In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help - mailing important letter to Canada

benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
I have to mail an important letter from Oklahoma to Grunthal MB Canada. I have never mailed something to another country. What is the procedure? Do they have an Express Mail to get it there fast like we do in the US? Would I get this service at our post office?

What would be the format for labling the envelope? Do I use something like:

Mr. John Smith
PO Box 100
Grunthal, MB ROAORO

Would that be enough info to get the letter delivered in Canada?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Global Express Mail will run you right about $17.00. You could also send it by Registered Mail. Your PO should be able to provide you with both classes of Mail. The country name will have to be the very last word in the address and in capitol letters.

Mr. John Smith
    PO Box 100
    Grunthal, MB ROAORO
    CANADA

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

aglore@gci.net
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aglore
    Global Express Mail will run you right about $17.00. You could also send it by Registered Mail. Your PO should be able to provide you with both classes of Mail. The country name will have to be the very last word in the address and in capitol letters.

Mr. John Smith
    PO Box 100
    Grunthal, MB ROAORO
    CANADA

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

aglore@gci.net

Thanks AlleninAlaska. I will take it to the post office Monday and use Global Express Mail. It will be worth the $17 to get it there a little faster.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    benzapped, I've sent a lot of stuff internationally and found the delivery acceleration to be spotty. I once sent some documents with the USPS' highest level of "service" and it took them 2-3 days just to move the freaking thing from NH to NYC. It was not delivered to the recipient for twelve days - and some of the documents were lost going through a customs check so I had to send again. I had a similar lag sending paperwork from NH to Nova Scotia. If it is important enough to invest in the Global Priority, check out what it would cost FedEx / UPS / DHL. If I use Registered Mail, I'm certain the item will arrive at some point, so if time is not an issue, I use snail mail. If time is an issue, the mail is my last option.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Registered maid is the most secure but it is not the fastest.
    The extra security slows it down as it has to be signed for &
    secured at all points in its journey.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    REgistered mail is a JOKE.......don't waste your money. Just INSURE it if it is valuable.

Merc (who ships a couple thousand items a month.....)

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. " - Al Capone, (1899-1947)

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Insured only means it has to be signed for at delivery. (And
    some Insured don't even have to be signed for.) There
    is no tracking & no security in between.
    Registered mail has to be signed for each time it is transferred.
    If you are sending valuable items to many other countries "Registered" is the only way to go.