In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone own or have comments on these Binoculars?

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $69.95 for 20x binos? Ya gotta know they are way low end. the yellow color of the lens coating gives that away as well. While binos under $100 are generally far better today than $200 binos of the 70's, still these are inescapably cheap binoculars. If you need binoculars, save your money, but decent ones, and stick with a magnification you can actually hold (8 or 10x max). These would require a monopod or tripod to hold steady. 20x is getting into spotting scope magnification.

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Any time I read some thing like "from one of the worlds largets optical manufacturers" I usually think China, millions cranked out cheap, huge overseas containers filled to overflowing, and junk. Dale makes a very valid point about the coating on the lenses: If the color on the glass stands out like a sore thumb then those are not quality coatings. I'm looking at my faithful pair of Leica's right now (they've been every where with me) and the lenses, which are fully coated, can hardly be told apart from clear glass.

Silver, good binocualrs cost good money and while you probably don't want to drop $800 on the Leica's I can tell you that they will never disappoint you and are backed by a full warranty. If you want to learn about binoculars I suggest that you find some bird watchers since these folks use binoculars so much that I doubt their eyes can even focus on there own any more! Any one serious about studying our feathered friends will surely know the best and most effective binoculars available in any price range.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    Oh I've checked out binoculars before, I know whats junk..

However, there are degrees of junk... [:0][:0][;)]

Some junk is better then other junk.. Yah know?? [:o)]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Silverbox, I have no idea what your budget is, but if you can get into the $400 range, take a looks at the Eagle Optics Platinum Rangers. These are a really serious bargain for the price, comparable to binos costing twices as much. I have used them with Leicas and the Leicas give me about 4 or 5 more minutes at the ends of the day. Otherwise the differences are undetectable except on the bottom line. I use them hunting always, and often for birding as well.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/search.asp?q=Eagle+Optics+Rangers

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope you have steady hands. I have a pair of 20x, but use a tripod to hold them.

<P> To each his own
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SOG: http://www.southernohiogun.com/unusual.html has some nice Zeiss Bino's. I did a google search on NcStar, seems the going price is what this guy is selling them at.

Regards,
    190191.gif
  • Options
    5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because "Some junk is better then other junk"' look into some of that Russian junk. A bit clunky and typically heavy but have heard tell some good things about them.

If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    got any links for that quality low priced russian junk?? *winks*
  • Options
    5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, check ebay seems I've seen them there.

If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website