In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Truth or rumor?

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Buddy told me today one of the next gun grabber tricks is to require powder to expire in a couple years after purchase to prevent anyone from stockpiling it?
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    can't find the link right now but the last I read rumor I can't remember if it was on GOA web site but that is where I think I seen it
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I bet the powder companies love this idea.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Been around since the 70's but I am sure they will try anything they can.

A rumor like this will also drive crazy buying of current stocks of powder.
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really don't think that it is physically/chemically possible to engineer powder with a set shelf life. What breaks down powder is oxygen - in an airtight container (including cartridges) it will last a very long time.
    RUMOR!!!
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1fisher
    I really don't think that it is physically/chemically possible to engineer powder with a set shelf life. What breaks down powder is oxygen - in an airtight container (including cartridges) it will last a very long time.
    RUMOR!!!
    It is obvious that there is a lack of oxygen being introduced into the brains of our politicians as well. I guess that means they will be around awhile also [xx(]
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Real black powder does not ever deteriorate if stored properly, and SAA's and leverguns will not be subject to magazine capacity bans or black rifle bans, so you'll miss at least the first couple rounds of gungrabbin'. And 1860 Army repros aren't even considered firearms, but I'd hate to have someone shoot at me with one.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44caliberkid
    Real black powder does not ever deteriorate if stored properly, and SAA's and leverguns will not be subject to magazine capacity bans or black rifle bans, so you'll miss at least the first couple rounds of gungrabbin'. And 1860 Army repros aren't even considered firearms, but I'd hate to have someone shoot at me with one.
    If I had to resort to black powder pistols I think I would grab my pse first [xx(]
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    I talked to a Winchester rep. when the rumor started about dated primers .
    He said if there was a way ,that the ammo companies would have already done it .
    Don't believe that it is possible .
    Also ,could you imagine the lawsuits ?
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if something like this were to happen, BTW i think its a rumor too, would the powder companies have to buy any unsold powder back from retailers or replace the stores w/ fresh powder? or would it just be a loss for the store owner?
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, they can say all they want about that, but when you think about it, it just isn't possible. [;)]

Jon