.

How do I open an IMG file in Windows 10?

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,624 ✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in General Discussion
I would appreciate some help with opening IMG files and Zip files in Windows 10.
What's next?

Comments

  • AlpineAlpine Member Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just double click on pictures.

    love%20this%20post_zpszjnq88tl.jpg
    ?The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money.?
    Margaret Thatcher

    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
    Mark Twain
  • Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about an on-line image or one in your HD?

    I right-click on images in a post and "open in new tab"

    For images on my HD I double-click and that opens a page with editing options, then click on the three dots in the upper right corner and find "open" command.

    And no, person responsible for that does NOT want to meet me in a dark place[:(!][:(!]
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,624 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alpine
    I just double click on pictures.

    love%20this%20post_zpszjnq88tl.jpg


    [:D]
    What's next?
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,624 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wild Turkey
    Are you talking about an on-line image or one in your HD?

    I right-click on images in a post and "open in new tab"

    For images on my HD I double-click and that opens a page with editing options, then click on the three dots in the upper right corner and find "open" command.

    And no, person responsible for that does NOT want to meet me in a dark place[:(!][:(!]


    HD. Nothing works so far, but thank you for the response!
    What's next?
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member Posts: 59,466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 30,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best way is to take your windows 10 computer out to the range and shoot it full of holes with your 1911.

    Windows 10 sucks dirty gym socks.

    It acts like you need it to live and it tries to force you to do what it wants you to do not what you want.

    Did I mention Windows 10 sucks.
    I hate Windows 10.

    The last time I tried to open a pic it went into some spasm of installing windows media junk that had nothing to do with looking at the damm picture. [xx(][:(!][:(!]
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,624 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Install winzip.

    http://www.winzip.com/img-file.htm


    Thank you, Randy. I'm going to give that a try!!!!
    What's next?
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,624 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Install winzip.

    http://www.winzip.com/img-file.htm


    Got a message that this app cannot run on my PC. Any more ideas, Randy?
    What's next?
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,624 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    The best way is to take your windows 10 computer out to the range and shoot it full of holes with your 1911.

    Windows 10 sucks dirty gym socks.

    It acts like you need it to live and it tries to force you to do what it wants you to do not what you want.

    Did I mention Windows 10 sucks.
    I hate Windows 10.

    The last time I tried to open a pic it went into some spasm of installing windows media junk that had nothing to do with looking at the damm picture. [xx(][:(!][:(!]




    Not a bad idea, really!
    What's next?
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member Posts: 59,466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Install winzip.

    http://www.winzip.com/img-file.htm


    Got a message that this app cannot run on my PC. Any more ideas, Randy?

    What is the specific error message?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    James, typically ".img" files are created to contain an image of your hard drive, etc. Is this what you want to see the contents of or are you mentioning ".img" as a picture type file?

    And, within Windows 10, if you go through file explorer, find the zip file you want to open, if you click on it you will usually see the contents in the right viewing pane and if you want to extract the contents, right click on it and in the dropdown menu you should see the "Extract All" option.

    If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you have to install an app or windows media player first to open pictures

    zip files are hit an miss, google cnet.com and type in what you need for your os
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,624 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Install winzip.

    http://www.winzip.com/img-file.htm


    Got a message that this app cannot run on my PC. Any more ideas, Randy?

    What is the specific error message?




    "This app can't run on your PC" top line
    "To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher" bottom line

    The information I have is that the company is back east, and is possibly closed by now. I can check tomorrow.
    What's next?
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member Posts: 59,466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Install winzip.

    http://www.winzip.com/img-file.htm


    Got a message that this app cannot run on my PC. Any more ideas, Randy?

    What is the specific error message?




    "This app can't run on your PC" top line
    "To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher" bottom line

    The information I have is that the company is back east, and is possibly closed by now. I can check tomorrow.
    Try this link, and pick the download for your OS.
    http://www.winzip.com/*_info.html
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,624 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    James, typically ".img" files are created to contain an image of your hard drive, etc. Is this what you want to see the contents of or are you mentioning ".img" as a picture type file?

    And, within Windows 10, if you go through file explorer, find the zip file you want to open, if you click on it you will usually see the contents in the right viewing pane and if you want to extract the contents, right click on it and in the dropdown menu you should see the "Extract All" option.


    I have the extract all window up and I need to designate a file to extract them to. The file in the window is where the picture I am trying to get back was located, but when I click on Extract, I see the same IMG_1533 zipped image in the picture file. I had clicked on the picture earlier in the day and the next thing I saw was a zipped file among the rest of my pictures in that file. Does this make sense.
    What's next?
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    James, it sounds like when you initially were looking at the picture you somehow clicked on "Send To - Compressed Folder. If you click on that folder (it will be an image of a folder with a zipper) and right click and then click Extract All, it will ask you to designate where you want to unzip it to, browse to a folder if different than the one that contains the zipped file and select the folder, then finish the extraction. I just did a test of that scenario and it worked (zipped and unzipped). Good luck.

    If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,624 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the help Randy and Bill! Bill, I'm going to try this again later. Many thanks to ya'll!
    What's next?
Sign In or Register to comment.