In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ever spanked (for discipline) in School?

RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
edited February 2005 in General Discussion
The Daily Orange - News
Issue: 1/25/05

LeMoyne expels man over paper
By Brian Hecht

While students are guaranteed the freedom of speech, LeMoyne College's recent actions against a student have raised questions of whether or not academic papers are the place to exercise this right.

LeMoyne College expelled Scott McConnell, a student from its Masters of Education program, for writing a paper in which he advocated the use of corporal punishment in schools, he said.

The paper, written for a class on classroom management, originally earned McConnell an A-. However, when he attempted to enroll in classes for the spring semester, he found he couldn't.

"LeMoyne doesn't believe students should be able to express their own views," McConnell said. "If you differ from our philosophical ideal you will be expelled from our college."

McConnell, who hopes to become an elementary school teacher, was informed last Tuesday that he couldn't continue at the school.

"LeMoyne has handled the situation poorly," he said.

McConnell was raised in Oklahoma, where corporal punishment was used when he was a student, he said. In the fourth grade he was paddled by a teacher for being unruly.

"It worked. I never talked out of turn again," he said.

The issues that this case raises are very complicated, said Joseph Shedd, chair of the teaching and leadership programs in Syracuse University's School of Education.

It is about more than just a student's right to express their own opinions, he said.

"There is no clean dividing line between a person's opinions and his or her ability to make responsible professional judgments," Shedd said in an e-mail.

He pointed to change in socially acceptable behavior over time to illustrate that standards change. America has evolved from a society in which different genders and different races have been viewed as having different academic ability, Shedd said.

"SU's teacher preparation faculty - and, I suspect, LeMoyne's - will defend any student's right to assert any position, so long as he or she demonstrates an openness to different points of view and a commitment to and respect for every one of the children he or she teaches," Shedd said.

It would set a bad precedent if students could be expelled for their beliefs, said Joe McManus, a junior engineering major.

"I think you should be able to say whatever you want, so long as he doesn't touch anyone," McManus said. "Whether or not corporal punishment is OK depends on where you grew up. You should not be penalized for thinking something."

"I wanted to go to school and LeMoyne has taken that chance from me," McConnell said. He is currently in the process of applying to programs at other schools in New York.

http://www.dailyorange.com/news/2005/01/25/News/Lemoyne.Expels.Man.Over.Paper-840196.shtml

Comments

• jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    My ex elementary school principle lives next door to me now. I remember the ONE time he spanked me in the 5th grade and after that I did some serious thinking before I got into trouble again. He would raise your feet off the floor when he swung that paddle. When they took paddleing out of the schools is when the schools saw a huge increase in dicipline problems. I wish they would bring it back and then see how well the kids would settle down in todays schools. Back in my day we had no ADD but rather Mr. Wilson's pADDle!!!! It was the fastest and best medicine for acting up in school IMHO.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most schools have a form for the parent to sign whether corporal punishment is allowed.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    The thought police are alive and well at LeMoyne College!

"There is no clean dividing line between a person's opinions and his or her ability to make responsible professional judgments," Shedd said in an e-mail.

I guess if I write a paper on murder, I'm going to prison.

What idiots.

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    When I was in Jr,. High and High School, the teachers used bed slats shaped into paddles, made in the wood shop. I was an athelete (football) and the athletes got WHOPPED all the time.

On report card day you got one "spat" for every academic C, two for a C, and three for a D.

Then the coaches would look at your marks in conduct. One for a B, two for a C and three for a D.

Some poor ba$tards would have ten or twelve spats coming. Needless to say, report card day was nerve racking. And those dudes HIT! I got three spats one day by the coach and my butt was BLACK.

If they did today what they did to us then, not only would they be sued in civil court, but I am sure there would be criminal charges.

Boy have times changed. I think they should do it still!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    I'm for spanking in school....I went to a catholic school and I was sooo bad that the NUN's used to hit me on the knuckles with a blackboard pointer.....well, after 12 years of this I had hands like a GORILLA..........and this helped me in my shooting............why!..if it worn't for those NUN's I would never been able to hold a 45 one hand to shoot this timed/rapid fire target at 25yds. [:)]

sil.jpg
  • HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell yes! A spanking at school meant there was an * beatin' waiting for me at home, but that was back when you were still allowed to disipline your kids. I learned real quick not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time in school.
  • ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm pretty young and i was spanked in school. i grew up in a small town and it was alot different than the biggers cities schools. i can't say the beatings i received were helpfull or not. i think alot of times they were out of line. one time i running in the hall and the principal told me to slow down. i did and when i got closer to him, he punched me in the jaw. one teacher hit my sister on the top of the head with a stack of books and she bit her tongue open. the reason he hit her he said was because she was the closest one to him. i've taken my share of lumps from teachers growing up, but few times did i actaully deserve it. i'm all for discipline, but when it's needed. other wise they're just beating children, and who benefits from that?

cody
  • GATEKEEPERGATEKEEPER Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd bet I could open a class action suit by myself for all the a** woopings I got in 8 years of catholic grade school,,,
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, I'm a dinosaur, and was spanked in public schools. Deserved it everytime I got it. Last week of my high school senior year, got one for getting up and walking out of the first hour class. It was a negotiation the next day to get back in school....

976371019-1.jpg "Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it." Lord Chesterfield
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I'm only 42 and I was paddled in school... a lot. I think it was very effective.

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • CELTIC317CELTIC317 Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YEA I CHALLANGED THE FOOTBALL COACH ONCE. HE ALSO TAUGHT ENGLISH .CAME TO CLASS ONE DAY AND EVERYONE WAS LOCKED OUT. HE WAITED FOR ME TO COME TO THE DOOR AND LET ME IN..ALONE. WE MIXED IT UP FOR 15MIN WHILE THE REST OF THE CLASS WAS IN THE HALLWAY..IT WAS NINTH GRADE AND HE KICKED MY *. WENT HOME THAT NIGHT BRUISED AND DEPRESSED.. MY OLD MAN ASKED WHAT HAPPENED AND I TOLD HIM.. GOT ANOTHER * WHUPPIN. LEARNED WHAT ALOT OF KIDS DON'T GET TODAY.RESPECT YOUR ELDERS. RAN INTO THE COACH AFTER I WAS AN ADULT AND OUT OF THE NAVY.. BIG, STRONG AND BULLETPROOF, HE WAS NERVOUS. I SHOOK HIS HAND AND THANKED HIM FOR LIFES LESSON
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ameriskin
    ... one time i running in the hall and the principal told me to slow down. i did and when i got closer to him, he punched me in the jaw. one teacher hit my sister on the top of the head with a stack of books and she bit her tongue open. the reason he hit her he said was because she was the closest one to him...
    cody

Obviously, these were clear-cut cases of ABUSE and should have resulted in the ADULTS being disciplined. No one is EVER authorized to punch or otherwise hit children on the face or head. As I was taught, God made a perfect place for corporal punishment--those two soft, padded parts on the backside--and even THOSE parts weren't designed for torture or abuse.

I had my share of paddlings when in school and, like someone else said, it usually meant another round when I got home. Yeah, I still claim that one or two were undeserved, but all in all, I'm no worse for the wear.

My real point in posting this was not so much the issue of corporal punishment, although that's what the thread implies and is certainly worthy of discussion, but I was APPALLED that a college would expell someone for expressing their philosophy in a term paper.

Has "Big Brother" been crowned already?
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    ruler across the knuckles many a time in grade school. thast about it. but then again, i'm only 20 so even that type of thing was striuctly forbidden

MAEMTPATCH.jpgFord_E350_ambulance1.jpgemt2.jpg

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on this is a bad thing.
    Turret mounted machine guns usually work better than lights and sirens
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I got spanked by a wooden paddle twice in school. Once for acting like a little "Richard Cranium" in shop class and once by the Principal for acting like a little "Richard Cranium" in regular class. This was also with a wooden paddle. My dad was informed by the school both times and I took a worse whooping at home. No more little "Richard Cranium".

Swift and severe action for infractions that let you know bad behavior wouldn't be tolerated. What a concept!!

Of course, in todays world........

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • chorkiechorkie Member Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The teachers at my school in Az. used to have the shop teacher make them all kinds of "experimental" paddles, different shapes, holes drilled in different places, differnt thicknesses,different finishes etc.. I think they were having fun with it.
    OH yea, I think it should still be allowed.

Image005.jpg
  • robkelly2242robkelly2242 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8 yrs of catholic grade school in St. Louis, 1946-54. Most of the nuns used rulers and pointers, but there was one nun about 4'6" who have the 2 biggest kids in the class hold the offender while she whaled the snot out of him. Every kid in that school was well behaved, and learned how to read.
  • PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im 43 and i can remember in high school how a group of about 5-6 teachers abused corporal punishment.At times they carried boards in there back pockets as imtimidation and would "inflict pain" for the smallest things,this just made us more hateful and retalatory towards the school and learning in general.Im old enouph now to realy relize how wrong these teachers were and that they realy got off on being able to enforce punishment at will without any concenquences on these kids.I remember a friend was paddled twice in one day and then again once the next.He showed me his * and legs,they were black/blue and yellow,it was bad,i told him to show my father and he told him he realy should go to the doctor it was that bad but he didnt want his father to find out.Im all for"reasonable"punishment/spanking at home but after my years in high school i wouldnt let anybody inflict that on my kid,id break the paddle across there fricken head.[:(!] Let me deal with them when they got home.
    The problem is parents dont/wont/cant discipline there own kids,it shouldnt be left up to a total stranger to do it.

Ohio
    Constitution,Artical 1,Section 4

BillboardA.jpg
  • sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny how times have changed in such a short amount of time...I got at least two or three good ones every year from 4th grade till I graduated. Thinking back, I remember a friend of mine getting paddled by the ag teacher for playing with a saw, we were in 9th grade. The teachers paddle was a mini boat oar with holes drilled in it. The teacher was really short and my friend was already over 6ft so when he went to paddle him he half missed and hit him in the arm, which promptly turned all shades of purple. What did my friends dad say? "Guess you wont goof off in ag anymore." Now thats the way it should be! If that happened today, that teacher would be publicly flailed, fired, and run out of town. People have gotten too dang PC crazy.

shane

sig.jpg
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Don't believe in abuse. I suppose my idea of punishment is another's idea of abuse. But I do know we had pretty peaceful and respectful halls and classes. Worse was when you got home.

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." -- Will Rogers

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In those days you could teach them in school what they didn't learn at home. And I'm not talken about readin writin and arithmetic. Yep experienced it first hand. Them was the good ol days.

2-barrel
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I never got swatted; however teachers, particularly gym class teachers made regular use of it. I do remember being an unruley student in the 4th grade- My teacher was Miss Varzak, just out of college a year or so, built like nothing I had previously seen. She had shoulder length blonde hair in a pageboy, and a bustline that really got my attention. Well, when I was unruley, she'd take me out into the hallway, grip me with both hands, by the sides of my jaw and neck, then proceed to shake me, fore and aft; eye level at.. well you know what level. Boy, now there was punsihment for you!!!
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm 35, grew up in small town Iowa, learned quick. Still got it worse at home also.

My senior year, the shop teacher got fired for "paddleing" a student that should have gotten worse.

the voices in my head don't scare me. it's only when they stop that i get a little nervous.
  • silver6silver6 Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once got one lick in the first grade for talking when I shouldnt have that was the last lick I received. Maybe if we would reinstate some of our old values then we would take care of some of our society problems. But I believe that values start at home but should be allowed to be continued at school but those who lack morals say no not my child. And the decline of our society was hastened if not began when the Church was told to stay out of the classroom. Amen

If god meant for us to talk more than we listened he'd have given us one ear and two mouths- Vince Lombardi
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never got paddled nor do I know anyone who did but we all believed we would be if we deserved it. I did have one teacher who hit me across the knuckles with a wooden ruler everytime she caught me eating cinnimon balls in class. I knew it was comming when I would hear the other kids start to snicker. I loved those cinnimon balls but they caused beads of sweat to stand out on my forehead so she knew when I was eating them. Sure wish I could find them now there's nothing out there that hot anymore.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    I loved those cinnimon balls but they caused beads of sweat to stand out on my forehead so she knew when I was eating them. Sure wish I could find them now there's nothing out there that hot anymore.

Here they are:

http://www.candydirect.com/novelty/Atomic-Fireballs-Tub.html?PHPSESSID=e94b6a1ae0ae0df4ad6f72a456d93c43

or

http://www.adamscandy.com/index.cfm?page=Details&Product_ID=251&kw=Atomic+Fire+Balls

or

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/atomic-fire-balls.htm

ENJOY![:p][:0][8)]
  • cacti25cacti25 Member Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got paddled a few times in school, but there is nothing worse than hearing my mom saying, wait till your dad gets home.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to high school in the 60's. All the coaches had paddles, they were called "The Board". If you goofed off in a coaches class, God help you.
    If you goofed off in a young female teacher's class, you might think you got away with something. All she had to do was go tell Coach Raines or Coach Braswell, and you were going to get it.
    I got paddled 8 or 10 times and deserved it every time.
    We had discipline in the schools, and you could get a good education.
  • Texas_ShooterTexas_Shooter Member Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy howdy have i been spanked in school. In the earlier grades teachers would spank if the situation called for and of course the asst principal and principal.

In junior high and high school the asst principals had this task and they used some impressive boards. On most cases the asst principal was also the football coach. In high school the assistant football coaches had the role of roaming the aises looking for students put our of the class by the teachers. Many times I was one of the unfortunate souls that would need an attitude adjustment. My football coach caught me several times outside the classroom and would ask "you gonna make practice today?" I would say yes and then he would tell me to grab a locker and get me back into the classroom by smacking me several times with his baseball bat that was planed with holes drilled into it.

I had several occasions were I got "licks" in school and my mother would be called to the school. She got ahold of me when I got home but wouldn't tell my father until he finished dinner, then he would take off his belt and whup me in a circle by holding my arm. She knew if he whupped me before dinner, he'd kill me.

Spanking is a good character builder

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." - John Wayne
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    I got my butt burned on several occaisons and I deserved em all and it did me good. I think that's whats wrong alot in schools today, no corporal punishment leads to unruly kids. Unless the parents at home do the spanking there is no recourse for bad kids.

Desideri le mie pistole? Quale calibro e desiderate i solidi o i punti vuoti?
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ramtinxxl: The Atomic fireballs & everything else out there are only hot for a short time, the ones we had then stayed hot till they were finished. The nearest thing is now is made by Jolly Rancher. It's close but not the same thing.
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    If more kids had their * slapped in school(and at home)there wouldn't be nearly as many problems in this country today.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    Ramtinxxl: The Atomic fireballs & everything else out there are only hot for a short time, the ones we had then stayed hot till they were finished. The nearest thing is now is made by Jolly Rancher. It's close but not the same thing.

Sorry. [:(] Just trying to help keep the fires going...[;)]
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First grade at James the Apostle elementary school. Sister Juanita and her "golden rule", an 18" long brass ruler across the palms in front of the whole class for laughing at Caroline's spelling mistakes. Most appreciated lesson ever.
  • chorkiechorkie Member Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did have a H.S. English teacher who liked to have me spank HER[}:)][:p][}:)]

Image005.jpg
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet most of these posts are from the same general age group. I got my butt beat by a teacher when I was in the fourth grade. The worst was, my Mom told him he could do it.

I was humiliated but, never needed it again.

Phil

I learn something new everyday.
  • buffalobobbuffalobob Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My third grade teacher kept a short peice of rubber hose in her desk and I saw her use it more than once. I guess that put the fear in me and I walked a straight line.

JESUS
    KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I attended grade school here in SoCal during the 1960s and we had a "paddeling principal" at our school named Mr. Gilmore. Since by nature I have a big mouth which I can never keep shut when I need to, Mr. Gilmore, the paddel and I met more than a few times in his office. I will give the man credit because he ALWAYS listend to your side of the story and once when I was truely innocent of any misdeeds (quite rare) I escaped without punishment. Speaking only for myself I will say that I could never strike a child for any reason, including a simple spanking.

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • Texas_ShooterTexas_Shooter Member Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by old single shots
    If more kids had their * slapped in school(and at home)there wouldn't be nearly as many problems in this country today.

This is so true

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." - John Wayne
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    gruntled, my ol lady makes home made candy around the holidays and one she makes is called hard tack. It is like the old fashion hot cinnimon balls but only poured flat on a sheet. It stays hot all the time you have it in your mouth. Sweat will break out on the fore head from it. She got the recipe from her late grandmother, if you want it let me know but beware, keep the liquid handy to put out th fire in your mouth!!!!

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Here's a chuckle for you guys. I'm a retired teacher. I remember one principal back in the '60s who was a monster of a guy - huge chest, huge arms, and a huge heart. He didn't like to paddle' but never avoided his 'duty.'

Our school was in a low social-economic area ... many tough gang types. George kept the 'paddling' down to a minimum by using 'his secret technique!'

Usually on the first couple of days of school he'd wait for the biggest, toughest, meanest bully in the school to misbehave.

In full view of all of his friends/peers he'd invite him to his office for two swats!

That would usually elicit a chuckle or two since three swats was the
    usual transaction of the day.

George would usually point to me to accompany him to his office - as an adult witness.

Once there, he'd tell the offender to lean on his desk with butt extended out behind him (obviously).

George would ask the bully if he wanted the 'soft one' first or the 'hard one' first.

The kid would always ask for the 'soft one' first!

George would say, "OK."

Then he would put every ounce into it and literally go up off the floor with all 290 lbs behind it and hit the kid's butt with what sounded like a baseball bat hitting a watermelon! It was always poetry in motion! George used to play ball with the Detroit Lions before going into teaching.

The kid would always open his mouth to scream and nothing would come out - eyes bulged out to where I swear they kissed the wall in front of him!

George would calmly say, "OK, that was the easy one ... if I EVER SEE YOU IN HERE AGAIN I'll give you a couple of hard ones!"

LOL

Then George would handhold the kid back out to his pals - tears still streaming down his cheeks like Niagra Falls!

Didn't ever see one of those 'special bully kids', ever, in his office twice! NOR did any of his fellow bullies show up in his office for the rest of the school year, either.

George always said it was best to teach ... by example. LOL Those boys were quick learners, too! His 'examples' were ... memorable!