In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Great trip yesterday, but I'm worried

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
We had a great ride yesterday, and managed to remain a moving target for the rain. We rode a few wet roads where it had rained within the last 15 minutes, and a couple of time we had some mist on the windsheild, but we only hit the rain for about a mile or less just outside of Mineral Wells, and though we got wet, we were dry withing the next 30 minutes.

We did a total of 426 miles, but it wore Sandy out. We leave tomorrow for the Hill Coubtry, and I'm worried about how much riding she will be able to do. I'm thinking about pushing hard to get down there, then once we get in the hotel in Fredricksburg, just doing maybe 150 miles a day from there and returning each night so she can rest. I think she can handle that.

Boy, yesterday was fun! It's been a while since we did a good ride together, and she was all smiles, all the time!

I'm happy when she's happy![;)]

Comments

• A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Don't forget to check your voice and e-mail.[:D][}:)][:D]

Just kidding. Enjoy and ride safe.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A J Christ
    Don't forget to check your voice and e-mail.[:D][}:)][:D]

I will! First thing on Tuesday, 06/02/09![:p]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Danny,......both of you simply enjoy yourselves![;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also since it's starting to get warm, ride more in the AM than the PM. Take a nice lunch break and then head back to the hotel for a shower and some quiet time before dinner. This is what worked with my wife anyway.

Enjoy and post some pics when you get a chance.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Enjoy your ride.Take your time and have fun.I'm hittin' the road at 4am coming back on the 8th or 9th bringing my son back to stay for a while. You and Sandy have a great time!
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1st ride in a while. If so may just take a bit for her to get used to it. last weekend put on the 1st long miles of the year. Felt it the next day. That and the heat.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    Much harder (exhausting) to travel on a bike, then in a car, even in the best of weather.

For me, about 600 miles per day is tops. Any more than that, and it's not fun anymore. [:(]

Agreed. We used to try to stay at around 500, +/- 50 miles. I have another post with the route on it, and it looks like around 330 miles down there, and I can shorten it to around 290 if I need to, depending on how tired she gets.

We usually ride hard until we are out of site on the city, then regular until around 2:00 pm. We then stop and rest for several hours before we get back on the bike and ride until around 7:00 or 7:30 PM.

Lots of pee and walk stops, and we always carry cold water in a cooler in the saddlebags. I don't want to kill her, but I do want to get there then have lots of fun. Can't do that if she get too tired![;)]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I'm glad you two are having fun!
    edited November -1
    Yup.....rest stops are critical. If nothing else, just to get off and walk around some. My knees give me Hell when riding. I'd be better off if I had a cruiser or similar bike. Something that would allow me to stretch my legs forward, with maybe some floorboards.

But....that's just not my style.....not yet anyways. [:X]

My knee was hurting yesterday, but we didn't take many rest stops because we were dodging the rain and kept moving. It hurt until this morning.

On the Goldwing, I have floorboards and highway pegs, so I can move my feet around a lot. She has lots of room and the passanger floorboards, and when I have my feet on the highway pegs, she can shift hers forward to the drivers floorboards, so we do okay as long as we stop every 80 to 120 miles.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    I'm glad you two are having fun!

Thanks Eric. She's really looking forward to it.[;)]
    edited November -1
    When I ride, I NEED to stop at least once every hour, if just for a few minutes. If I don't, my knees just get worse, and my attitude goes south very fast.

In a pinch, I can extend my legs as I ride. Just gotta be sure and keep um off the pavement.

She would rather stop every 50 to 70 miles, or about every hour or so, and I think I'll give in. My goal is to get her there in good enough condition she can enjoy the stay.

I added a map to the route post. It looks like a 5 or 6 stop ride if that's what she wants![;)]

PS, she wants to know what I did with her riding boots. Excuse me? What did I do with them?
    edited November -1
    More frequent stops than less frequent stops, can make a good ride even better. Especially if you're the passenger. They tend to get bored and/or sleepy.

For me, riding is all about pleasure. I don't do it for transportation purposes. And, I'm also a fair weather rider. I can handle the cold, wind, and sun. It's the rain that would make me give up on bikes, if it rained all the time.

You know the old saying. In a car, it's about the destination. On a bike, it's about the journey![^]

I'm old and sick, but I ain't dead yet![:D]
    edited November -1
    30 years ago we rode horses from Stephenville, Texas to Hico, Texas and back on a three day weekend. That would kill us today![:0]