In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I actually have a gun Q! Kimber 22 rifles!

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
No I am not planning on buying one yet but maybe in the futurem although this question has to do with a close call on buying a new one.

I was checking out a Kimber SVT .22 (I think it is called the SVT) at a dealer, had the cash to buy it (almost $900 with tax) and while talking to the salesman he was honest and told me about a problem with Kimber rifles. according to him due to the "match" chambers that to get the groups they are known for you need to use low velocity match ammo and that high velocity ammo would not group. He told me that a $175 Marlin will shoot just as good with High Velocity ammo, i didnt buy the gun and thanked him for being honest.

The other day I met a fella at the range shooting a Kimber .22, not sure what model it was though but it definatly wasnt the SVT. Anyhow he was shooting it at 50' and only getting a 1/2' group off of a solid rest, he told me that it would shoot smaller but he was trying different ammo and that Winchester Super X would make one hole at 50'.

Now why would the dealer tell me that that kind of ammo won't shoot well in a Kimber but this guy claims different? the dealer lost a $900 sale for his comments and this guy claims opposite. I would think abou tbuying one if I knew for sure but I aint paying $900 for a $175 group!

Anybody have one of the Kimber rifles with the match chamber and can you confirm or discredit what the dealer told me? My curiosity is up and running.

line.gif
email2b.gif
hillbilly.gif

Comments

• Options
    buckdeerbuckdeer Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your dealer is full of crap the match chamber will just make it shoot any ammo better(for the most part) my kimber hss shoots 1/2 inch groups at 75 yards with winchester power points @ 1.99 per box
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Often the hyper velocity stuff doesn't shoot as well, but one step back to the standard high velocity shells seem to group pretty well. You shouldn't need to shoot low velocity stuff. I think of course it's ulitimately the gun that decides what it likes.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimbers are nice but I'd rather have a Cooper or 541-T. I wouldn't take what your dealer told you to the bank,either.

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lonnie, my experience has been that high velocity .22 ammo does not group as well as slower ammo. Seem to have more flyers with high velocity ammo. Take a look at what bench rest and silhouette shooters prefer. Nothing wrong with a Kimber or any other rimfire that a good box of target quality ammo couldn't fix.

Cheaper ammo is "cheap" for a reason, the quality control standards are not as tight as perhaps a box of Eley Tennex. Try grading out the ammo with a "rim thickness gauge"....rim thickness will many times determine if the round is going to be a flyer. Neil Jones makes an excellent gauge for about $50.

I had Tom Volquartsen specially cut a chamber on a 10/22 barrel for me....he'll take a sample box of the ammo of your choice and mics the cases, then cuts the chamber for that specific ammo. I doubt Kimber would do that on their production rifles, so they cut the chamber to accept a variety of rounds...hence the tolerances are a little more encompassing.

Not uncommon to get dime size groups at 100 yards with good ammo and a gun to match.
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Kimber of Oregon 82-C is like a beautiful and sophisticated woman - likes only gentle handling and has expensive tastes! Eley Tennex or Lupua Midas "M" ammo produces the best results. Will shoot any .22LR ammo you feed it, but only shines with the expensive stuff. Still love the rifle, though and will probably be the last one to ever leave the premises.

Keep off the Ridgeline