In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The hunt

4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
edited December 2002 in General Discussion
I had only been at the cabin a few hours when I decided to go out and have a looksee around and decide where I was going to hunt from in the morning. I also had to decide where to set my nefew Ryan and my son Justin up at that would keep them close to me but still in a good position to hunt themselves. When I walked out behind the cabin and glassed up the field ther was a doe and a yearling fawn prancing and playing in the field so I watched them for about an hour before heading up the hill. I was surprised to see the doe was still nursing the fawn. It was about three thirty in the afternoon but the cloud cover coupled with being located between two big hills in a valley made it look like five thirty. It was about twenty five degrees with a slight breeze and an occasional gust that made you appreciate warm clothing. I was carrying my Browning 7mm mag, my Kimber Classic SS Target in 45 ACP and a pair of Bausch and Lomb Binos I got at the last gun show. I was easing along a logging road that winds from the meadow up to the top of one of the hills doing my routine stalk which is glass the area and listen, observe the path take three slow steps being careful where I put my feet and glass the area and listen. It usually takes me about an hour to travel a hundred yards, my brother calls me the turtle hunter. Anyways, I had moved about fifty yards when I heard the brush cracking and leaves flying so I sat down real slow. I didn't hear anything else so I decided I must have spooked the deer out of their bedding area. It was really looking dusky on the hill at this point and visability through the binocs and scope was minimal so I decided to head back down the road for the house. I was still taking my time, listening to the woods and enjoying the clean fresh air. When I got near the bottom of the hill I could see that there were several dear running around below me. I could tell by the way they were acting that they were being chased by a buck but I couldnt see him. The doe trotted up the field away from me so I moved lower to gain a better view of the field. I could see them but they were on the other side of a large brier patch and I still couldnt see antlers. He was chasing them hard though and would run them up onto the hill and back into the meadow. I decided that I had better get the kimber out because of the eradic way they were running I may be better off with it if they run up on me. I had already chambered a round earlier so I didn't have to worry about the slide scarring them. I had no sooner gotten it out of its holster when he took after the doe again this time one of them ran straight up the logging road at me and froze in her tracks about twenty yards from me. She was looking straight at me and the buck followed her right to me. I squeezed the trigger simultaneously as the doe snorted and bound off. The buck never even realised I was in the picture as he was too caught up in the moment and was only tinking of one thing. I hit him right in the neck straight through the windpipe severing his spine and he dropped in place. Their was no struggle, not so much as a step. He dropped in his tracks. I tagged him, gutted him and dragged him forty yards back to the house. It doesn't get any easier than that boys. I was using the Black Talon ammo that terrible 4's sent me. The buck was a four pronger, maybe two years old, not big, but the meat was so tender I actually was able to pull the tenderloins out with my bare hands. He will be tasty. Thanks terrible 4's for the BT's. I hope you guys that hunt did well.

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....

Comments

• Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    4G&C...That was as good as reading Louis Lamour, congratulations.
    Your "turtle hunter" method is one that I have lived by all these years......

muley

************NRA Life Member************
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats FG&C. Nothing like fresh venison....

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I think Ill make me a big pot chili and use venison instead of beef. Its the best, I cut the meat into 1/2" cubes and brown it in a skillet with fresh garlic, real butter, onions, salt and pepper. Then I add it to my chili base of kidney beans, red hot chille peppers, habenero peppers, jalepeno's, tobasco, diced tomatoes, tomatoe sauce, celery, and anything else I can think of to add to the pot.

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....

Edited by - 4GodandCountry on 12/02/2002 13:13:10
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great story 4G&C! Interesting that you actually got the buck with your Kimber, it isn't typically considered a deer gun!

So, did Ryan and Justin end up getting anything?

G36

p.s. It's Chili, not chille.

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations,it doesnt get much better than that.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    terrible4sterrible4s Member Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations 4GodandCountry!!!

Glad to hear you were able to put the ammo to go use.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love a good story, G&C.

Thanks

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    C-G36, Justin and Ryan didn't have any luck, Justin was able to see several deer but no bucks. Ryan never saw any bucks either. I think the cold, wet weather kept the deer bedded and the boys moving. They still had a good time though. We had two Red Baron pizza's for Thanksgiving dinner and a Mrs. Smiths apple pie. YUMMY!lol. If the boys would have stayed where I placed them and held still they would have been successful. I even drove deer to where they were supposed to be but they wouldn't hold still long enouph to allow the deer to move into their area. I was able to identify a few prime locations for new stands next year. As for the Kimber not being a deer gun, well, it is now I guess. I generally allways carry a handgun hunting as a back up. I used to carry my Colt King Cobra 357 mag but I sold it. I was forced to use my Kimber or my Glock 22 so the 45 got the nod over the 40.

• Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats and a fun read as well! I've taken most of my deer from stands, but the two that I've taken in a situation such as you describe were the most memorable. Incidentally, I killed a doe last Nov. which was lactating heavily, and was informed by those much more knowledgable than me that it is quite common, particulary in areas with a poor buck-to-doe ratio. Seems that the does will nurse much longer without heavy courting from the too-scarce mature bucks. The "satyr" buck that you got was most likely the first that she had approach her, at least that's the current "wisdom" in my area. It makes sense to me, as does culling the overabundant does and leaving the smaller bucks be, but time will tell. I hunt in an area where there is little human presence, and those of us who hunt it have agreed to shoot only does for five years. This is the second year, so a couple of years from now we'll see if it makes any difference. There are some huge bucks around, 4 years old-plus, but they are very seldom seen during the daytime. They have enough does to play with all night with no real competition for them from the youngsters, and not nearly enough hunters to force any change of habit. A good area for an experiment of this sort, I figure. Asot like that is something to be proud of, with any gun, and you sure know your land, the key to a successful still-hunt!