In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Texas folks, How does this route look?

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Sandy and I are headed to the Hill Country on the motorcycle from Lewisville. We want to do more back roads than highways, and no interstates, so here's my plan.

We will leave Lewisville west on 407 all the way to 287. South on 287 to 114, then 114 west to Boyd (we will stop in Aurora at the Tater Junction for breakfast) then take 730 south out of Boyd to 180, 180 west to Weatherford and then start our southern turn.

We will get on Old Dennis Road heading south out of Weatherford until it hooks up with 1189. We'll follow 1189 to Morgan Mill, then get on 281 all the way to Hamilton.

We'll take 2005 to Goldthwaite, then get on 16 to San Saba. At San Saba, if all is well and she isn't too tired, I want to head east on 190 to the 580 cutoff, and take that to the 501 junction just west of Bend, then 501 back to 16 in Cherokee. If she is starting to wear down, we'll stay on 16 south and save a few mile, but 580 and 501 are some nice bike roads.

Either way, once we are south of Cherokee, we'll stay on 16 until we get to the 965 cutoff. Again, if she's tired, we'll stay on 16 all the way to Fredericksburg, but if she's up to it, we'll take the 965 turn and take it the rest of the way to Fredericksburg and call it a day there.

That's about 330 or 340 miles, and I figure she will be ready for a good rest. We will station out of Fredericksburg for the rest of the week and ride in and out of there until we come back home either Saturday or Sunday depending on how she feels.

1189, 2005, 580, 501, and 965 are all on my riders suggested road list, so I really want to hit those if I can.

Any road construction or local knowledge and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

After hearing what Dano had to say in the other post, I guess we'll do 5 or 6 water/walking stops on this trip.[^]

outlook1.jpg

Comments

• txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I have only been on a few pieces of that stretch of road, it ought to be dog gone beautiful this time of year. Enjoy your trip!
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    Should make for a great little trip for Sandy and yourself just be safe [:)]
    taz
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good route. I eat at Tater Junction sometimes. Yer gonna be about 20 miles from my house between Boyd and Weatherford.

Be safe and have fun!
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick
    Good route. I eat at Tater Junction sometimes. Yer gonna be about 20 miles from my house between Boyd and Weatherford.

Be safe and have fun!

I made that same run down 114 to 730 yesterday, but we didn't stop to eat. In fact, I make that run a lot when heading west or south of DFW on the bike. Maybe we can meet up for breakfast some day![;)]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    google
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like that. Weekends are best too. Well, all I have![:D]

That would be cool. I love breakfast.[8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    google

No, MS Streets and Trips and Garmin Mapsource.[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick
    I'd like that. Weekends are best too. Well, all I have![:D]

That would be cool. I love breakfast.[8D]

I'll try to drop you an email next time I head that way.[;)]
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, 2005 to Goldthwaite is a long crooked SOB. 33 miles to be exact, and cars hardly ever obey speed limits and never stay in their lane in the curves. The shoulder is mostly loose rock and usually drops off. As you come into Golthswaite, there is a house on the left with a million goats, they tend to get out, and you have threat of deer as well.

BE CAREFUL ON THIS ROAD!!!

Been down this road a million times going deer hunting since I was a child...

Oh, and you may checkout Lukenbach Texas if you stay on 190 E far enough. And Fredericksdburg is amazing around Christmas time. People come from around the world to visit. They decorate the entire town and almost everynight is something going on between 11-21 - 12-25

Have a safe and fun trip.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    Hey, 2005 to Goldthwaite is a long crooked SOB. 33 miles to be exact, and cars hardly ever obey speed limits and never stay in their lane in the curves. The shoulder is mostly loose rock and usually drops off. As you come into Golthswaite, there is a house on the left with a million goats, they tend to get out, and you have threat of deer as well.

BE CAREFUL ON THIS ROAD!!!

Been down this road a million times going deer hunting since I was a child...

Oh, and you may checkout Lukenbach Texas if you stay on 190 E far enough. And Fredericksdburg is amazing around Christmas time. People come from around the world to visit. They decorate the entire town and almost everynight is something going on between 11-21 - 12-25

Have a safe and fun trip.

The biker road list said it was a tough road, but worth it. We'll be going slow and expecting bad drivers on all of the backroads, but thanks for the heads up.

We are going to Luckenbach and staying in Fredericksburg. I love the Hill Country!
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Danny, just head South. I need to clean out the new pipes, and I'll even feed ya. [:D][:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tneff1969
    Danny, just head South. I need to clean out the new pipes, and I'll even feed ya. [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Just how far south are you talking Tim, and remember, it's cheaper to buy me a house than to feed me![}:)]
    edited November -1
    Houston is to far out of your way, reckon I'll have to plan a ride up your way. We put a shipping container out back for my workshop, pretty sure we can rig you up a decent sleeping spot. [:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Houston is to far out of your way, reckon I'll have to plan a ride up your way. We put a shipping container out back for my workshop, pretty sure we can rig you up a decent sleeping spot. [:D][:D]

Y'all could meet in San Antonio...
    edited November -1

Yep, she won't make Houston, but there may be a next time depending on how this one goes.[^]
    edited November -1
    If your offering to buy, I'll call you next time I head to Helotes for work. [:D]
    edited November -1
    If your offering to buy, I'll call you next time I head to Helotes for work. [:D]

Drop me an email. If I have that weekend free, I'll buy!
    edited November -1
    Oh and heres a place you might want to make the extra trip for, I think it might be 20 miles out of the way but should be worth it.

http://www.dublindrpepper.com/?OVRAW=Dublin Dr Pepper&OVKEY=dublin dr pepper&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=1076536022&OVKWID=7810837522
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    when ya goin i may be in the area of Goldwaite
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's going to be a great route right through some beautiful hill country.
    What's next?