In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good eating

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
Take the Aldi brand frozen Asparagus (12 oz) and put it into a skillet with 1/4 cup of olive oil over med-low heat. Cook it in the oil, turning it a few times until thawed with a few sprigs showing sling browning.

Enjoy with your favorite steak and boiled red potatoes.

The left overs, including the oil is great on a salad too.

Bon App?tit
What's next?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Here's a link to a good pinto bean and cornbread recipe for you folks that like pinto beans buttermilk cornbread. I'd an extra pinch of salt for the cornbread recipe, or about a quarter teaspoon extra should you triple the amount, which would also require a forty to forty five minute cook time. And, if you do not like the buttermilk flavor, just use regular milk. Also, if you decide to use a slow cooker, just keep the water level about a quarter to half inch above the beans, cooking on high, and stirring every hour or two until just done and turn on warm. The bean soup should barely be above bean level when done.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/08/beans_and_cornb/
    What's next?
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long if it's served with FISH, Friday and in Wisc. you know, I might try it[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    As long if it's served with FISH, Friday and in Wisc. you know, I might try it[;)]

[:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got it my favorites great link and awesome recipe will post photo when I put that together[:p]

I made veal pasta and vegies for dinner tonight[^]

thanks Kimi!!
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I got my electric pressure cooker, I can have Pintos in 30 min. from dry. And they are better than any I ever soaked and cooked for hours.
    I eat more Pintos now than I ever have before. Use to have to wait for Mom to cook some.
    And with my home made Green Tomato chow and some corn bread there's nothing better.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Onehandude:

You're very welcome. [:)]

I seldom ever stick to recipes as written, but the results that the lady presents has the right look and basic types of ingredients for good beans and cornbread.

My mother grew up on a farm being the next to oldest of eleven children. Pinto beans was a staple in my home and she was a great cook. As you would know, it's important to always have some liquid above the top of the beans as they simmer and not as pictured in this recipe. Still, the lady has done a fine job of it. As for cornbread, I often try something different, and since it had been a long time since I had made any with buttermilk, I decided to try it again, although regular milk is by far my favorite of the two. And, I usually use self rising flour which, of course, negates the need for baking powder.

I'll be looking forward to the pictures that you post up! [:)]

fideau: I can't wait until I get the wife and I one! Maybe next week sometime. I really miss not being able to go into local store and buy chow, but it's not to be done around here.
    What's next?
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    Since I got my electric pressure cooker, I can have Pintos in 30 min. from dry. And they are better than any I ever soaked and cooked for hours.
    I eat more Pintos now than I ever have before. Use to have to wait for Mom to cook some.
    And with my home made Green Tomato chow and some corn bread there's nothing better.[:D]

I love my elect pressure cooker!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Onehandude:

I seldom ever stick to recipes as written, but the results that the lady presents has the right look and basic types of ingredients for good beans and cornbread.

My mother grew up on a farm being the next to oldest of eleven children. Pinto beans was a staple in my home and she was a great cook. As you would know, it's important to always have some liquid above the top of the beans as they simmer and not as pictured in this recipe. Still, the lady has done a fine job of it. As for cornbread, I often try something different, and since it had been a long time since I had made any with buttermilk, I decided to try it again, although regular milk is by far my favorite of the two. And, I usually use self rising flour which, of course, negates the need for baking powder.

fideau: I can't wait until I get the wife and I one! Maybe next week sometime. I really miss not being able to go into local store and buy chow, but it's not to be done around here.

Ha ha, yes her beans are a photo up, but the rest of her recipe makes much sense, like you said any good recipe will benefit from a little free lancing, Give me a couple days, I'll mess with the recipe and post! My veal tonight was a ton better than it looked, I'll try to post pic so you can have a Idea. Thanks much Kimi!! which we had more true chefs cooks around here[^]
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Onehandude
    Onehandude:

Ha ha, yes her beans are a photo up, but the rest of her recipe makes much sense, like you said any good recipe will benefit from a little free lancing, Give me a couple days, I'll mess with the recipe and post! My veal tonight was a ton better than it looked, I'll try to post pic so you can have a Idea. Thanks much Kimi!! which we had more true chefs cooks around here[^]

I'm not what you'd call a cook, not like you and some of the other folks here at GB, for sure!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the compliment though! [:D] I do try every now and then, but never the gourmet type stuff! [:)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not that hard Kimi![;)]
    here is my veal an pasta tonight.
    I'll come clean first with my escargot Medici our appetizer tonight and to be honest it means Snail in old recipe with a lot of cilantro. SORRY cool if you don't like it, incredibly to most is very good stuff even nutritionally[;)]

2u5s7s6.png

288plau.png
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks looks close to what my family and wife's made for years toss in a chunk of pork with the beans and let em cook . cornbread varies some but its still a staple and comfort food for this good ol boy [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not that hard Kimi![;)]
    I'll come clean first with my escargot Medici our appetizer tonight and to be honest it means Snail in old recipe with a lot of cilantro. SORRY cool if you don't like it, incredibly to most is very good stuff even nutritionally[;)]

2u5s7s6.png

288plau.png

I've never tried the veal and pasta dish, although I did have an escargot dish in either Italy or France, can't remember which. I think it might have been an appetizer as well. Where did you learn this sort of cooking?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not that hard Kimi![;)]

2u5s7s6.png

288plau.png

I've never tried the veal and pasta dish, although I did have an escargot dish in either Italy or France, can't remember which. I think it might have been an appetizer as well. Where did you learn this sort of cooking?

I got it from my Maternal gramps, but is something not learned per say, it's more like the here say of good food, something that grows and develops as part of the old ways I guess.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deer sausage in the beans....my way of cooking...
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop

Well yesterday it was Friday in Wisconsin and I went for a perch fry. Went with the kids and grand kids to a new restaurant for us anyway. The perch fry was good and everyone else in the party enjoyed their food as well. My son ordered a Nacho plate as an appetizer and the wife and me like it so much we went back there again late this morning.[;)][^][^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just finished off a lunch of pinto beans and neckbones with cornbread. Flavor was outstanding.

Laid two pounds of pork neckbones in the slow cooker yesterday, covered them with two to three cups of pinto beans after overnight soak and rinse. Added water to about 1/2 inch above that and all of the seasoning except salt, i.e one level tsp of cayenne pepper, one level tsp of oregano, and about 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of garlic powder, and one large onion cut into eight pieces, with a bit of stirring. Cooked on high for three hours, then opened and stirred again. Repeat that after two additional hours, then added one tsp of salt and stirred again. Then opened and stirred at one hour interval so as not to over cook the beans. Total time from adding cold meat and beans to finish was 7&1/2 hours which is when I placed it on warm and the wife and I ate supper. (skim fat) Transferred the food from the slow cooker to a cold pot one hour later.
    What's next?