In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Great Police Officer

yawarakaiyawarakai Member Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in General Discussion
The Great Police Officer Well, Mr. Citizen, it seems you've figured me out. I seem to fit neatly into the category where you've placed me. I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical.

Unfortunately, the reverse is true.. I can never figure you out. From birth you teach your children that I'm the bogeyman, and then you're shocked when they identify with my traditional enemy. the criminal!

You accuse me of coddling criminals. until I catch your kids doing wrong. You may take an hour lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer for having one cup.

You pride yourself on your manners, but think nothing of disrupting my meals with your troubles. You raise cain with the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws. but you've never gotten a single ticket you deserve.

You shout "foul" if you observe me driving fast to a call, but raise the roof if I take more than 10 seconds to respond to your complaint.

You call it part of my job if someone strikes me, but call it police brutality if I strike back. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a tooth or your doctor how to take out an appendix, yet you're always willing to give me pointers on the law.

You talk to me in a manner that would get a bloody nose from anyone else, but expect me to take it without batting an eye. You yell something's got to be done to fight crime, but you can't be bothered to get involved.

You have no use for me at all, but of course it's OK if I change a flat for your wife, deliver your child in the back of the patrol car, or perhaps save your son's life with mouth to mouth breathing, or work many hours overtime looking for your lost daughter.

So, Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my work, calling me every name in the book, but ever stop to think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends on me or one of my buddies. Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me.the lousy cop! Trooper Mitchell Brown of the Virginia State Police was killed in the line of duty two months after writing the article.

Comments

• Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great article and very true,Thank You for posting it.[^]
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Maybe he should have found a job where he was appreciated more.
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Accurate description of how many civilians feel about LEO's, but not accurate as to the author.

(I wish more people would check before they post things as being true)

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/police.htm
  • Options
    HDRIDERHDRIDER Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

AND THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN????? [?]
  • Options
    hicap47hicap47 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe he needs a job where he doesn't have to deal with the great unwashed masses.......
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, but you lost me with that statement right there, quoted below. The day I give up MY right to defend my life, family and property to ANYONE else, will be the day I die. The police are not responsible for my family's or my personal safety, nor do I want them to be.

quote:...but ever stop to think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends on me or one of my buddies.

Don't get me wrong... I respect anyone who is in the field of police work and makes an honest difference to the people. I just won't give up my right of self-defense to someone else.

Big Al (this sentence actually jumped out at me from the text, so I just had to reply...)
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rebel_James
    I wish more people would check before they post things as being true. If that happened, there would be far, far fewer posts on Gunbroker. [:D][:D]
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    I wish more people would check before they post things as being true. If that happened, there would be far, far fewer posts on Gunbroker. [:D][:D]

Don't YOU know it. Don
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    --Yo yaw-no truer words were ever spake-rebel and bigal--bleen you--[}:)][}:)]--JIMBO
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    --Yo yaw-no truer words were ever spake-rebel and bigal--bleen you--[}:)][}:)]--JIMBO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HDRIDER
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

AND THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN????? [?]

Fireman, EMT, Plumber, Auto mechanic, Roofer, Doctor, Carpet installer, Dell Customer service rep, UPS driver, etc.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    So what's your point?

I'm not in your chain of command so this ain't gonna get you a raise.
  • Options
    KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WAAAAHHHHH I am LEO, and you must respect my authority. Try being A peace officer instead of an LEO, and you may see A difference in folks attitude.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KYfatboy
    WAAAAHHHHH I am LEO, and you must respect my authority. Try being A peace officer instead of an LEO, and you may see A difference in folks attitude.

Fatboy, you make a good point. Most cops got it bass ackwards. You've had a good shift if you HAVEN'T had to make an arrest.
    Which cop would you want in your town, Sheriff Taylor or Barney Fife?
  • Options
    yawarakaiyawarakai Member Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accurate description of how many civilians feel about LEO's, but not accurate as to the author.

(I wish more people would check before they post things as being true)

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/police.htm

O.K. so I forgot to check one item. This is the first one I have had without checking snopes. The funny thing is I am usually the one e-mailing friends to check snopes before sending me stuff.
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    The only problem I have is the word "citizen". Police officers are "citizens" also. Not some elite military group. As they will swiftly find out if the martial law that some seem to advocate comes to pass! We do need to respect our law officers. And they need to return that respect! Its a thankless job but every law officer out there should (and probally has) been informed of this as a rookie. So no whining if some * disrespects you. (did you bring this attitude on by being overly arrogant?) Or is he just an everyday pita? Most folks I know will back law enforcement 100% if the officer is not one of the 1% or so of those that should have never even been considered for the job in the first place. The "closing of ranks" around those types is the #1 cause of public distrust of law enforcement. Admit it all of you LEO's know at least one of them!
    just my .02

Allen
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yawarakai;
    I appreciate your post. I'm sure it is frustrating being a police officer. Anyone working with the general public could write a similar article.

I work in an Emergency Room where people equate ER with drive-through. "I can't fart sitting up" "My throat burns when I smoke" "my hoocher bleeds every month--what do I do" "All four of my chillrens needs to be checked" (at 4am)

At least police officers make halfway decent money and receive due respect from most of the public. Beats working the drivethrough window at BK.[:D]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yawarakai
    The Great Police Officer Well, Mr. Citizen, it seems you've figured me out. I seem to fit neatly into the category where you've placed me. I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical.

Unfortunately, the reverse is true.. I can never figure you out. From birth you teach your children that I'm the bogeyman, and then you're shocked when they identify with my traditional enemy. the criminal!

You accuse me of coddling criminals. until I catch your kids doing wrong. You may take an hour lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer for having one cup.

You pride yourself on your manners, but think nothing of disrupting my meals with your troubles. You raise cain with the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws. but you've never gotten a single ticket you deserve.

You shout "foul" if you observe me driving fast to a call, but raise the roof if I take more than 10 seconds to respond to your complaint.

You call it part of my job if someone strikes me, but call it police brutality if I strike back. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a tooth or your doctor how to take out an appendix, yet you're always willing to give me pointers on the law.

You talk to me in a manner that would get a bloody nose from anyone else, but expect me to take it without batting an eye. You yell something's got to be done to fight crime, but you can't be bothered to get involved.

You have no use for me at all, but of course it's OK if I change a flat for your wife, deliver your child in the back of the patrol car, or perhaps save your son's life with mouth to mouth breathing, or work many hours overtime looking for your lost daughter.

So, Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my work, calling me every name in the book, but ever stop to think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends on me or one of my buddies. Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me.the lousy cop! Trooper Mitchell Brown of the Virginia State Police was killed in the line of duty two months after writing the article.

Thanks for the post.
    What's next?