In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Security cameras

neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
Anyone know how to set them up and the best ones out there.
MIL would like 4 of them installed. She does not want some security
company coming in though to do it. I know you can get the cameras at Wally World and Home Depot.
You need a computer set up for them also.
What else?

Comments

• neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We just made a substantial addition to our house and I included a gunroom where I will be moving the safes and etc. Left an area in top of furnace closet where I can install a video camera to film activity in the room if needed. I would like to put some type of motion-activated camera there. I will run a wire to a common light switch in an adjoining closet where I can turn the power off before I went into the room so it would not activate when only I am in the room. I'm sure some of you have done this, so I am asking for tips and/or hints on what camera setup to buy. Are there package units that have a motion-sensor built in? What would one expect the cost to be for a setup? Thanks.

Hunt with your son today instead of hunting for him tomorrow.
  • redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont know about cameras but I think you forgot the most important thing; LASER BEAMS. [:D]

dsarms_e0.gif

It is better to be prepared, than to be suprised.

I'm pro choice: I choose to hunt, trap, eat meat, and wear fur.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Claymore & tripwire is my preferred security assist method!
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We use these camera's in museums and areas that store high dollar stuff , do a search on ebay and you should beable to save a few dollars on them.Wiring can be a bit tricky , if know anyone in your area that does alarm systems then it should be a piece of cake. The camera will wire back to an input on a time lapse vcr , pretty basic. I 'll see if I have a manual for one , e-mail me and I'll give you some links and info you can look at.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont screw around with a VCR, or even a time lapse vcr.. the heads wear out from the constant pausing/recording..

get yourself a good DVR with a nice big hard drive, and you can also get remote monitoring hooked up pretty easily too, especially if you have broadband.

check out www.supercircuits.com .. can't beat the selection and the knowledge.
  • silver6silver6 Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Am familiar with security cameras. Soo much to consider. I wouldnt go for a camera that was motion activated cause too much to go wrong there and you might not get the shot. Also I would go with a stationary camera and not something like an autodome for reasons you know always where the stationary cameras are going to be and wont miss the shot cause its lookin the other way. And ruger and dennis are right go dvr I would also recommend you use the dvr and back it up with a hard drive for a few days at least so you can have evidence in case and if you must use a seperate motion detector to alert you of those who arent supposed to be there not on the camera you want it to see all.......always.

If god meant for us to talk more than we listened he'd have given us one ear and two mouths- Vince Lombardi
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    for a decent remote-monitor capable dvr with a 200 gig hard drive, and a decent stationary camera, can all be easily had for less than $500..
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I hacked a TiVo 160gb so that it records the digital images from the 4-camera setup I built. It's pretty easy even with just a video capture card and an old P3.
    My first system was a Burle VCR and a multiplexer for the cameras, then switched to a passive IR sensor for the 2 most important cameras, then got serious and installed a graphics generator for the time/date bug.
    The system I have now was all of $290, and it will hold 1920 hours of real-time video. It also will auto-dial selected phone numbers when the IR sensor indicates warmth AND movement in the guarded areas.
    I got the cameras from Harbor Freight ($29ea.), switched the lenses for real ones ($12 ea.), bought a TiVo from Computergeeks.com ($56 incl. shipping), installed a 4-input video capture card from computergeeks.com ($39), and the PIR sensor was from Lowes ($30).
    I already had the graphics generator and a bunch of wiring, so that didn't get added in.
    I've had this current system for just over a year, and I might upgrade the cameras for some used Professional jobbies from a friend that runs a security firm (He's the one that does all the local banks, gas stations, etc., so he's got a coupla used ones with good lenses).
    A single camera setup is nice, but what do you see when the "bad guy" turns around?
    Also, do not place a camera on top of your furnace.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    You'd be much better off with a digital system that records to directly to a computer hard-drive. VCR heads wear, image quality and enhancement capabilities sucks, it's possible to forget to put in a fresh tape and each time you record/erase a tape the worse the image quality gets. Digital cams are also cheaper and smaller, meaning concealble, than standard cams.

There are several very cool software programs out there these days that can do this, plus they would fit your motion detection criteria without the falsing problems of microwave or sonic sensors. The cameras remain active all the time but constantly record over the same area of your hard drive. They only save images/audio to the drive when a specified number of pixels in the camera's view change. Due to the cams always being active this type system can be set to save data for a specified period of time prior to motion actually being detected. In other words you get to see and hear what led up to the activation.

This software also allows you to designate areas of the camera's view to disregard any movement. This allows you to have cameras watching a large area but only record when movement occurs within certain zones.

An added feature to all this is that these can be set up to alert you via cellular of any movement and real time images can be viewed either from a remote net-connected computer or even a video capable phone.

Besides the expanded capabilites of this type system, they are actually less expensive to operate.

I don't have any of the software brand names on hand at the moment, but an online search should turn up some for you.
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    currently up-gradeing a system at work, found mini color/sound cameras about 2-3" high and maybe 1 1/2" wide/deep for $40 each at sams as well a a digital 4 input recorder (uses a cd instead of tape for better image quality) for (i think) $289
    pinhole cameras 1.5"x1.5" from grainger.com $88 grainger also has bulet cams, 1.25" dia. x 2" in b/w, color and one with a wide angle lens. but think you could do better checking the brands and check if they sell direct on-line
    i.r. unit will require a relay-timer to stay running for a set time after activation or a mini chip to tell it to record till it is broken a second time. motion/heat sensor will record as long as motion/heat is detected and a set interval after. use at least 2-4 cameras for full coverage of ALL activity in the room and a splitter (4 cam images on screen at once) is preferable to a sequencer (switches from one cam to the next at set intervals)
    hope any of this helps
  • neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for info. I need to do quite a bit of research and see if this is something I think I could do myself or get someone else to install for me. Sounds interesting to learn how to do it myself though. Again, Thanks!!

Hunt with your son today instead of hunting for him tomorrow.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    One more suggestion. Power the camera system, all of it with a small UPS system that will keep it powered in case of a power outage. Intentional or accidental. Disable the alarm so it won't broadcasting the fact that it is running on battery power.
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one suggestion i might add is make it a common household product in the room and put the camra in it so that way they don't destroy your house looking for a cumputer or vcr. it hides well and they send signal to a computer or other device depending on the money, so no wires let alone it activates on motion. Alot of convience stores, banks, and alot other places are doing this to help protect there busnesses but it will work for the home to

take away my guns, use knife, take away my knifes, i starve, sorry for u BRITS out there
  • PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like this product..The burgler bomb.It releases a irritating gas when triggered[}:)]

mortystv.com

Ohio
    Constitution,Artical 1,Section 4

mn_triumph-stipple-LG.gif
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger270man
    dont screw around with a VCR, or even a time lapse vcr.. the heads wear out from the constant pausing/recording..

get yourself a good DVR with a nice big hard drive, and you can also get remote monitoring hooked up pretty easily too, especially if you have broadband.

check out www.supercircuits.com .. can't beat the selection and the knowledge.

Yes get the DVR. I have them in all of my businesses and they are inexpensive and they only record on to the hardrive when their is motion. In a house it would only overwrite itself every month or so depending upon your activity and hard drive size...Its the only way to go, ask London! Plus you can always add cameras to protect other areas of your property.
  • sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Local Credit Union has a system, with recorders, and it makes some nice images. However the recorder is stored on a shelf in the loan offices/branch managers office. Anyone wanting to rob the place just needs to pick up the recorder (in plain sight) on his way out.
    David from jax

Have Gun, will travel<br>