In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Glock 23 failures?

TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Anyone familiar with incidents of barrel lug or locking block pin failure/damage with G23's?

A recent alert from a Deleware LE agency due to having their second pistol in four months completely shear a barrel lug has brought to light similar reports from other agencies.

This DE outfit's lug failures occurred four months apart with 2 out of 17 department owned pistols (serials CVM460US and CVM478US). During both incidents they were firing their standard training ammunition (Speer Lawman 155gr TMJ) but from different lot numbers. These pistols were reported to be pretty high mileage, but had been restricted to a diet of this training ammunition and their Speer Gold-Dot 155gr JHP issued duty round.

They're relating that their alert has brought feedback from other agencies who have also experienced both locking block issues and bent or sheared locking block pins on their G23's. These agencies are saying Glock is dealing with the pin issue by refitting their pistols with oversize items.

In one of these reports, a small federal agency has reported 4 barrel lug failures out of a batch of only 175 G23 pistols. I have no information on the age or serial number range of these guns.

I'm really not trying to start a Glock bash fest with this, just seeking any knowledge of similar incidents or any manufacturer notifications to G23 owners people here might be aware of.

EDIT: I have contact info for the DE agency's ordnance officer/armorer for any LE personnel who can give input on this issue.

Comments

• 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Glock 23, but it's neither high mileage, nor fired often.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    Let me know if you find something. I carry a 23. it is very high milage, I put 100 rounds through it about every other week.

Never had the first misfire. Very reliable weapon.

I don't see any info from Glock out there. THe FFL I use is a Glock armorer. I will see what he knows. Should be seeing him this week.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, never had a problem with my 23, however, Glock halted production on their 10mm about 3 years back because slides were shearing the pins and hitting people in the face...

If you can imagine what a shock that would be, pull the trigger on a 100mm and a split second later you are smacked in the face with a slide... FT!
  • IngallsIngalls Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I guess Ill take one for the team. Everyone send me all of your factory .40 ammo, and out of the goodness of my heart, I will shoot it all through my G23. I will give reports every thousand rounds and pictures at the ten thousand mark. Your Welcome[:D].
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I used to own a 2nd generation GLOCK 23. It has had 10's of thousands of rounds put through it. It has NEVER malfunctioned. I have fired it red hot at the SCCJA range and let many other people fire it. I have fired BLAZER, WINCHESTER, REMINGTON UMC, 3 D and just about everything else you can think of out of it. I am also a GLOCK armorer. I know that there are many GLOCK haters on here. I loved mine. I love all firearms. I have my favorites. All have a specific purpose. I have yet to find a cure all, serve all, do all weapon.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    I used to own a 2nd generation GLOCK 23. It has had 10's of thousands of rounds put through it. It has NEVER malfunctioned.Understood, but...quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Anyone familiar with incidents of barrel lug or locking block pin failure/damage with G23's?.....

I'm really not trying to start a Glock bash fest with this, just seeking any knowledge of similar incidents or any manufacturer notifications to G23 owners people here might be aware of.No offense intended, but no need to defend. As I said, this wasn't posted as any sort of bashing attempt.

The related incidents are real and I'm just trying help these folks out by learning if anyone here has experience with or knowledge of similar issues.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,185 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one for over 10 years. Lots of rounds, never a problem
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,185 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one for over 10 years. Lots of rounds, never a problem