In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

non-resident purchase

KaosKaos Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
Can you purchase firearms in other states. I live in Washington and am going to Montana for a wedding in March. Can I buy a rifle in Montana?

Comments

• tysonagreentysonagreen Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would guess no, but you might check out Montana's state website.
  • WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends, here in Texas there is about 8-10 states that if you are a resident from you cannot purchase a firearm. You will have to check.
    In one WalMart that I visit they have a map with states in green or red and it states that if you live in a state colored red you cannot purchase a firearm here in Texas.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Under federal regulations, you may purchase a long gun (but not a hand gun) in another state. There may be state or local regulations prohibiting this in some cases. If you are just hoping to find something, the dealer can tell you. If you are planning a particular purchase, it would be best to contact the seller in advance and be sure it is legal there.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy a long gun in another state but only from an FFL (no private transfers) and the seller must observe all laws in your home state (if a CA resident buys from a NV dealer the seller must hold for 10 days not notify CA DoJ of purchase, etc, etc, etc just like a sale in CA). Not knowing all the laws in all other states (or not knowing it's legal since 99% of FFLs don't know most regulations) is why most dealers won't sell to non-residents.

Maybe in some cases dealers near state lines in states with both having relaxed gun laws dealers may do it. Otherwise, for all practical intent, it doesn't happen. You could arrange for a local dealer to receive the gun and have the seller ship it to him for transfer to you but of course this adds to the cost.

All these laws suck. I'm tired of being treated like a criminal. One of these days I may just go ahead and start acting like one.

Now you've got me all pissed off.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in S. Washington and venture across the Columbia river into Oregon to purchase my long guns (and almost anything else for that matter, no sales tax in OR.).
  • tysonagreentysonagreen Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also live in Washington, I know that it was legal for me to purchase a long gun in Michigan where I go to school but none of the dealers I spoke to were willing to, most even told me it was illegal. I guess if I were them I wouldn't do it either. With the vast differences in state laws, I wouldn't put my livelyhood on the line for one sale.

I skimmed through montana's constitution and codes but I couldn't find anything on purchasing firearms.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    let me throw a twist at you.
    you got a texas resident with a real texas address and license for tax purposes only. the real abode is a bonified home in virginia. texas resident is known by all the ffl's in the area as a law abiding gun owner in virginia. all the guns he bought were registered in va. when he was stationed in va. with the military and the guns and he never left. the texas resident has brought countless customers to his store and has taught his wife the art and love of gun collecting. the wife is a virginia resident. wife buys a long gun in florida on vacation and sends it to her ffl in virginia. gun now sits in virginia awaiting her return. can the texas resident in virginia sign for it?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Wouldnt it be the same as purchasing off the auctions. ship from one FFL to anotherFFL??

In florida you cannot sell to a non resident. Private sale or shop sale.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobski- 1. Virginia does not have gun registration. 2. Yes, have had two places of abode- my local address, and my "Home of Record". For instance, had an address in Mineral Wells Texas when stationed at Ft. Wolters, but had a Virginia drivers license- with my folks Virginia address.

In the case you described, you should be able to have the Virginia FFL run the background check, complete paperwork, and take delivery- even a Texas resident can take delivery of a long gun in Virginia- but not a handgun- unless you have orders placing you an active duty in VA. Now, I have a question for you- since you are a resident of Texas- what Virginia hunting and fishing license do you have- resident or non-resident? (GRIN)

Hey- for all the die-hard Texans- we Virginians sent you Sam Houston!
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont hunt.[:)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.