Hardest thing You've EVER done???

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
What's the hardest thing you've ever done? The single greatest risk you've ever taken...something, once you signed up, you weren't sure you'd ever come back from, or you made the right decision?

Just one moment, in your life, where you walked away from it "all". Something you did for you, and you only (right or wrong). For better, or worse...something that made you better for it (regardless of loss).

We all have ONE thing. What was it?

FCD

"Fortes et liber"
regalshelpose_3.jpgShelwithboots_sepia_2.jpg

Comments

• MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very easy one.

Getting (and staying (at least at first) sober.

Merc

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. " - Al Capone, (1899-1947)

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    <Nod> [:)][:)][;)][;)]

Not (exactly) the answer I was looking for, but actually an excellent answer none the less!!

Well put![:)]
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Getting through the law school I went to. I could have gone somewhere easier (and probably should have), but I didn't.
    But, I'm young.
  • frankcastle13frankcastle13 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DAMN! I would have killed that guy ^^^^^^
    edited November -1
    Walking down the jetway on December 7, 1995...United Airlines Flight 965 to (SFO) San Francisco.

Kissed my wife goodbye...for the last time (didn't know it)

Transfer to Singapore Airlines 001 (the 1st Golden Kris (Red Carpet) club was pretty nice)...direct, Taipei... then Singapore. Then Subang, Malaysia.

Contract signed; no turning back. 13,000 miles. Hot. Why?

Twenty Four Months. OH...did I mention it's F'in' HOT????

<continued>
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    This is going to sound weak, but the hardest thing I ever did was forgive myself after I came to Christ. It was so easy for him to forgive me but it took so much more for me to truly humble myself (which should come as no surprise to anyone who pays attention to my posts! [;)]) enough to live again.

Everything else has been easy by comparison.
  • forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marine Corps boot camp but once it was over, I was (and still am) damn proud of the accomplishment as I think most Marines are.
  • abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well , I have Three (3) not One (1) that I deal with as far as ghosts as far far as things that I dont care to 'relive'....Not in any special order ...

Putting down my favorite 'family member' (dog) of 17 years.....
    telling my (ex)partners ("LEO") family of their bad fate (death in the line of duty)...
    & my personal 'shooting' experience (I won & the 'perp' didnt.)!!!!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    abc guns
    sweetwater,tn

abcguns.com
  • Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats not weak. I'm proud of you.
    Dean
    quote:Originally posted by ZERODIN
    This is going to sound weak, but the hardest thing I ever did was forgive myself after I came to Christ. It was so easy for him to forgive me but it took so much more for me to truly humble myself (which should come as no surprise to anyone who pays attention to my posts! [;)]) enough to live again.

Everything else has been easy by comparison.

If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?
    edited November -1
    Forth,

Well, if it's any consolation...my heart, and hand, is out to you.

On Saturday we'll fly to MD to hook up with my wife's parents, but the reason for going is simple...my wife's nephew. He's just home...two tours in Iraq...Marines!

I'm takin' him fishing. Charter boat. Taking his mom, and anyone else he wants. Something he always wanted to do, but never did.

Scarey to some, is indifferent to others.

My hat is off to this young MARINE!!
  • forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Flying Clay Disk! I appreciate that. And give your wife's nephew a hearty OOORAH from me. I'm sure combat in Iraq was tougher than boot camp.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thus far, getting through the first year of law school. It's not a prize winner, but being a small town boy in a big city, struggling to learn how to think like a lawyer, feeling like I was failing miserably, and wondering if I was the only one was pretty disheartening. Made it though (starting year 2 in about 6 weeks.) Thought about picking up stakes and saying to hell with it a couple of times.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
    edited November -1
    To ALL of our Veterans...

The "hardest thing" was doing what you have, or are, doing!!!

To you all, I say one thing...

THANK YOU!!

(..in 3 days fireworks will celebrate all of your honor...the World round)

FCD

"Fortes et liber"
    regalshelpose_3.jpgShelwithboots_sepia_2.jpg
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you drinking...or something?
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cause you've been gettin' a little far out in the stratosphere this time of night lately[;)]
    edited November -1
    Well, Cletus...just let me know if I get "out of school".
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Getting married.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    Thus far, getting through the first year of law school. It's not a prize winner, but being a small town boy in a big city, struggling to learn how to think like a lawyer, feeling like I was failing miserably, and wondering if I was the only one was pretty disheartening. Made it though (starting year 2 in about 6 weeks.) Thought about picking up stakes and saying to hell with it a couple of times.
    That would be my second toughest.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Quit drinking and using drugs Jan. 6th 1988.

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Extricating myself from my mother's womb was pretty tough...I've never gone back in there, either![:o)][}:)]

If your beliefs aren't based in fact, TRUTH is the first casualty...
    penguins.gif
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    One of my brother's was shot by a close friend of mine in August of 1997. My brother was breaking the law and friend was a LEO. Was very hard on me finding out who exactly ended his life and realizing that I knew all 3 S.O.R.T. officers that took shots. I cant say that I forgave them, because there was nothing to forgive. My brother was breaking the law and they were doing their job.The hard part really was when I was laying on my bed about 4 years ago talking to the one who actually killed him. (We had become very close[:I])I saw some blue marks under his arm and asked him how he got them. It was only then that I found out that my brother had shot him in the hand and the blue marks were from another bullet that went under his arm. The hard part was forgiving my brother for almost takeing the life of someone who was and will always be very special to me.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 30,803 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

Getting married.

Was not that hard, I've done it threee times. Don

I respect the truth too much to bring it out on every occasion.

The biggest regret of my life is the number of temptations I've resisted successfully.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,090 ******
    edited November -1
    Getting married.

Getting divorced.

Getting married.

Getting divorced.

Having to deal with absence of my children.

Getting married.

Suing for custody, twice, spending many thousands of dollars, but it had to be done.

Getting divorced.

Bankruptcy.

Getting married.

Some days, the about the hardest thing I can do is get up and go to work, knowing I could be paid not to.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email [email protected]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 62,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Giving up motorcycles..before I got killed on one.
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Toughest single thing I had to deal with was when my friend's wife got killed in a trucking accident. They decided to go go to truck driver school and go OTR so they could spend more time together and see the country and she was out spotting him while he backed into a tight dock at about 3AM. There was another truck/trailer parked in the next slot so she didn't want him to clip it trying to swing in to the dock. She went on the blind side and apparently tried to run around to the other side to tell him he was about to graze the other trailer. I say apparently because she got caught between the corner of his trailer and the side of the other trailer, and that's about the only reason we could figure that she would have been trying to slip through there with the truck moving. She died a few minutes later from massive impact trauma. I got the phone call and was on a plane 40 minutes later (this was with the post 9/11 security levels, really effective[xx(]) and at his folks' place about 2 hours after that. He was absolutely beside himself because of what had happened, he had been happily married for years and what he thought would be an interesting short-term adventure for them wound up being the worst thing possible. If this wasn't difficult enough, her family (who I'd known since high school, and they were nuttier than squirrel poop back then too) came around accusing him of murdering their daughter. Me and his family took them aside and explained to them that to do that he would have needed motive and the ability to see through his tractor-trailer that was pretty much jack-knifed into the dock because he wouldn't have been able to see within 50ft of where she was at. Her family continued to call, accuse, and threaten for the following days before the funeral. At the funeral, her family was two-faced and behaving themselves. After the funeral even more of her family got involved, including some gangbanger uncle and some other nutjobs. The phone calls and threats started up again. We spent the next week at my friend's house dealing with the mourning of the loss of his wife plus the threatening phone calls and people stopping in front of the house at night. I passed word back to them that the next funeral in their family would be for the person that laid a finger on him. They harrassed him for the next year and then went back to their own drama[xx(] Hopefully they've let it go

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • RickstirRickstir Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Telling my first wife (of 28 years)that she was dying of cancer.

Like in the NFL, defense is the key.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Being told I had the "Big C". Oh heck, yeah, I cried almost continuously for a week. But eventually I got to the point where I had 2 choices, I could either roll over, wallow in self-pity, become a passive victim of misfortune, or I could fight back, guns blazing. Sun Tsu says to learn everything you can about your enemy. And I read every book, article, pamplet that I could get my hands on. I emailed doctors, surgeons, oncologists with questions. I took to wearing my favorite uncle's Eisenhower jacket to appointments. It was war, and I was out for total anhililation.

I read this over, and I'm afraid I sound like I'm bragging. Before my diagnosis, I had always doubted my strength in the face of adversity, but I surprised even myself with my actions. Just goes to show you never know what you are capable of unless you have a chance to prove it.

Everyone is somebody's "weirdo".
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Trying to convince someone that there's no such word as "irregardless."

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    Trying to convince someone that there's no such word as "irregardless."

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

[:D][:D]...OOPS![B)]
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Darn, I thought I had been through some hard times.
  • CowboyEngrCowboyEngr Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Bury my 16 yr. old son
    2. Walk away
    3. Learn to live again
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CowboyEngr
    1. Bury my 16 yr. old son
    2. Walk away
    3. Learn to live again

I think the trump card has been drawn. So sorry, man.

Everyone is somebody's "weirdo".
  • northern militianorthern militia Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pulling the plug on my baby girl.

first rule of northern militia is that we don't talk about northern militia.
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656
    edited November -1
    One thousand times, deciding on when not to start CPR.

2002-05-21-shark.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis".
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 30,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done nothing compaired to what some of you have done and gone through. GOD BLESS YOU ALL, may he take the pain away...........
  • stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the thing that was the hardest for me was alcohol but I did it and its been four years sober last month but some of you have gone throgh more then anyone should have to god be with you
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    While I don't recall things being easy, I can't think of anything I've done that I considered hard.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    From the top of this post to the bottom. Courage is the only word that I can think of. I admire all of you.

Many of you have heard this, but my father preached this: "God will not test you with a test that you can not master. What does not kill you will only make you stronger."

There are many strong, very strong, people on this board.

I am honored to be with you.

My hardest decision? Not to give up and die, but to fight for life so my children could have a father. Dieing would have been much easier. Living has been worth every moment, every hard task, ever challenge, and knowing that I am not really in control, but someone else is -- I just have to be humble enough to accept his WILL not my will.

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock
  • Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me, going through 12 months of chemo, radiation, and surgery. Also learning how to walk again, due to all the spinal and nervous system damage done. Still have lots of nerve damage and pain everyday. Thank God everything down there works like its supposed too[:p][}:)][;)]
  • .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I first saw the title of this thread, I had a very smart-* response in mind. Thank the good Lord that I read some of the other replies before I posted.

I am humbled, once again.