In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Check this Elk Shed - 7x7

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
422456_10150708021121900_401836901899_11668676_737364985_n.jpg
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I pulled it off facebook...

#8206;426 gross w/ 40 inch inside. 35&36 inch mass. 60 inch beams.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like Utah country I hunt.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cubslover G16

I wonder if he chased the Elk with a 4 wheeler until the antlers dropped off. I read it is a big problem out west with people selling Elk antlers. They scan areas with spotting scopes, then send out "runners" on ATV's and chase the herd until the Elk throws the sheds.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    some cows at one time or two[}:)][:D][:D]quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    ,,,,,nice !!!!,,,,ya know what it scored????[;)]
  • Options
    NEIAPredatorNEIAPredator Member Posts: 1,443
    edited November -1
    Very Nice, Thanks for sharing. Makes me miss the mountians.
  • Options
    Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's massive.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DONDALINGER
    I wonder if he chased the Elk with a 4 wheeler until the antlers dropped off. I read it is a big problem out west with people selling Elk antlers. They scan areas with spotting scopes, then send out "runners" on ATV's and chase the herd until the Elk throws the sheds.

With an imagination like yours you should write short stories. Ever been where the elk herds roam? I'd bet not.

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is for sale by some outfitter. $2500...

I'ma gonna make a jackalope out of it.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by whiteclouder

With an imagination like yours you should write short stories. Ever been where the elk herds roam? I'd bet not.

Clouder..

Actually if you get your head out of the clouds, do a little research and you'll find that it is a problem and does happen. Harness the power of the internet and you'll see for yourself. Don't take my word for it.
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you know the inside spread is 40" when the horns fall off individually??
  • Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    From what I understand the problem is not from chasing them while they still have antlers. The problem is the quads disturb the herds while the cows are still carrying calves.

In most areas here in Nevada the snow is usually too deep to be chasing elk before they drop their antlers. I know one guy that uses snowshoes to look for them.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Clouder..

Actually if you get your head out of the clouds, do a little research and you'll find that it is a problem and does happen. Harness the power of the internet and you'll see for yourself. Don't take my word for it.

I don't need the internet to KNOW about elk, I live where they are. Elk shed in early spring. Ever been in the high country in winter or early spring? I'd guess not because most people haven't since the "Jerimiah Johnson" types were alive. And even if they tried, they most certainly would NOT try to ride an ATV there. Elk antlers are FIRMLY attached; witness a couple 1000 pound bulls fighting and you'll understand they wouldn't JUST FALL OFF if the elk exerted itself for 5 minutes or so while eluding some pest driving a machine.

Do idiots use ATVs to chase elk? Absolutely, and I can show you one 4-wheeler that was left where it stopped after a sportsman put a 180gr Silvertip through the motor. Rabbits, antelope (for about 15 seconds) and deer get chased as well. That stresses the animal and stress causes all kinds of problems, but it does not cause the hooved critters to shed their horns/antlers. The rabbits are generally just run over and left to die and antelope never shed.

It's your dependence on the internet that caused you to hang your butt out. Don't be surprised when people who actually KNOW something call you on your apparent...ahem..deficiences.

Happy trails.[:D]

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cubslover G16

That is a rare sight. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Clouder..
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Clouder..

Wow, you're really leaving yourself open to righteous attack. What's your source of "research"? Wikipedia? A man who claims the INTERNET is "research" doesn't have much credibility against those here who have SEEN the real deal. "Harness the power"...you've got to be kidding.

But I googled it, just like you suggested, and I think that when you knock the elk over while they're sleeping (termed in the technical circles as "tipping") they shed their antlers.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need to mount that on the front of my Dodge! [;)]
  • Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those sheds are massive. I wonder if that was a free range Elk or one from the many game ranches.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    ,,,,Ahaaaa!!!,,,,,Antelope do shed the outer shell of their 'horns' leaving pointed stubs for the next years growth. Another reason the taxidermist has to glue them on,,,,,as the outer 'sheath' will detach.

Wapiti (Elk) will 'drop' their 'antlers' yearly,,,,they don't have horns.

Antlers are nourished from the 'outside' (velvet),,,,,'horns' are nourished from the inside,,,,,,,,not too different from your fingernails[;)]

For the longest time I used to keep finding these antler looking things all around our place but they were half deteriorated and looked more like a mass of hair in the form of an antler. I never could figure out what these were. Finally I took one to my taxidermist buddy and asked...sure enough antelope sheds. I never knew that.

They must grow back practically overnight because rarely (if ever) do you see an antelope with immature antlers.

They don't drop off the antelope in the sense of leaving nothing but the nub like a deer, they lose a thin outer shell as the inner horn expands. What you find looks like hair because that's essentially what it is.

Clouder..
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love the countryside.

Montana?

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Ever been where the elk herds roam? I'd bet not.

Clouder..

Lets see Mr. Cloudy, yes I have been to where the Elk herds roam. We have Elk in Tennessee. Here is a picture of some Tennessee sheds (not quite as large as Cubs posted, but you get the idea). Also here is a picture of a nice 6X6 bull that I took a picture of last year(I did not have a zoom lens, but you get the picture). There were a bunch more, but some idiot came flying through on a 4 wheeler trying to get it to throw a shed. We also have some nice whitetails here in the east as well. This is a Virginia buck. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you about whether or not the article I read about people chasing the Elk is true or not. I do know the 2 guys were arrested by the Game Warden who watched it happen. He confiscated the elk sheds and the vehicles. I'm sure you are the pro when it comes to Elk habitat and whatever, but its pretty presumptuous of you to assume I've never been to where the herds roam. Done and out.

Jim.jpg
    Elk.jpg
    feb16201020005.jpg
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Clouder..

Lets see Mr. Cloudy, yes I have been to where the Elk herds roam. We have Elk in Tennessee. Here is a picture of some Tennessee sheds (not quite as large as Cubs posted, but you get the idea). Also here is a picture of a nice 6X6 bull that I took a picture of last year(I did not have a zoom lens, but you get the picture). There were a bunch more, but some idiot came flying through on a 4 wheeler trying to get it to throw a shed. We also have some nice whitetails here in the east as well. This is a Virginia buck. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you about whether or not the article I read about people chasing the Elk is true or not. I do know the 2 guys were arrested by the Game Warden who watched it happen. He confiscated the elk sheds and the vehicles. I'm sure you are the pro when it comes to Elk habitat and whatever, but its pretty presumptuous of you to assume I've never been to where the herds roam. Done and out.

Jim.jpg
    Elk.jpg
    feb16201020005.jpg

thats called being OWNED ![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

Clouder..

thats called being OWNED ![;)]

Yeah, the pain is almost unbearable.

I'll grant him this; with terrain like that and a late spring, I could see someone chasing the herd (if 300 elk in the whole state can be called a herd) into some trees and an antler being knocked off. Shed? Nope.

Clouder..