In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sighted in the old Savage 99 .243 today!!!

paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
I took a half a day off and went to the range to site in that Old Savage Model 99, .243 I picked up the other day! Im Happy it's a shooter!
First pic is 3 shots at 25 yds
2nd is 5 shots at 50 yds
3rd is 5 shots at 100 yds
This was all done with factory ammo, with a cheap Bushnell 4 power scope! I think Ill keep the gun!!![:D]
99-25.jpg
99-50.jpg
99-100.jpg

pacamopasrear.gif

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
This was the Ancient law of Youth
Old times are past, old times are done:
But the Law runs true, O little son!

Comments

• 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Looks like your scope could use some adjusting, that 25 yard group looks like my 100.[:D]

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Not bad. [:D]

fb0d9d60.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I always new you Hill Billies was better shots!!!![:D]

pacamopasrear.gif

• muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're right pa...it's a shooter. [:D] Hope you can get a big buck with it sometime.
    Does this model 99 have the little window with a little brass wheel inside that indicates the number of rounds left in the magazine? I always thought that was a neat feature on the .250/3000 that I used to have. Gave it away about 15 years ago to a friend that was always borrowing it. I got tired of him borrowing it, so.........[:D][;)]
    muley
    edited November -1
    Muley : Yes it does!!!
    Gave it away!!!!! Are you nuts!!! Do you have any idea how hard those things are to find in 250/3000! Have you seen how much they are getting for them!!!
    What else do you have to give away???[:D]

pacamopasrear.gif

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Told ya they are fun Pa!

Hey Muley, does your friend want to sell it?

My heros have always killed cowboys.
    edited November -1
    He Dog: I never thought Id find a gun that I liked to shoot better than that Sako I have, but this old 99 is it! Your right it is fun to shoot! It'll be interesting to see how well it will shoot with a good scope and some reloads!

pacamopasrear.gif

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Do you have any idea how hard those things are to find in 250/3000! Have you seen how much they are getting for them!!!

PA how much are they getting for them these days I have one at the folks house that is about 95% was my moms deer gun, the bluing looks brand new. No scope on it, just buckhorn sites.

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif
    Proud Member of
    The Secret Society of
    Black Helicopter Pilots
  • muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAHAHA....I never claimed to be the roundest marble in the bag. [:D][;)] I would like to have it back, but this guy was deported to Oregon somewhere. He and his wife had an argument and she told the Sheriff, who happens to be my fishing buddy, that he pushed her down. So, according to California law, this is the same as dousing her with gasoline and lighting it and shooting at her with a shotgun and a 125g Muzzy broadhead. [:D][;)]The deputies seized all the firearms in the house, even though none were involved, and took them away. He was found guilty and never could get the guns back. So, he fled to Oregon...Anyway, it wasn't the best gun I gave away in my life. But that is another story. [:D][:D]
    muley the easy
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where did ya find that little shooter. Gonna harvest a deer with it this year?

What brand of ammo did you use?

I bet if you handloaded you could have that same 25yd clover leaf at 100yds.
  • KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, Pa -

I've got a Model 99EG .250-3000 residing in the gun safe right now that was made 'way back in 1941.

It's been promised to Cointoss2 up in Michigan land when he figures out if he's flying down to pick it up or have it FedEx'd. A Weaver 4x widefield (old model) and the bases/rings go with it. Has a Redfield tang mounted peep on it right now. Ain't gonna tell ya what I let my pard have it for - it would cause you lots of lost sleep at nights!

He Dog had a crack at it, but got tied up with home remodeling and other gun purchases. Se La Vie!

Keep off the Ridgeline
    edited November -1
    Franc: if ya ever want to part with it let me know!!

Lee: Hopefully Marky will harvest his first deer with it this year!
    I have some empty brass now so Ill be reloading some for it this weekend!
    I was shooting Remington, express rifle shells, 50 grain, PSP
    I bought the gun a couple of weeks ago at the local gun shop, I had to part with my 1187 turkey gun to get it, but Ive been looking for one of these for awhile now, I can always get another shotgun!
    sav1.jpg
    sav2.jpg
    sav3.jpg
    sav4.jpg

pacamopasrear.gif

edited November -1
    FranF if it really is in 95% condition and is all original, never been bored and tapped for scope mounts, It could fetch upwards of $800, maybe a little more on a good day. I have been looking for one for a while, and high condition all originals are not that easy to trip over. Because that cartridge was used a lot on varmints, many of them have been bored and tapped after-market, which knocks down the value a lot.

• leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, thats a prize, well worth parting an 1187.
    edited November -1
    Listen to Hedog he knows what he is talking about, Ive only ever seen a couple at the shows and they were asking $850. Lots of 99's but very few 250/3000's.

pacamopasrear.gif

edited November -1
    HeDog- Thanks! Its Box stock and never been touched. That .250 was moms favorite Deer gun and no one was allowed to touch it, and I think dad did few small black bears with it as well. The bad part is mom says "It is your's but only after I die"

Think my Dad bought it back in the mid 40's.

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif
    Proud Member of
    The Secret Society of
    Black Helicopter Pilots
    edited November -1
    That is a treasure FranF, I woulda hated to be bidding against Pa, so I am glad it is staying in the family!

edited November -1
    L.O.L. You would have one as I am broke!!![:D] Franc iffin ya aever sell it Ill kick your butt!! Pass it down from generation to generation!!!

pacamopasrear.gif

edited November -1
    The only thing that is diff. from PA's is the forend stock is thiner.
    and the way the pic looks, it's as clean as PA'S. If I get up to the folks house this weekend I will take a pic of it.

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif
    Proud Member of
    The Secret Society of
    Black Helicopter Pilots
    edited November -1
    The earlier versions of the 99F did not have the impressed checkering. If you want to send me the serial number sometime I will dig out the books and send you the information I can find on it. If you don't have the original hangtag and instruction sheet, there is a guy on the auction side that sells really good reproductions.

edited November -1
    Thanks He Dog for the info! NOW I got to go look at it and refresh the ole noggin [:D]

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif
    Proud Member of
    The Secret Society of
    Black Helicopter Pilots
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Nice group with that 99.Must of had one of your kids shoot it.An old fart like you can't do that.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Pretty durn good shooting, and Off hand at that, dont want you shooting at me, so I MIGHT lay off the short jokes.
    (NAH)