In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Finally got around to working on the old Johnson..

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
No, not that one you perverts! [:D]

I'm talking about my old 3hp Johnson outboard motor that I was planning to work on last year. I haven't cranked it since 1988 and it had a miss and had to be run with the choke partially open at that time so it needs at least a carburetor kit and a good cleaning. The motor was made in 1966 and I inherited it from an uncle.

I started tearing it down and I noticed the gas line is as hard as a rock and it's broken and the spark plug wires don't look very good either. So I'm going to replace the electrical stuff too including the 2 coils, 2 sets of points, condensers, plugs and plug wires which I've ordered.

I also ordered a new water pump impeller and grease seal. All together I ordered $163 in parts.

I just went to Home Depot and bought some flange bolts for my flywheel puller. I thought maybe I could get it off without the puller but it won't budge.

This ought to keep me busy for a few days. After this motor I've only got one other motor that's not running and that's an old Homelite chainsaw that will be my next project. All my other pieces of equipment are running now including my pressure washer, rototiller, 2 lawn mowers, trail bike and generator.

I replaced the 2 carburetors on my lawn mowers this past year and put a new carb kit in my Honda trail bike. NO MORE ETHANOL GAS at my house ever!

DSCN1891.jpg

DSCN4817.jpg

DSCN4813.jpg

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got an old antique one i may work on someday...grandads ...been inside all this time since the 1940's
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just replaced the rubber impeller, string gaskets and cleaned the "fuel system" on a 1966, 9.9 HP Evinrude. Hasn't been started in 20 years. Runs like new[^]. These older ones like these have 2 rings on the piston, not like the later models with only one[xx(]
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a 1946 1 1/2 HP Elgin running, dont know why, Im not going to use it, now I just have to sell it to get my money out.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got the Kohler K 301 put back together after putting a set of rings in it.I think it will stop the smoking under load on the beloved old John Deere 212.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just pulled the flywheel and I'm surprised at how well it looks under there.

Looks like my uncle might have tuned it up at one time or another because those parts look like Mallory parts instead of stock parts. They have an "M" stamped on them.

Regardless they're still pretty old because I've not used the motor for 30 years and my uncle had a long illness before he died that kept him from being able to go fishing for the last 10 years of his life so the parts are at least 40 years old.

DSCN4827.jpg
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Looks like my uncle might have tuned it up at one time or another because those parts look like Mallory parts instead of stock parts. They have an "M" stamped on them.

Regardless they're still pretty old because I've not used the motor for 30 years and my uncle had a long illness before he died that kept him from being able to go fishing for the last 10 years of his life so the parts are at least 40 years old.

All of my parts are considerably older than that and "most" of them still work ....... [:D]
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love small old Outboards!
    I only have 10-15 after dumping a bunch of them over the last 5-10 years.
    My favorites are my 1939 Evinrude Mate 1/2HP and my 1939 Elto Cub 1/2HP.
    The Clarke Troller single cylinder from the same time period is an engineering masterpiece! So simple....
    A .75 HP Elto Pal is always a fun little motor too!
    I still have my Dads 1953 Evinrude 3hp that I ran on our river starting at about age 7. "First pull every time!"
    Keep us posted with your progress!
    The old Johnsons and Evinrudes are damn near bullet proof!!
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    had to go look...out to shop and it's an Evinrude Zephyr 4 cyl 5.4 hp 1946-48 ??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I took the carburetor apart this afternoon and was expecting to see some gunk but the bowl is clean as a whistle. I've cleaned carburetors that didn't come as clean as this one already is after 50+ years.

The gas tank is also as clean as the float bowl so obviously running the carburetor dry and dumping all the gas out of the tank after each use worked.

The carburetor still had the cork float in it so I don't think it's ever been apart before.

Anyway the only way it would run the last time I cranked it up back in 1988 was with the choke half open so there's a dirty jet some where.

I've got all the parts soaking in Berryman Chem-Dip tonight. Tomorrow I'll put them in my ultrasonic cleaner and then blow the parts out with air and spray carb cleaner.

DSCN4846.jpg

DSCN4851.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    had to go look...out to shop and it's an Evinrude Zephyr 4 cyl 5.4 hp 1946-48 ??

I remember seeing the Evinrude Zephyr like the 1949 model below at my grandpa's boatdock & restaurant back in the 50s & 60s but I never realized they had 4 cylinders. Seems like a lot of cylinders for just 5.4 hp?

s-l400.jpg
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek

I remember seeing the Evinrude Zephyr like the 1949 model below at my grandpa's boatdock & restaurant back in the 50s & 60s but I never realized they had 4 cylinders. Seems like a lot of cylinders for just 5.4 hp?

s-l400.jpg

I have one.
    Yup, 4 tiny little cylinders. When they run right, they run as smooth as silk!!
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The coils may have been made by Mallory for Johnson but they are the stock factory coils. quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

DSCN4827.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Latest update:

I put the old motor back together a few days ago and it's running as smooth now as it was 52 years ago.

I replaced the coils, plug wires, points, condensers, gas line, fuel filter, rebuilt the carburetor, installed a new water pump impeller and changed the lower unit gear grease.

I put her in the water barrel for a test run and she did just fine from a low idle to full speed without having to use the choke.

DSCN4935.jpg

DSCN4929.jpg

DSCN4927.jpg

DSCN4925.jpg

Now I need an aluminum Jon boat. I found that they are a lot more expensive today than they were when I bought the last one I had about 40 years ago but then so is everything else.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good thread as I like seeing things restored as not many people do it anymore. It should be about as good as new.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW, that is really cool. I love the old outboards. My pop had a 49 evinrude. Someone stole it out of his shed about 15 years ago. Wish I had the old girl. Great Job Smitty.