In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

hand problems

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited March 2005 in General Discussion
Feels like what carpal tunnel is described as except not so much a nerve problem as a vascular one. When I'm using a screw driver or especially playing my 12 string my hands swell and become very painful. When relaxed my hands are a little over 2 inches thick. If I play my guitar for five minutes they about double that and it feels like a charlie horse in my palms that takes ten or fifteen minutes to return to normal.I've asked around a bit and it seems the surgery is for crap. I would really like to know if there is something I can do so that I can still play music.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Sounds llike old age creeping up on you. I get cramps in my hands, bad sometimes if I use them a lot, especially if either hot or cold out. Don't let them do the surgery. Try some of granny's mountain medicine (key ingredient being corn). Improves blood flow and releives pain.[:D][:D][:D]
  • groovinmonkeygroovinmonkey Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some tiger balm, the secret of the orient. You should be able to find it in your local pharmacy. Incredible stuff, expect to pay though.

Monkey fact for the day:
    Man who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger!!
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep warning my 16 year old that will happen ,do you need glasses yet?

Just kidding ,sounds like you need to see a doctor ,my wife was having similar problems ,they said it could be heart or liver problems ,get to a doctor as soon as you can ,sounds like water building up for one reason or another ,you need to find out why

My wife's ankles ,and feet would swell so big my shoes would fit her ,and it only occurred when she was on them for just an hour or two ,her fingers ,and hands would swell up ,and look like sausages ,she wore a size 7 ring ,my size 11 wouldn't go on her fingers ,it was undetermined why ,but the doc give her some water pills ,and two months later it stopped ,but do not take it lightly ,it is a sign that something is wrong

target1_cg4.giftarget1_cg4.giftarget1_cg4.gif
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BDJ-
    I have it to; I have had it for about 8 years now. Find a Doc that can fix it through exercises. It can be reversed or corrected without surgery. It takes time, but it can be done. Mine was at a point where I could not even pick up a cup of coffee without pain. My thumb on my right and left hand just did not work. But now it's better without surgery.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    219529.jpg

There, feel better now?

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
    Twentynine_Palms.gif
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure she could reduce swelling but I don't think that is the kind he is talking about.[:D][:D]

2-barrel
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by will270win
    219529.jpg

There, feel better now?

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
    Twentynine_Palms.gif

Ummm. Nice rack?
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    thanks Will, I do feel better

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had tendonitis problems that produce similar symptoms.

Try the following:

Wear carpal tunnel style wrist splints at night when you sleep. I'm talking about wrist braces you can get at the drug store for about $20 per hand. They velcro on and have a stiff aluminum bar prevents you from bending your wrists while you sleep. Most CTS/Tendonitis people unkowingly curl their wrists downwards very tightly at night, cutting off circulation and aggravating the problem. (The strained tendons try to tighten up when you sleep.) The braces prevent that and were a big help for me.

I was told to do the above, put on an ibuprofin regumin for a few weeks to fight iflammation, and told to be careful not to exercise the tendons whenever possible. Strongly warned against trying to toughen up with exercises as that just makes things worse.

After following the above advice, the pain went away and the swelling went down.

Also, deep tissue massage therapy helps me get through bad spells when they flare up. I'm not talking about a pleasurable relaxation massage from someone like in beantown's picture[:D], but rather a skilled professional who knows how to drill into the key spots often inflicting pain while they do it, but making you better when they are done.

Good luck!

http://LestDarknessFall.blogspot.com
    http://LestDarknessFall.com
  • PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the carpal tunnel surgery done on both hands about 5 years ago.It helped but i waited to long to have it done "almost 15 years" and now i have some nerve damage and dont have half the strenght in my hands as i did.

Ohio
    Constitution,Artical 1,Section 4

mn_triumph-stipple-LG.gif
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:im sorry but what 1911a1 said happened to his wife sounded hilarious

That's real nice ,imagine you skin being stretched like a balloon right before it pops ,I left out the part of the excruciating pain she was in at the time ,and she is not that old ,you will get there soon enough

target1_cg4.giftarget1_cg4.giftarget1_cg4.gif
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are serious about fixing the problem, you should take a look at taking lessons with teachers who specialize in physical therapy.
    I have always understood that you should NEVER be in pain, or cause yourself injury when playing an instrument. If playing is causing the problem, than you are doing something wrong.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    When I just played music for a living I never had any problems. When I became responsible for a family and started wrenching for a living things were cool for about ten years.

• BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    BDJ - My wife is a sign language interpreter and works in the disabilities support services for the local college - she is giving a presentation on these types of problems at her next yearly conference. Recomendations:
    1. stop what is agrivating the tendonitis for a few weeks - give yourself a chance to heal - the braces at night are good
    2. warm up your hands with excersizes before playing and also with heat - after playing use ice/cold packs and an anti-inflamitory (ibuprofen) for the swelling...
    3. see your health care proffesional - she advocates acupuncture and some other alternative healthcare methods i.e. chiropractic/message therapy
    4. surgery is the last resort as it is not often lasting if you are still doing the activities... If you still play you can only do it in short periods with good breaks inbetween....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)