In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

electrical question

Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in General Discussion
I think I already know the answer but here goes. I inherited the old family farm some years ago. One of the buildings was the origional house--only 24' X 16'. Over the years it was converted to a hen house and then to a machine shed. I'm in the process of making it into a hobby space for the wife (back to a "hen house"!). I've set up a 240V 20 amp main breaker and split that into two 120V circuits. Now the question: If either of these circuits exceeds 20 amps, the breaker will trip; right?, killing both circuits. The 200 amp 240V service that most of us have is really 400 amp, ie., 200 amps on each "leg" of the 240 volts? BTW: This old building is lathe and plaster, full 2" x 4" rough-cut studs on random spacing, and put together with the old square nails.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between a 120 volt light bulb and one of 130 volts. Obviously it is only 10 volts. Would the 130 volt bulb not reach its full brightness on a 120 volt system. I'm looking for the brightest 120 volt weatherproof flood lights I can get. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options for these anymore. I already screwed up once and ordered 230 volt flood lights by mistake.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was asked at work last week if freezing water changed its resistance.
    I was kind of stumped on this. I don't think it would but do any of you actually know for sure?
    If it matters the actual application would be taking pipe to soil readings on a cathodic protection system where the ground is frozen as it is right now here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a wall of outlets that suddenly stopped working, my daughter was watching TV and said it went off for a few seconds , went back on for a moment and then turned off completely. The circuit breaker was not tripped and has been reset several times.

My question is can one faulty outlet affect all on that circuit without tripping the breaker and if so how do I determine which outlet is at fault?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up a few 4 bulb fluorescent light fixtures a while back.
    Was checking them today, and the ballast (2 per fixture) shows 277 volts, 60 HZ. My question is, are these standard 110 fixtures, or something special?

Birmingham.gif
    "Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now so I can buy more guns and ammo."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bedroom lights are out,no power.

Circut breakers not tripped.

Outside bedroom exterior wall is an outside plug which had two heaters on it.

Where should I check first,the outlet itself or breaker?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have many "dimmers" thru out a condo rental unit. Lights keep flickering? Replaced many of the dimmer switches but problem still exists. Could this be a panel or a problem with the electrical service itself? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if I put a meter I get a reading of 120 volts on both legs of a 220 panel

If I put a load on the line like plunging in a saw have tried several so I know its not the saw the voltage will drop to zero or just a few volts no load 120 volts again .
    I think I lost neutral maybe a break or a weak section in the line ? its a burred cable
    any thoughts
    rude comments or good advice all welcome [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am installing an 220 AC disconnect for a HVAC unit on the outside of my house. My question has to do with its proper location. Height above ground surface and distance away from AC unit? What are those distances?

Also, there is an exterior water faucet near where the HVAC unit is set. Is there a minimum distance to consider for the placement of the 220 AC disconnect from the exterior wall faucet in addition to the above distances?

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im installing a stackable washer and dryer outfit today and doing this it has put me in need of a dryer cord of about 10ft. Is there a danger in running a cord this long for the dryer?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I plugged in a small space heater in an area of my basement that
    does not receive any direct heat from the furnace as the area is
    unfinished. I noticed the plug was warm and the prongs we're hot
    to the touch. I don't think this is normal. Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm running conduit to a place in my shop (30-40 ft.) for just a 120V outlet. It will be mainly for shop a light. Is it possible to run the line (hot) at a different, larger gauge wire than the neutral? Or should both wires be the same gauge? I'm also running a small ground wire as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any advise on how to splice an underground electrical wire? I cut the main line from the house to my old pole barn while sinking holes for the addition. I had cut power prior to digging and I'm glad I did.

Now I have to splice it. Any advise. The neighbor said wire nut it together, put it in a pvc sleeve, and seal both ends with silicone.

Another guy handed me some aluminium blocks with tighteners on em and said use these and wrap them in rubberized tape. That appears to be the wrong way. Won't the aluminium short it out. As you can see, I am not electrical wiz.

What say you guys?

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been having trouble with a hallway light turning on and off by itself.. Well I went into the attic to investigate, and none of the junction boxes have covers.. Would that cause the light to come on and off.

It goes on and off sometimes for 5-10 minutes. I can fix cars but I try to stay away from electrical crap.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will 12-2 w ground carry 30 amps? I need to run a 220v, 30 amp circuit. I am going 20 feet with it. Would I fuse each branch 30 amp or 15? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what is a proper way to wire a 120v 4bulb fluorescent ceiling fixture with a wall switch??

power to the switch, or power to the ballast first?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    While putting up the Christmas tree my wife noticed one of the floor outlets in the room was quite warm/hot to the touch.

The other outlets or light switches in the room are cold to the touch. The breaker is cool. All the outlets and switches work.

I notice when I unplug all the Christmas lights that one hot outlet cools off.

The outlet that is heating up doesn't have anything plugged in. The Christmas tree is plugged into a different outlet.

What you guys think? Would love a few opinions before I attempt to electrocute myself...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My wife and daughter get a static sized shock when touching the light switch or fridge.

I don't get shocked, nor are shoes or bare feet a factor.

The fridge is next to the switch.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    45watt solar panel at 12VDC under optimum conditions puts out how many amps?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I installed a GFI on a 2 wire circuit. Ran jumper from white neutral to green ground screw. Test light shows it is wired correctly. Push test button and it trips like it is supposed to. Next outlet on the circuit also has jumper from white neutral to green ground screw. Tester shows it is wired properly. It, however will not trip the GFI when you push the test button on the tester. Second outlet is wired to load side of the GFI that is in front of it on the circit like it is supposed to be. I have done this before and it worked fine. Yes I know this is cheating but it is not practical to run a new 3 wire line underground to this small garage. What am I missing? I have installed a GFI using only 2 wires in the past and it worked without the jumper. Had to mark the outlet as not having an equipmen ground. The new GFI's will not work this way.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a hand saw. Drink a beer .
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Measure from each leg to neutral or ground in the panel. 120 v.
    Measure leg to leg. 240 v.
    you could of dropped a main leg and even though you are getting 120 volts on all legs, the voltage is feeding thru a 240 volt breaker, thru motor windings, and appearing as though you have full voltage.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Open neutral. I've seen buried cable do that a lot of times. Could also be a bad connection in your meter base or panel, if you're lucky. This problem will "fry" your electronics, by the way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what I am thinking also

I see a lot of digging in my near future [:(][:(]
    I have it disconnected , I learned a long time ago don't like being shocked

quote:Originally posted by grdad45
    Open neutral. I've seen buried cable do that a lot of times. Could also be a bad connection in your meter base or panel, if you're lucky. This problem will "fry" your electronics, by the way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks I did check that last night
    240 to the panel each leg showing 120
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Measure from each leg to neutral or ground in the panel. 120 v.
    Measure leg to leg. 240 v.
    you could of dropped a main leg and even though you are getting 120 volts on all legs, the voltage is feeding thru a 240 volt breaker, thru motor windings, and appearing as though you have full voltage.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok on the beer [^]
    generator if I get desperate to saw [:D]

quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Get a hand saw. Drink a beer .
  • Options
    westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    what I am thinking also

I see a lot of digging in my near future [:(][:(]
    I have it disconnected , I learned a long time ago don't like being shocked

quote:Originally posted by grdad45

When our underground line coming into the meter failed the power company was responsible for digging it up and repairing. Hopefully it's the same where your at. They did supply a nice transformer at the meter to get us up and running while we waited for them to get the underground line fixed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just feeds pole barn about 240 feet of 2-2-4 cable
    On me ..about 25 years since I did it about 24 to 30 inches deep direct bury cable if I have to replace will run same type of wire but in conduit
    if it was the house I am sure the power company would do it it's also buried
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought - if you put in a new run in conduit, instead of using cable rated for direct burial (UF) use individual wires. You'll find the same size wire is rated for a higher current carry if you do it that way. I like to lay the wires out next to the trench, then slip the sections of conduit over the wires as I go. Easier than a pull wire or rope.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    edited November -1
    Yes, a 240 foot run is a long pull. Install a 1/4? nylon rope to pull the wire in. There is a wire pulling lube called Yellow 77 that will make it easier.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Run a 240 saw!

Isn't there anyway he can get a neutral local at his shop without pulling a new wire 240 feet? How about a 2:1 transformer and a ground?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would go with a loose connection, voltage and current two different things
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1

If I put a load on the line like plunging in a saw have tried several so I know its not the saw the voltage will drop to zero or just a few volts no load 120 volts again .
    I think I lost neutral maybe a break or a weak section in the line ? its a burred cable
    any thoughts
    Maybe try grabbing one line in each hand and see if you get the same result.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thats what neighbors are for [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

any thoughts
    Maybe try grabbing one line in each hand and see if you get the same result.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Test it with a megohmmeter.
    It will tell you for sure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks guys

I dug up several sections I thought have been compromised one where my wife and kid cut it with a shovel 20+ some odd years ago but all the connections and repairs were good ( lucky day for both it took a chunk out of the shovel when they chopped thru all three lines at the same time )

I am renting a trencher Thursday night until Friday morning rain or shine I making a trench [:D]
    I am also picking up conduit tomorrow ( I had already bought the wire ) decided to just replace it from the box to the breaker box in the garage start over stop chasing my tail adding a 1/4 nylon rope into the conduit that I hope I never need [;)]

quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Test it with a megohmmeter.
    It will tell you for sure.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I pulled in new wire to my shop i pulled in a coax wire , phone wire , and speaker wire along with the electric wire in the conduit. I only had to go up one size on the conduit to get it all in. Just saying ....