In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any old Sci Fi fans here

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I just bought a bunch of old Pulp magazines from the 40-60s Mostly Astounding and the like with a couple of Shadows and Doc Savages as well. I was looking through the tables of content and saw some old favorite names. Heinlein, Piper , Hubbard, Pohl, Pournelle. I'm thinking about putting some up for auction on GB (I DON'T DO EBAY) and wondered if there would be any interest

btt

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wipala
    I just bought a bunch of old Pulp magazines from the 40-60s Mostly Astounding and the like with a couple of Shadows and Doc Savages as well. I was looking through the tables of content and saw some old favorite names. Heinlein, Piper , Hubbard, Pohl, Pournelle. I'm thinking about putting some up for auction on GB (I DON'T DO EBAY) and wondered if there would be any interest

I tried doing some non-firearms stuff here, but did not do too well. If the folks here were smart, they would set up a seperate auction site and give Fleabay a run for their money.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I'm a Science Fiction fan, and I'm old, so I guess I'd qualify.

I'd look at the auction(s), but $ would be a strong limiting factor, since I'm not a collector of them.

You might consider a pass-along giveaway for some, and judge the result.

Doug
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I've loved science fiction for a long time; bought my first book (which I still have), an anthology called Great Science Fiction Adventures, at the age of twelve. I have the complete 181-volume set of the Doc Savage stories written by Kenneth Robeson (Lester Dent), including the story by Philip Jose Farmer (another favorite author), Escape From Loki, that explains how Doc met his five sidekicks.

I also have complete collections of stories by Jules Verne, H G Wells, Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Robert A Heinlein, A E Van Vogt, and Philip K Dick, as well as several anthologies edited by Harlan Ellison, amongst several hundred other books by various authors. I've really enjoyed the Riverworld series by Farmer. Even though L Ron Hubbard is somewhat of a nut, several of his science fiction stories are also entertaining. Battlefield Earth is not bad.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    I love Heinlein, Doc Savage and L. Ron, but I probably wouldn't buy any at an auction. I'd would swallow my pride and go ebay though!
  • burn1bobburn1bob Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    howdy wipala,

i'd be interested in the Doc Savage's if you want to sell them. send me an email if you do. thanks.> bob
  • SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not science fiction but you mentioning Doc Savage reminded me of the pile of Mack Bolan and Destroyer paperbacks I have, also Able Team and Phoenix Force books as well. I also have the movie "Jake Speed" on VHS in its original jacket. Thanks for the jump start to the brain, I'll have to dig this stuff out.
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SwanKong
    Not science fiction but you mentioning Doc Savage reminded me of the pile of Mack Bolan and Destroyer paperbacks I have, also Able Team and Phoenix Force books as well. I also have the movie "Jake Speed" on VHS in its original jacket. Thanks for the jump start to the brain, I'll have to dig this stuff out.
    I forgot all about Jake Speed. What a hoot that movie was. Who was the female lead in that one she was a hottie I'll have to look it up
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    I've loved science fiction for a long time; bought my first book (which I still have), an anthology called Great Science Fiction Adventures, at the age of twelve. I have the complete 181-volume set of the Doc Savage stories written by Kenneth Robeson (Lester Dent), including the story by Philip Jose Farmer (another favorite author), Escape From Loki, that explains how Doc met his five sidekicks.

I also have complete collections of stories by Jules Verne, H G Wells, Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Robert A Heinlein, A E Van Vogt, and Philip K Dick, as well as several anthologies edited by Harlan Ellison, amongst several hundred other books by various authors. I've really enjoyed the Riverworld series by Farmer. Even though L Ron Hubbard is somewhat of a nut, several of his science fiction stories are also entertaining. Battlefield Earth is not bad.
    These are pretty much collectors stuff. I have found they contain the serielised appearance of Citizen of the Galaxy by Heinlein and Space Viking by Piper and also Hubbards first Dianetics stuff (back when he was a Sci Fi writer not a religious figure)