In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

any turnip farmers?????????

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
planted some turnips last year in the backyard just small 4ftx4ft plot to get rid of some seed. I think it was to late in the year as they only got about inch or two tall before winter took over, over the last few weeks though they have come up again in spots maybe a dozen or so overall, now today I noticed they have flowered and are going to seed, is this normal? they are about 6 or 7 inches tall but no bulbs to speak of the roots are just about twice the thickness of the stalk. just seems strange to me, I allways thought stuff went to seed after it had grown to large.

Comments

• discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the one time i tried growing them, they ended up like a ghost pepper, so dang hot and bitter, they was not edible..i also know that i planted too late and my soil at the time was crap
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I planted them mainly for the deer, I put out 3 lbs where I hunt and got home and had a handful left in the bottom of the bag, so I just threw them out in a small tilled up plot. I figured they died out over the winter till these few came up about a month ago.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Back in the late 60's when I lived in NJ. My Pop grew some radishes.
    Them babies were so peppery and hot only my Mom would eat them.She sliced them thin and added them to her salads.
    She also always had a tall glass of water in the fridge with a hand full of scallions/green onions in it.
    She would just add a little salt and munch them scallions like candy...
    Thanks for a great memory hillbillie![:D]
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i fell off a turnip truck once[:0]
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most types of turnips are biennial and need to go thru vernalization to flower. This information came from the book "Seed to Seed" by Susan Ashworth. A good book for survivalists.
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put some in my garden out the back door from the deer blind - er I mean barn - last fall later that I shoul have, the deer didn't eat them over the winter and they came back like weeds. Over a foot tall now and really doing well. Should be good for the deer this winter.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way back in these parts, people would plant a field of turnips, and fence around the field, then put some hogs in. Built in food supply.
    'Cause they liked bacon better than turnip greens.[8D]
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No turnips for me. I ain't eatin' nothing that a hog won't eat.
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back during the late 40's and 50's in Central Virginia my Grandpa use to gather up his turnips just before frost. We would cook the tops like spinach and he would proceed to dig holes in garden about a foot deep with pointed shovel. He lined the hole with thick layer of straw and laid his turnips in the straw and then covered them up with another thick layer of straw.On top of the straw he shoveled the dirt that came out of the hole into a big mound.In the dead of winter he would take a pick and dig a hole at base of mound about as big as his fist.Reached in and clawed thru straw and pulled out as many turnips as needed.When finished he replaced everthing the way it was for next time.We had fresh turnips all winter long. Boy were they tasty.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Occasionally around here they are grown as a "cover crop".......