In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bear hunting in adirondacks?

andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
i would like to do some bear hunting this year in the adirondacks and was wonderign hat methods to use. thanks

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. - Don Corleone

Comments

• Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I know ya cant bait them. I believe ya just sit in a tree untill one wanders by

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There seems to be a concensus on this forum that no gun is powerful enough for bear. .458 magnum just pisses 'em off.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    First,a fact or two...

I was raised on the southern edge of the Adirondack Park. At the time we had a pretty fair population of bear and a good number of dumps. Bear watching was fine sport in the evenings.

My folks ran a meat processing plant in Poland, NY at the time and we were usually inundated with deer during the late fall. Once in a while a bear came our way. The best was disgusting and the worst was the last we ever accepted.

Why anyone would hunt a bear is beyond my understanding. They're greasy, stringy, and the best don't smell very good. The worst... You almost can't imagine.

So you still want to hunt... Ask the locals. Bearpath Inn in Noblesboro doesn't get it's name for nothing. Haskell's Inn in the Town of Ohio may offer direction. It's been awhile, so I don't really know names anymore.

Southern Tier of NY and the Catskills probably have more bear per square mile than the cold white north. Oneonta to Delhi and points east are great country for Mr. Bruin.

Advice... Always hunt up the mountain from your vehicle. Always hunt open areas to reduce the chance of actually seeing a bear. Shoot high, shoot low, shoot in front or in back (if you really do see one) as missing greatly reduces the chances you'll have to deal with a carcass. If you get unlucky, at least the drag won't be all that hard.

As much as I'd like to wish you good luck, I can't. One hint though... Study the mast for an abundance of nuts and edibles. Mr. Bruin will be trying to pile on pounds about then.

Nord