In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vet bring back SKS

matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
I believe Johnny is Rotten, check out his user name from flea-bay in his description. Daddys sacrifice all but forgotten.[xx(][V][xx(] Makes me want to puke.[xx(][xx(][xx(]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=41816841

Comments

• zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Wow! Good eye![8D]
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fact that the guy has so much documentation tying the gun to his father is the best reason to want to preserve this. The guy is cheating his heirs and decendants out of an important part of their family history.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $905 and "Reserve Not Met".
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I had a bring-back without papers, and it brought $600.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, gives me some idea of what my two may be worth!
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Well, gives me some idea of what my two may be worth!

If you captured them, they are priceless. At least, they would be to me.

I have a handful of guns that were passed down from Dad, two grandfathers, and an uncle. None are particularly valuable, but they will remain with me until it's time to pass them on to my sons.

The first SKS I ever saw was a captured gun, in the late 1970s. At that time, you couldn't get ammo for it, so it was worthless as a shooter. I think the owner sold it for about $200.
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can remember the first SKS I ever saw. I was at the airport in Pittsburg with my dad about 1969 when I saw a GI carrying a duffle bag in one hand and a rifle in the other hand. The rifle was uncased but had some kind of paperwork taped to the stock and packing tape wrapped around the bayonet and muzzle.

I asked the GI, I think he was a Spec4, what kind of rifle it was and he told me it was a Chinese rifle. I rememeber thinking that it looked like one of the rifles used on the movie Planet of Apes. I had been pestering my dad for months to ID the guns used in the Apes movie and didnt realize they were some kind of prop gun.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, it really is collectible. Chinese SKS rifles imported to the US by distributors were ALL manufactured for the civilian market. There can't be more than a couple hundred military Chinese SKS's in the US.

Neal
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:If you captured them, they are priceless.

Not always true.

I can think of two instances that friends of mine gave the stuff away so they wouldn't be reminded of it anymore ... and both had kids. They didn't see it fit enough to remain with them one minute longer.

A plumber - who we didn't know/was just out on a call - gave me a Nazi battle flag from the top of the Augsburg city hall while the battle was still raging on below him. Has capture date on it at the top. I was 12 and showed a great deal of interest in his recollections of Normandy (landing) and he went home and got it for me. I have no idea - other than that -why he gave it to me. I still care for it. I used it as part of a Nazi hand gun presentation photo here once.

Go figure.[8D]
  • Bigtexas3Bigtexas3 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Matwar and all of you others who are concerned about my auction. Just so you know, my father was a twenty year vet whose "sacrifice" ultimately took his life due to agent orange and diabetes from drinking bacteria infested swamp water. I had to raise a family when I was a teenager because that war took him. I am a Texan and a conservative I want him to be remember in other ways. He is gone and I do not want his grandson heir to remember horriffic tales told through a rifle. I remember my fathers sacrifice and all of the other vets. Before you judge me, get your facts straight, I am looking to find this rifle a good home where it will be appreciated and put the proceeds into my son's savings account. I am sure his grandfather would have wanted that.
  • KK Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is one firearm in my whole collection that NO MORTAL could come up with enough scratch to buy from me. The Old MkVI Webley my Grandfather carried in both World Wars!
    SADLY...one of the last pistols I picked up belonged to the SON of a police officer who had passed away.
    His dad carried this Colt Ser 70 for most of his professional career as a cop and when he passed away the son wanted nothing to do with it.
    So much for family pride!
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    I don't apologize, if you don't want to remember Dad that way, then put it on the block, "Buy It Now" for a buck and be done with it!!

Maybe if more grandsons and granddaughters remembered what really happened to their ancestors that fought/bled/and died for the freedoms we have today they would turn out to be better/true Americans.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...It's your biz man, but if your dad felt it was so "horrific", WTH did HE go to the trouble to bring it back?...[?]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bigtexas3
    Matwar and all of you others who are concerned about my auction. Just so you know, my father was a twenty year vet whose "sacrifice" ultimately took his life due to agent orange and diabetes from drinking bacteria infested swamp water. I had to raise a family when I was a teenager because that war took him. I am a Texan and a conservative I want him to be remember in other ways. He is gone and I do not want his grandson heir to remember horriffic tales told through a rifle. I remember my fathers sacrifice and all of the other vets. Before you judge me, get your facts straight, I am looking to find this rifle a good home where it will be appreciated and put the proceeds into my son's savings account. I am sure his grandfather would have wanted that.

If that's true, why don't you sell on Gunbroker rather than on Ebay where this auction and your account will be revoked?
  • One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    Check the location of the auction again. I believe it is on this site.