In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

beyond simply "selfish" - what's wrong with me?

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
Need some serious advice and help, please. I'm having a really bad time in my relationship right now. Been married 15 years and I'm not going to go into the specific details of why I'm the reason it's falling apart. But it's mainly due to the fact that I'm selfish.

But it's beyond that, I care about other and care for my wife, but I'm not PASSIONATE. And her argument is valid - if it doesn't affect me, then it's like it's not happening at all. I know I should feel upset, anger, etc. if something happens that upsets her. Or if someone were to be mean to our kids, I should fly off the handle. But I don't. It's not that I feel NOTHING, but it just doesn't cause the same reaction in me.

So besides just simply labeling it "selfish," is there something wrong with me?

Comments

• Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may have emotional blocks or your wife may be hyper sensitive and think she is normal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    You may have emotional blocks or your wife may be hyper sensitive and think she is normal.

No, she's right, I understand & recognize that. What's emotional blocks?
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i read in a book once that a wise man was slow to anger,getting older has this effect on me.

its not that i dont care, its that i avoid the bs drama,
    your milage may vary jmho
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by evileye fleagal

Oh, I definitely like to avoid drama. But I will prefer to stick my head in a hole and let stuff blow over. I know that's not usually a good solution, but I am a coward in that respect.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You mention you're not easily angered. What about the other end of the spectrum? Do you get wound up and excited about the good things? Cut up and get silly enjoying a good laugh when called for?

Being slow to anger and calm when others are hopping mad is something I've always prided myself on. It just means I'm more focused and will take the time to do it properly when I rip someone's head off and poop down their throat.

At the other end of the spectrum, I enjoy a good joke and will laugh 'til it hurts right along with everyone else.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    You mention you're not easily angered. What about the other end of the spectrum? Do you get wound up and excited about the good things? Cut up and get silly enjoying a good laugh when called for?

Sometimes. It just depends on the situation. Sometimes I don't find things funny when the kids are being silly. Other times I am. I'm moody, that's for damn sure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callktulu

No, she's right, I understand & recognize that. What's emotional blocks?

Something happen in your past that ever require you to "be the man" and "keep it together" more often than you should have or at ages that should not be expected for you to?...it becomes a sort of defense mechanism. Happened to me when I was 12-15 with my parents. I basically had to become their emotional stability... I got used to dealing with a lot of things that we typically don't think a boy that age should have to deal with...I developed emotional blocks in response to this....didn't really effect me till years later when I was married....had two unborn children die along in pregnancy. I barley showed any emotion whatsoever. I'm not saying I should have been bawling like a baby for weeks on end, but to my wife it didn't even seem like I was affected whatsoever. We went to a marriage counselor, more for her than me I think/thought, until I realized that while I'm not given much to tears our losing my temper (I don't think flying off the handle is good) I had to learn to articulate in words effectively to my wife how it was affecting me so that she could realize that while I may not cry like some or get red faced like some, that I was still a human being who did care and felt emotions, I just don't express them. I might look at her straight faced and tell her I'm sad or I'm angry, but at least she has now gotten some kind of indication of what's going on in my head.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Something happen in your past that ever require you to "be the man" and "keep it together" more often than you should have or at ages that should not be expected for you to?

I don't think so. I know going to the Air Force Academy seriously screwed with my head. I still have anxiety nightmares and overall depression issues from that.
  • Options
    cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have been married 15 yrs and this is just surfacing. Sounds to me like something else is the problem. I would call you sound very reserved. You may also lack a little empathy. Just because she throws a big ball of guilt at you is no reason to grab it and hug it to you.
  • Options
    oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You say you care about your wife and your relationship is falling apart because your selfish and not passionate.
    Really, since you know the problem and the reason, it is a no brainer on the solution. If you really want her then put her on the top of your world so she feels it. She sounds worth it to you so it's quite simple. Things that are most important in your life are worth the extra work to keep and maintain. You will be surprised at the rewards that will come your way.
    Most relationships that end early are because they never tried to figure out the problem so the solution was never seen.

Good Luck to you and to her. I wish you the best!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldgunman
    You say you care about your wife and your relationship is falling apart because your selfish and not passionate.
    Really, since you know the problem and the reason, it is a no brainer on the solution. If you really want her then put her on the top of your world so she feels it. She sounds worth it to you so it's quite simple. Things that are most important in your life are worth the extra work to keep and maintain. You will be surprised at the rewards that will come your way.
    Most relationships that end early are because they never tried to figure out the problem so the solution was never seen.

See, I do know that, but I guess maybe I don't know HOW? Or I just get distracted or procrastinate or just don't care enough. I don't know how to flip a switch and make it a priority for ME.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldgunman

See, I do know that, but I guess maybe I don't know HOW? Or I just get distracted or procrastinate or just don't care enough. I don't know how to flip a switch and make it a priority for ME.

I'm no expert, but an old fella once told me that if you think of the other person's needs first, then you'll never have problems in your marriage.
    Hope things work out for ya.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I have some of the same issues that you have. I will tell you this for sure, If you care about your marriage at all, you best fix it while it's fixable. Do whatever it takes. Frankly, I think that it would be money well spent to see a therapist or councilor. If you wait for the other shoe to drop, it may be too late. Don't procrastinate on this one.

Good luck,

Dan
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I don't think so. I know going to the Air Force Academy seriously screwed with my head. I still have anxiety nightmares and overall depression issues from that.

I know this is going to come across as *, and i apologize....but PTSD from the Air Force Academy?

Did they run out of ice cream in the chow hall or something? [:)]

As far as the issues with your wife...I'm probably guilty of the same things you describe. Mostly I've found that just talking more to her helps. If she wants to rant for two hours about her day...listen, even if you don't particularly care [:)]. Maybe even provide some feedback.
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it that you're "selfish" or just "disinterested"? Sounds like depression to me. BTDT.

Get some sunshine, exercise and talk to a doc about some meds.

I waited almost too long but it has helped a bunch.

I was spending too much time on computer forums and not doing much else and knew something had to be done. Meds helped, along with some changes in lifestyle ( and support from my wife of 40 years).

Got some of my old woodworking tools out of storage and started doing something I liked and things got a lot better.

good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

I know this is going to come across as *, and i apologize....but PTSD from the Air Force Academy?

Did they run out of ice cream in the chow hall or something? [:)]

I never said PTSD, nor would I EVER claim something like that. I get nightmares, as do most of my classmates (in fact, we just had a long thread about it amongst us on Facebook). PTSD is a very serious issue, and I've never been through anything in my life like combat.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you just need to drink more...
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nar?cis?sis?tic
    #716;n?rs#601;#712;sistik/
    adjective
    adjective: narcissistic

having an excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
    "a narcissistic actress"
    synonyms: vain, self-loving, self-admiring, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, conceited, self-centered, self-regarding, egotistic, egotistical, egoistic; informalfull of oneself
    "she was never happy in the narcissistic life that her press agent and manager had crafted for her"
    relating to narcissism.
    "narcissistic personality disorder"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism

e?go?tis?ti?cal
    #716;#275;#609;#601;#712;tist#601;k(#601;)l/
    adjective
    adjective: egotistical

excessively conceited or absorbed in oneself; self-centered.

if that describes what you have described about yourself, you didnt get that from past experience or trauma, you need to own that and quit blaming anyone but yourself
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found that I too was very selfish. I was an accident ... No wait my parents always called me a blessing, so let's go with that. I went thru many specific details and finally arrived at a place where I just was not engaged. It was more comfortable to do what I will call my " ostrich syndrome". Fast forward to June 9,2012 when I decided to do something about my specific details. It's taken a good bit of work, but finally I am back engaged with life. It's just not what my default is, but it makes those around me much more happy and for the first time, that actually matters to me.

Please pm me anytime if you want a ear , I was there and didn't know how to get from there to here but, found some clarity.

I finally have hope

Ros
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are seeking serious psychological advice here then you actually do have profound issues.

Seriously though, look to a professional for help, it would be a shame to flush 15 years down the tube for the lack of really trying to fix whatever the problems are.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time to shake it up and mean it. If you don't and IF you really care for her,,,get out of the same ole, same ole,. After working in a hospital for 23 years, I could tell you stories about what women were saying about their spouses,,,DO something different,,imo,,ymmv.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by evileye fleagal

Oh, I definitely like to avoid drama. But I will prefer to stick my head in a hole and let stuff blow over. I know that's not usually a good solution, but I am a coward in that respect.

Well you can do like I did be loving, assertive, positive, God fearing and reactionary to input. That did not work worth a crap in any of my three marriages and divorces.

I have learned that no matter your answer; you are wrong. There is no pleasing the female of the species, they don't think like we do.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get roaring drunk and beat her up a couple of times and she'll beg you to go back to your old self.
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am thinking that there is a chemical imbalance in your brain. I take crazy pills or anti depressants if thats what you want to call it. I would see my family doctor about it and if that does not work i would go see a shrink.

I have been to one twice. I saw the same lady several years apart. My wife told me to go our we were splitting up. The shrink really really helped. She told me i need to shoot and fish more.

I have never been selfish in my life. My problem was i was to friendly. I consider myself a mans man and i am not ashamed to have help. I have been through way more than my share of things.

A strong man will ask for help. Knowing you have a problem is the hard part. The rest will be easy. Talk to a professional. I thought they would not be able to help and that they would be a joke. Made all the difference in the world.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    Get roaring drunk and beat her up a couple of times and she'll beg you to go back to your old self.

You never seem to run out of them. [:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspect this is a common consequence of the "Me Generation" coupled with Pilot training.
    As a pilot you can't afford to get emotional when things go very wrong as they sometimes do or accepting killing people not in self defense.
    Detachment from reality becomes an asset.
    In some situations/ jobs it can be a critical asset.
    As for expecting courtship level passion after 15 years, it's unrealistic and selfish.
    Many married women seeking the excitement of high levels of passion often take lovers to get it. Look at the numbers.
    Get some impartial professional counseling on this.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess maybe I don't know HOW? Or I just get distracted or procrastinate or just don't care enough. I don't know how to flip a switch and make it a priority for ME.

If it's important enough, you WILL find a way to make it a priority.

Either that or. . .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ask yourself the same question I did. When I am lying on my death bed, who do I want to look up and see?? Who do I want holding my hand and comforting me. If it is your wife, then start dedicating yourself to her. If not, Then move on. For me, my answer was simple. I want Donna by my side until the day the good lord calls me home. I am not perfect and sometimes, a down right jerk, but she has always been there for me. I gave up many things that I truly love, like hunting and fishing all the time, to dedicate myself to her and our son. They are my life and what makes me,me. She has never denied me these things and always told me to do what makes me happy. I tell her the same thing. We have had our ups and downs, but we always seem to meet on a common ground. That common ground is the love we have for each other and keeping our family together. Yes, sometimes we all feel like throwing in the towel, but that is when you have to stop and ask yourself these question. Marriage is work, 24/7 365+1. You might also want to go talk to your family doctor and see if depression meds will help. I did and that was the ticket also. It does help. Donna and I have been married 29 years, this month. There were times I wanted a divorce and we even separated as recently as January of this year. I guess we needed a break. Came home and rededicated myself again. Will it work??? I don't honestly know for sure, but I do know I won't stop trying. Our problems are personal and I won't get into them with anyone on here, but lets just say, were trying. We have somewhat grown apart and find ourselves going in two different directions. You need to figure it out for yourself. We can all give you are best armchair advice, but at the end of the day, it is really just you and her. I wish you luck my friend, just know that you are not the only one having to do this. You would really be surprised at how much life will change for the better, if you just learn to actually dedicate yourself to her. Oakie
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems that you have identified the issue, which is a significant step. If you want to change then you should seek professional, neutral help to accomplish that. You have to do it to make yourself better though, not just to please her. That is a waste of time.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love is a choice; marriage takes work. If you'd like to talk further, email me your number.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I suspect this is a common consequence of the "Me Generation" coupled with Pilot training.
    As a pilot you can't afford to get emotional when things go very wrong as they sometimes do or accepting killing people not in self defense.

Pilot training? You've lost me.....
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you are suffering from what most women recognize as being a "guy."

Anyone who happens to have this syndrome tends to be a little self absorbed. I also think that this is what makes guys less moody....more level headed and generally less drama filled than people who do not have this problem.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35

Pilot training? You've lost me.....

We are taught to compartmentalize....you are to put things in their box and not allow bleed over of one thing to the next....at least thats how the training used to be.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you have asked for help, and since you have military experience, why no use the VA as a starting point. I'm wishing you the very best of good fortune on all fronts.
    What's next?