In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

This ammo is plain bad

beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2004 in General Discussion
Two weeks ago I posted how I had used Hornady hollow point in my Russian Makarov 9 X 18 mm and it has exploded in a cloud of smoke and debris and destroyed the gun. I still am unable to get the gun apart and the top slide remains stuck and immovable.

So last night I tried the same ammo in my other Russian Makarov 9 X 18 mm and the first 5 bullets fired well but the next one fizzled like a slow burning firecracker and the casing did not eject. At home I inspected the gun, removed the casing, and noted the bullet itself was lodged about 1/3 the way into the barrel (like there was simply not enough of an explosion from the slow burning powder to propell the bullet out of the barrel.

I removed the bullet and my gun seems to have suffered no damage but I am done using this ammo in my Makarovs. OBTW, I have fired thousands of rounds of the Wolf Russian ammo in both of these pistols with no problems.

Bruce

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, sounds like you got a bad batch, can you return it?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    What is the lot number of yours? Cause I have some of this ammo but have yet to fire it.

The stuff I have is #91002 lot #010503

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
  • laisterrlaisterr Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have any of you guys tried the wolf, brown bear, or barnaul makarov rounds from ammunitionstore.com? never tried any of them, are they decent little rounds? thanks.
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D@D
    What is the lot number of yours? Cause I have some of this ammo but have yet to fire it.

The stuff I have is #91002

Yes, let us know.

Since I have been studying Greek lately, I'll give a more direct translation of the Thermopylae Monument: "Stranger, tell the Lakedaemonians that in agreement with their customs, we lie here."
  • beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will post the lot number tomorrow, It is not in the house here. I have used the brown bear Russian hollow point ammo and it worked fine.

Bruce
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The round that fizzled soulds like it didn't have a powder charge. The round that blew up the Makarov likely had a double or triple charge. Hornady has a problem and I'm sure they want to know about it. They will want the lot number and the remainder of the box of ammo. They may even replace your Makarov if you work the issue right.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    For plinking my 45s, I've had great sucess with Fiocchi. The cartridge to bullet seam is really smooth, and the stuff is $125 / 500 delivered.
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have returned bad ammo before but I now live by a new motto. When in doubt throw it out. If I'm shooting and I think it's the ammo I will throw the box away.

PJ

If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Life Member, AF&AM
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Ammunition that contains no powder, only a primer, doesn't fizzle when discharged. You'll just get a light POP, a very small amount of recoil and the bullet ends up just as you said. The "fizzle" you describe sounds like some sort of serious powder problem.

I agree, you should contact Hornady immediately. Your prompt action may help save someone from serious injury.
  • billybassbillybass Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bad ammo can and does make things happen ,years ago I had a batch of lowly 32auto ammo it was mixed up but not reloads, the first few rounds sounded extra loud and had large flame, I should have stopped but didnt the next round blew the slide clean off...it wasnt a junk gun but a Beretta 1935 which are strong pistols.... I had an old timer look at the ammo and he opened a few .......he said by the look of the ammo age had changed its property's....he said get rid of it, which I did, the slide flew back over my shoulder and missed my noggin by inches...while in the Army I remember them comming around the and looking at the dates on the projectiles & powder charges...they were dated....all the old stuff was take and blown up....they were mostly 8"...175MM and 155 ....the sargent said take no chances if the dates are even over by a few weeks...... Billy
  • beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I will contact Hornady tomorrow but I'm a pessimist----will anything really come of it? I'll let you kmow at a later date. The ammo that I was using is Hornady 9 X 18 MAK
    95 grain JHP/XTP # 91002 Lot # 020009 The box is red with 25 rounds.

Bruce