In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Local gunshop robbed

paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
edited February 2005 in General Discussion
$100,000 in firearms stolen from store
Westfield, Pa., chief says up to 200 handguns, rifles taken by 'professionals.'
By GEORGE OSGOOD
Star-Gazette Wellsboro Bureau
gosgood@stargazette.com
WESTFIELD -- Bold thieves pried open the front door of the Northern Tier's biggest shooting sports store early Sunday and left with firearms worth at least $100,000.

GEORGE OSGOOD/Star-Gazette
State Trooper Robert Brown, right, dusts the front door of Ackley & Son Sporting Goods for fingerprints Sunday as Westfield Patrol Officer Dale Niles looks on.
Thieves used some kind of pry bar to break through a thick deadbolt lock at Ackley & Son Sporting Goods and stole between 100 and 200 handguns, plus civilian versions of the AK-47 and M-16 military-style assault weapons. The civilian version of the M-16 is known as the AR-15.

Westfield borough police aided by a state trooper from Troop F's Forensic Services Unit continued to investigate the burglary and theft Sunday night at the state Route 49 store.

Westfield Police Chief Ron Adams said he believes the crime occurred between 2 a.m. Sunday, when he finished his shift, and sunrise.

"These were professionals," he said. "They knew exactly what they were doing. They clearly targeted handguns and assault rifles.

"They had been here in this building before," Adams said. "They had the place well-cased. They could be from anywhere. But I'm guessing they're from the city -- Rochester, Buffalo, Philly or New York City."

The thieves climbed a utility pole to cut a phone line tied to the store's burglar alarm system, rendering it useless. They destroyed two keypads in the store used to activate and deactivate the burglar alarm, Adams said.

The thieves looted five cash registers, and overturned but could not break into the business' safe, he said.

"This was my biggest nightmare," Adams said. "But I didn't dwell on it because the store had that alarm system."

The thieves smashed display cases containing the handguns and scooped them up. They may also have stolen some ammunition, police said. The handguns run the gamut from .17-caliber to .44- and .45-caliber, Adams said.

A neighbor checking on the business discovered the break-in long after the thieves had left. Business co-owner Jeff Treadwell of Painted Post, who owns Ackley's with family members, operating under the name Crimson Sports Inc., spent most of Sunday at the store working with police.

The firearms were insured, Adams said.

The thieves left hundreds of hunting and target rifles behind, concentrating on handguns -- more easily concealed, transported and fenced.

"They had to be in there for quite a while," Adams said. "I'm thinking there were probably five of them -- four who went inside and one who stayed in a getaway vehicle."

The front door of the business is only a few feet from Route 49, the primary east-west road through the region.

In addition to firearms and shooting sports products, the "trading post" deals in hardware, archery and fishing gear, outdoor clothing, tools, gasoline and more.

The crime is by far the largest single burglary in memory in Tioga County.

To contact police
Westfield Police Chief Ron Adams asks that anyone who passed Ackley & Son early Sunday morning and saw a vehicle parked there "or anything out of the ordinary," Adams said, to call police.
- Westfield police: 814/367-2769.

- State police at Mansfield: 570/662-2151.

pa1.gif

Life is a journey fear no one, Respect Everyone

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,036 ******
    edited November -1
    The alarm should have reported "TROUBLE," when the phone line was cut. The alarm company should have sent the police. This was either incompetence or a very primitive system.

I don't hang out in gun shops much, but the ones I know about keep their handguns, which are easily moved, in a very large and heavy vault when the store is closed. Long guns can be cable locked together. Doesn't guarantee anything, but it will slow them down.

A popular method a few years ago, that was used even on shops with good alarms, was to BACK a stolen truck or van through the front door of the shop. Then, jump out, throw as many pieces in the back as you can in about a minute, and take off. This "smash & grab" technique, done correctly, ensured that the bad guys would be long gone before the alarm reported.

That is one reason the shops started putting the smaller items in vaults. It is also why you see concrete-filled steel pipes studding the area in front of the stores. They aren't for decoration.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Totally professional job...

I was entering a large gunstore many many years ago. Trunk lid was up with a car right out front. I walked by and observed lots of guns in the trunk. They were piled on top of one another. One of the guys told the other one they were going to rob the place.. I overheard this and went straight by the two and entered the store. I went to the owner behind the counter and told him. He about turned another pale of white. They two entered and came to the counter. I was standing down the counter. The owner drew his .45 Colt and put it against the ones chest. I drew my HK P7 and pointed it to the other. WE made them lay down on the floor. Neither drew their weapons... I held both at gunpoint while the owner made the other dozen customers leave the store. He called the law.. and they were there in minutes.... I had my gun drawn when they entered and told them both were on the floor face down. 4 more Officers entered the store and when it was over both guys had .45 automatics and the one had a sawed off double barrel shotgun. I gave a statement and left in about 30 mins. All the guns in the car were stolen...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nunn they dont make a safe big enough to hold all the handguns this place has!!! Or Had!!![:D]
    It would take them hours to put them away!
    This place in out in the most remote part of western, Pa. it services a large rural area!

pa1.gif

• Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    uh oh! Deadly assault weapons are now "on the streets"!! We need to get these children killing machines "off the streets".

sucks about the robbery.. [V] hope they had good insurance

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • Options
    BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where is Westfield, PA?

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Classic and I will be on the lookout for some good deals..
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    nunn...

I agree with you on the alarm system....The one I had in my house would ring thru to the alarm company IF the lines were ever cut...Even if the power was off, it was reported....That system "jumped" the phone line when there was trouble...I dont understand why it didnt signal the company when the lines were cut...

And yes, why leave guns in a display case?....At least lock the handguns in the safe at night...

Somethings smells here, and I am not talking about the "air"...

cute_skunk.gif

Hudson.gif
    Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Yeah, anybody nowsdays that has numerous items of great value or interest to burglars had better put in a decent burglar alarm. This store needed one that reported the breakin over a cell or wireless phone. Then there would be no phone lines to cut.

We had a gunstore holdup here in the KC area a week or so ago. 2 young men and 2 juvenials came into the gun store wherre there was only one clerk on duty. Robbers attacked the clerk with iron bars and robbed the store of over 30 guns. Police caught them a few days later and recovered most of the guns.

Up until that robbery I had always used part of my anti/pro-gun argument that crooks never rob gun stores because the store owner/clerks all have guns.

Guess I can't use that point of logic anymore.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Guess it is that time of year.

Published on January 11, 2005 by Merced Sun-Star, The (CA)

Robber gets away with weapons cache
    Someone broke into a West Main Street gun store early Monday and stole at least 20 weapons valued at $10,000, the Merced Police Department said. Roy Stone, owner of Stone's Gun Shop, said the burglar had to break down a steel door in the back of the store to gain entry. From there, the burglar had to kick in another door before entering the main room, where he allegedly smashed showcases and swiped the weapons, Stone said. The Police Department responded to the store when alarms sounded

Used to be a local shop for me. He has a nice selection, but sells at list price.
    Buddy told me they only got small caliber handguns.
    I wonder why they were not in the safe. [?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:I agree with you

Thats a big suprise!!! Beth your such a suckup!!!

Blackie: Westfield is beyond Uylessys!!!

pa1.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe the owner was cutting corners and trying to save money. He might have had the fake camera's like our Walmart had in their store...
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Just cant leave it alone can you Tim????? always digging..
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    If I had a display case, I'd have the glass replaced with potasium(SP?) based glass. It's almost impossible to break that glass. If it was put in a soild frame with good soild doors and locks, that case wouldn't be opened anytime soon. I have a friend that had a table made out of glass like it and he used to hand people a hammer; then offer them $500 bucks if anyone could break the glass. No one ever got the money. [;)]
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    i would have to agree with pa on this one: not really a reasoble idea to put all the handguns in the safe every night, and trot them out every day. if this place had 200+ handguns, how many safe would that require? and where would you put them. i would have instead put the money into perimeter security."Thieves used some kind of pry bar to break through a thick deadbolt lock" if all it took to get in was a prybar, musnt have been the best of all locks.

i also second(or third, fourth...i lost count) the defective security system. should have been programmed to alert if the lines were cut, or wireless.

MAEMTPATCH.jpgFord_E350_ambulance1.jpgemt2.jpg

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on this is a bad thing.
    Turret mounted machine guns usually work better than lights and sirens
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for the alarm to have sent a trouble signal whr the phone line was cut you would have to have a bcakup sys ( radio 2nd line etc ) and thats usually not part of a general sys ( used to work for adt ) anyone want some ademco master codes?...jk

imay not know it all.....but at least I know that!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,036 ******
    edited November -1
    The two shops to which I referred have WALK-IN vaults. Like a bank vault. Steel reinforced concrete walls, floor and ceiling, and a steel vault door.

Heck, a good friend of mine has one in his house. It's a gun room that doubles as a safe room in case a tornado comes around.

If you are going to spend, say $250G for a new home, a reinforced concrete safe room is a very small part of the bottom line.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya funny enough most of the basic proffesional security systems don't work if the power goes out or if the phone line is cut you have to pay big bucks for the sytems that do work in these cases. And alot of times the companies that carry those systems don't cover your area.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    For an alarm to report "trouble" the system has to be equipped with a line monitor. This maintains a periodic signal over the phone line and causes an alert if it's interrupted. The problem is this requires a dedicated phone line and different equipment at the monitoring site. This means that most aren't set up this way due to the higher monthly cost.

Preventing burglary loss is a matter of good physical security combined with a good alarm system. No place can be made burglar-proof. You can only deter and/or slow down the thief enough so that either the place down the road looks like an easier target or if they go for you it'll take them so long that they get caught in the act.

An alarm system needs to be set up so it can't be easily disabled, meaning you MUST have either a line monitor or have it report via a wireless system. You also need to calculate the time it will take from when the bad guys trip the first sensor, then defeat the remainder of your physical security. This time needs to be significantly greater than the time it takes for the alarm company to notify LE and for them to arrive. Sounds like this shop failed on both counts.

With such poor physical security, even if the alarm hadn't been disabled these folks could have made off with a substantial amount of property. The first sensor they would have tripped was after they got the front door open. Beyond that it was a straight smash and grab, with them driving away within 3 minutes or so. How long do you think it would have taken for the alarm monitor to figure out the correct location, obtain the contact info and make his call? Then how long for the Chief to get out of bed, put his pants on and drive over there? They might as well have stacked the guns by the door to save repairing their display cases.
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    It ain't All bad news.Maybe some of the "homeys"that end up with those guns will eliminate each other.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Guys, If you have time go to a MAP program and type in Westfield, Mansfield and Denton Hill, all in PA Of course you know the shop was in westfield. The nearest full time PD may or may not be Mansfield and/or Denton Hill , both State Police. Westfield has a PT dept. Galeton PT though I believe Wellsboro has a FT PD. Your looking at arrival times of 30-40 minutes or longer depending on the location of the one or two roving patrols. The system should have been upgraded but don't think about wireless. there is no wireless service along 6 until you get to the erie area or closer to the poconos.