In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best scope $150-$325

ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in General Discussion
Whats the best scope, mainly for deer hunting, and target shooting, between $150-$325. I want a variable power, lowest ill go is 5.5x. I was looking at Weaver V-series, and grand slams, Simmons Aetec, Redfields, Nikon Monarch, Burris FullField and Signature, and Pentax Whitetail Unlimiteds..

Any comments on these scopes would be appreciated..

rifle.jpg

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have a Tasco. silver antler, World Class, suggested Retail 250.00

Can be caught on sale for around 179.00, darn good scope, rugged, clear, and is 3x9

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"

Blue_star-eagle.gif
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    You know by now I prefer the Leupold, but for the price range I would go with the Simmons Aetec, or a Burris. I don't own an Aetec but I know a few who do and they are happy with them. By the way you can buy a Leupold Vx1 in that price range.

kilroy.gif
    PaBooger was here!
    pa.gif
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can still find a Leupold VariX-II for around $225 in 3-9X40
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    There ya go Pat, thats a fine scope at a reasonable price. Guaranteed forever.

kilroy.gif
    PaBooger was here!
    pa.gif
  • Options
    270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The thing about Leupold is soo many people love them, and so many people hate them. I keep reading that they lose their zero easily with larger calibers. And if I got a VXII, id be buying their bottom of the line scope, whereas I go with another brand like a Nikon Monarch, I'm buying their upper end scope.

Thanks for comments.

I do have a Simmons right now that isn't bad, maybe an Aetec w/ illuminated recticle would be nice..

"If it's brown, it's down"
    fishman.gifdeer.gif
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    For a low cost scope, go with the Weaver V-9 3-9x38mm, $150

It has forgiving eye relief, a distinct reticle, it has fully multi coated lenses, and is made of one piece aluminum construction.

I am not all that crazy about the Weaver V-10, the eye relief sucks.

For $400 I would go with a Ziess Conquest in 3-9x40mm. This is a great scope for the money.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last post by 270 DeerSlayer was really from ruger270man but he posted on my name.

"If it's brown, it's down"
    fishman.gifdeer.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wasn't talking about a VX-II. I was talking about a VariX-II. They are two different scopes. Nikon makes some VERY bright scopes. You won't be disappointed with a Nikon Monarch, Burris Signature or a Leupold for that matter. The Leupold VariX-II is no longer manufactured. You have to find someone that has one in stock. With regards to a scopes ability to hold up to heavy calibers...well...you're .270 isn't going to break a Leupold. In all of my contact with hunters and shooters I've never met anyone that's hated Leupold. I've only found Leupold lovers and people who can afford a Zeiss or a Swarovski. Zeiss and Swarovski aren't in my budget but a Leupold is. I'd never put another Simmons on another rifle ever again. To consider a Simmons over a Leupold is folly.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burris[8]

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.
  • Options
    WyomingSwedeWyomingSwede Member Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simmons Aetec all the way, rugged, holds zero. good glass. I prefer the 2.5-10x but the 4-14 is OK too.

swede

WyomingSwede
  • Options
    hunter223hunter223 Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Luepold all the way. If not go with Nikon.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Just bought a couple of Burris and a Pentax scope. All slightly used. A Burris 3x9 mini, a 4x12 mini, a 3x9 fullfield and a Pentax 3x9 Lightseeker. Not one of them was over $200. All very good condition except for the slight ring marks.

AlleninAlaska

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
    -- Thomas Paine
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, I stick my foot in my mouth again. I've never tried the Simmons Aetec. I've been turned off by their other models and won't risk another Simmons purchase. The only exception I would make would be to put a cheap fixed-power Simmons on my .22. That's it. Then again, the last Simmons that I put on that rifle broke too but it wasn't a significant investment.