In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

PENNDOT, think they will pay a claim?

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
Since I'm here in my old stomping grounds I've been running around visiting friends I haven't seen in years. Was heading out to Aarons place in a road at one time I knew extremely well but haven't been on it in years.

My GPS freaked out thinking it was a non truck road, my road atlas does not list this road as restricted in any way, there are no signs stating No Trucks, no weight restrictions or low clearances, plus I know the road and log trucks and now pig trucks run it.

I'm driving along with no trailer going up the mountaint when all of a sudden KERPOW on top of the truck, I hit a tree branch. Stopped at a wide spot and my right side stack is butched. On the way back I stopped and looked at the tree I clobbered and that isn't just a branch hanging over the road it is a freaking log, part of the tree itself!

So I call the PSP and verify I was allowed on that road and asked if I needed a police report to CMA, road is good to go and no report needed. I called PENNDOT, filed a complaint with them and a claim for damages. DynaFlex custom exhaust isn't cheap!!

I explained that for commercial vehicles that if a road is not marked as having low clearance then statutory height in PA is 13'6" and my exhaust is measured at 13'4", I should have never hit it and since that is a legal truck road (verified) and not marked the fault is not mine. The road is a State Route which means the state is responsible for assuring that trees are not under 13'6" and this tree is clearly under that.

Think they will pay?

EF928563-1B83-4841-ABD9-695A400432B0_zpsfbbfw4pm.jpg

F4242580-1FEA-4B3F-AEE7-E815EDF9A0A0_zpsyhkooakh.jpg

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never rains but what it pours>
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That'll buff out.[:)]
    Last Thursday I caught a 220v line on the stack backing out of the hospital. The construction crew had run it over to a modular building for the X-ray machine.
    Hit the brakes when I heard the support on the building snap. Had it tuned to a A sharp, about the same pitch as the electrician's voice when he came to get it unhooked.[:D]
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will probably make you pay for the damage to the tree
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a Swift driver had done that, you would be pointing and laughing your butt off. Karma is a bitter pill, isn't it? [:D]
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    If a Swift driver had done that, you would be pointing and laughing your butt off. Karma is a bitter pill, isn't it? [:D]

No because they run into crap thats marked!
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Good luck with that. Most DOTs are hurting from oil revenues being depressed, it might take many months before you get any response.
    If you took plenty of pictures of the tree, your stack, the road, and any other damage to the tree (indicating other trucks had hit it), you might get some money. If, on the other hand, they come out & hack that limb off before you got convincing evidence that it was too low; Rotsa Ruck.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smoke still comes out right? [:D][:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask and you shall recieve?
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Hope it works out in your favor Lonnie.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck with that state.[;)] Gonna be a long hard battle and cost you a fortune in phone calls and so on. We hit a huge pot hole on 80, around the buckhorn truck stop about eight years ago. Took out the front tire, rim and sway arm on the expedition. Penndots response, Tough chit, not our problem.Cost a small fortune to get it towed and fixed.[:(!]