In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

how many of you set up to take credit cards ?

stickem upstickem up Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in General Discussion

Comments

• vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ???

What sort of question is that? You'll get some responses... some will say yes, some will say no.

Most of your legit licensed dealers will probably say yes, most of the guys that buy and sell without a license will probably say no.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well I am guessing most of the dealer types on GB auctions have them.

I am guessing since most of those guys are not on here on the forums that there are few. No reason to need to take CC's to hang out and talk.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will be very soon. I have a "love/hate" thing when it comes to them. I HATE that there is a company that can charge ME to make THEM money.....but people looooove to use credit cards. I am also leary of them because I am nervous that someone would have their cc company stop payment on something I sold them. I worry over everything though.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    I've been a deler holding a FFL and operating a shop for over 30 years and do not accept credit cards. Never felt the need to set up for them. And have never lost a sale because I don't, even at gun shows.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I will be very soon. I have a "love/hate" thing when it comes to them. I HATE that there is a company that can charge ME to make THEM money.....but people looooove to use credit cards. I am also leary of them because I am nervous that someone would have their cc company stop payment on something I sold them. I worry over everything though.

These days any retail business needs to accept them. Unfortunately it adds cost to every product sold which the consumer eventually ends up paying. In the past 3 years we had one dispute and all we had to do was fax a copy of the signed ticket in to the company.... turns out the buyer forgot about the purchase he made and it was quickly cleared up.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Credit cards are evil. I don't take them as payment. If you can't pay for it, you can't afford it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Credit cards are evil. I don't take them as payment. If you can't pay for it, you can't afford it.

ummm.... you have heard of debit cards, right?

Aside from someones accountant I personally don't think anyone should be judging if someone can afford something or not either... maybe that's just me...
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    When I ran a shop I had to. These days, no way I'll take plastic.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Dont use them.Stopped in Dec 2005. If I were a merchant I would not take them either. Just more BLOODSUCKING by @#$%^banks[:(!]
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    So much for the majority of people owning a house, or car huh?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel

Well many people that are not drowning now will tell you no money should ever be borrowed... save enough to buy your car then buy it. Save enough to buy your house then buy it.

While I was in Greece a few years back I noticed A LOT of houses that had rebar sticking up out of the roof... I asked why and was told they don't believe in borrowing money. So, a family will save enough money to buy a piece of land. Then after more has been saved they build a small house. Later they add a planned second story once they have saved enough money to do that (hence the rebar).
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vicg1

Well many people that are not drowning now will tell you no money should ever be borrowed... save enough to buy your car then buy it. Save enough to buy your house then buy it.

While I was in Greece a few years back I noticed A LOT of houses that had rebar sticking up out of the roof... I asked why and was told they don't believe in borrowing money. So, a family will save enough money to buy a piece of land. Then after more has been saved they build a small house. Later they add a planned second story once they have saved enough money to do that (hence the rebar).

As I am sure you have done with all your purchases. i am certainly not drowning, and I owe on three of my five houses, and one of my cars. I love the hypocrisy shown by some people on this forum. They offer instruction on how others live their lives yet 10:1 says they did not adhere to their own advice. If I am wrong I will apologize in advance, but i am pretty certain I am not
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vicg1

As I am sure you have done with all your purchases. i am certainly not drowning, and I owe on three of my five houses, and one of my cars. I love the hypocrisy shown by some people on this forum. They offer instruction on how others live their lives yet 10:1 says they did not adhere to their own advice. If I am wrong I will apologize in advance, but i am pretty certain I am not

First, I never said I did it. I also never said you were drowning nor did I mention anyone specifically. I told you what many people do. I also shared what I learned about Greek culture while there on vacation.

But, as a matter of fact, that is how I buy stuff. I owe nobody, so I accept your apology and leave you to go peddle your hypocrisy comments elsewhere.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I never heard of anyone putting a house on a credit card, and cars only rarely.

I have heard of debit cards. I have one. I use it (rarely) to make purchases, and (often) to remove cash from the ATM so I can make purchases.

I may one day set up a merchant account, but for now, I will not. I see no reason to give up 3% of my GROSS sale for the "convenience" of using a card.

I remember doing business with Dick Cepek, a truck/off-road accessory sales outfit, back in the 1970s. Cepek did not take credit cards, and this was before there was any such thing as a debit card. He stated: "Take your card to the bank, get some money, send me the money." Dick made sense.

I don't think I am a hypocrite. I have a mortgage, but not for much longer. I have no other debt. The last three vehicles I bought, I paid cash for.

Cash is king; debt is dumb. Please see www.daveramsey.com
  • elLOCOmuthaelLOCOmutha Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Credit?! In this economy? Sacrilege!
  • jon ojon o Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by nunn

[:0][:0][:D][:D][:D]