[:D]
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can actually buy a keyed switch from radio shack
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While your at Radio Shack, buying a keyed on/off switch (for the ignition), pick up 2 bat handle toggle switches, 1 a on/off (for the fuel pump) and one momentary type (for the starter).

Or you could simply use the key switch to drive a 12vdc 3pdt relay, using one set of contacts for the ing power, one set for the fuel pump power and one set for the accessory and starter power (one wire to your radio/heater fan and one to the momentary toggle "hot" terminal)
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just buy a universal ignition at any auto parts store....
    Last one I bought was less than $20.00.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.