In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Midway's On...Gotta Go

njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
edited May 2003 in General Discussion
The movie, Midway just started on AMC. Anytime a good WWII movie comes on, Mrs njretcop props me up in my recliner in front of the TV set. Then she goes to the safe and gets out out my "mint" 1943 Springfield Garand, just in case, you never know how these movies are gonna end, LOL.

Blue_car.gif

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reminder!!!!!!!!!! [:D][:D][:D][:D]
    oops Not yet for me (left coast feed) got Sands of Iwo Jima then Midway looks like I will be watching TV alone tonite [;)] good dubble header!

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

God Bless our Troops
    Virtutis-Gloria-Merces
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get a lump in my throat everytime I see those U.S. torpedo planes attack the one Jap carrier. Only one flyboy lives and he is in the water watching the whole battle. But the best part is when the japs have the bombs on deck and we hit em'. My dad actually was on a Carrier during the battle. He never watched the movie.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    thats one of my fav movies to bad i got to go get me a turkey in the am
  • magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Airforce was on this morning and then 30 seconds over tokyo after that. At the end of Airforce they show a bunch of clips of planes taking off and some are P400's. Pretty rare plane !!! I wonder if the footage was shot at Port Moresby?

mag
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Love that movie! Got to see a good portion of it at my girlfriend's house.

-Clinton
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Henry Fonda ruins the whole movie for me.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, but Pat Morita will always be Mr. Myagi. Hope Edward Albert (Heston's son) has a day job. The combat scenes were pretty good but I keep picking the authenticity apart.
    "Launch the TBF's" and we see a deckload of F6F's.
    Close ups of machine guns that don't belong on the aircraft that are supposedly firing them.
    Many other minor "artistic license" faux pas but all-in-all a good movie. I particularly liked how they identified the participants.

How did Fonda spoil it?

Charlie...I've got a fully restored 1943 Winchester Garand.

Mudge the critic

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Had to see "Midway" again last night. Great. When I last visited the Smithsonian in D.C., about 20 years ago, they had a special display dedicated to Torpedo 8. It was good to see them properly enshrined, photos and story. Their leader, Waldron, was as one character said, part Indian. There is to this day a myth that he stood up in his cockpit, once he knew recovery was hopeless, and rode it in like a warrior. Lump in the throat? Me, too.
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Mudge, who wants a junky old 1943 Winchester Garand?

ME!!

I'll trade you, LOL.

Blue_car.gif

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First Fonda's overacting spoiled both Midway & Battle of the Buldge.
    Second, all the time I'm watching him I can't help thinking of his bad seed.
    The battle scenes are amusing when you note that they made little effort to match the historical clips to the type of plane that should be involved. For example when they say a torpedo plane or dive bomber is being shot down & they show a single seat fighter.