In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Please say hello to a New Member!!!

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
I have the honor to introduce to you Pauline Muerrle, author of the book " The way it really Was". Pauline Worked in the custom shop at Winchester as an engraver of some of the finest guns ever produced. I hope I have convinced her to come in and say hello to you knuckle heads.[:D]

I hope that from time to time you will stop by and say hello to some fine folks here. Pauline is truly a great artist with a chisel in her hand, and maybe if we are lucky she will from time to time share a story of what it was like to work as Winchesters only female engraver. I want to be the first to say WELCOME ABOARD Pauline!

here are a couple samples of her book that some of you read
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=385427
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=385219

This is an example of some of her work while at the factory.

IMG_4148.jpg

IMG_4151.jpg

Here is the book: http://www.winchestercollector.org/store/st-book-20.shtml

Comments

• Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Well, it is pleasure to have you here.[:)]
  • Options
    p.muerrlep.muerrle Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a quick note to say "hi" to everyone. I am new to this site. As a matter of fact it is the only site I have registered on. I've seen alot of great info on here for collectors and Winchester fans. I've also seen misinformation. Hopefully I can help clear some of it up for you if it falls in my area of expertise. I don't profess to know everything Winchester but what I do know are the facts, either first hand or through ex employees.
  • Options
    ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy ma'am, and welcome from Texas.

AT
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Hello and welcome! I'm sure we'll ALL be looking forward to getting to know you and waiting for you to weigh-in on things from time to time[:)]
  • Options
    D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Too cool. Welcome aboard.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Welcome ma'am. I have always been amazed at anyone's ability to do nice engraving, seems like a very unforgiving media, I admire your ability! Welcome again...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    VirgilCaineVirgilCaine Member Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p.muerrle
    Just a quick note to say "hi" to everyone. I am new to this site. As a matter of fact it is the only site I have registered on. I've seen alot of great info on here for collectors and Winchester fans. I've also seen misinformation. Hopefully I can help clear some of it up for you if it falls in my area of expertise. I don't profess to know everything Winchester but what I do know are the facts, either first hand or through ex employees.

Thats some fine work you do. Welcome.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum Pauline.
    Beautiful work. [:D]

Thanks cartod for bringing her on board.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    It is indeed a pleasure to have you with us. I know your knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for joining us, look in on ASK the experts..i bet someone is asking about engraving right now..[;)]
  • Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Welcome aboard[:D] From here in Idaho, I think you'll like it here always plenty of entertainment[8D]
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    Hello and welcome Pauline Muerrle . I hope to have many conversation with you in the future. You have a skill that I would love to have and would enjoy doing.

I hope one day you open a school for people like me and others.

I would be your first student.

Please always speak up and enjoy the good people of this forum. There all good people.

And thank you for the years of enjoyment of looking at your skill and craft that few have today.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Here is a pre 64 model 12 trap she did for me 10 years ago. It was new and unfired when she did it. I can't bring myself to shoot it.

IMG_4155.jpg
    IMG_4158.jpg
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome Pauline, but please be prepared to be sucked into a world like you have never seen before, where all reason escapes into the ethereal mists of time and blithering idots run rampant.....[:o)][;)]

I don't know about the rest of the folks on here though, they seem to be swell bunch to hang out with.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...Welcome to the madhouse, Pauline. If you and BertH share your
    knowledge with us, 1+1 might equal 5 ! Look over on the experts
    forum and meet Bert....really!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I'm still engraving full time. I only work on Winchesters. As far as influences I had for engraving styles I didn't have much of a choice. I was trained by factory engravers to do the Winchester style. I surely appreciate some of the different styles out there but never really had the opportunity to try them. I will say I am partial to the Germanic style which is essentially what was used on Winchesters anyway.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome aboard
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Another engraving question for you Pauline (right after I say Welcome to the Craziest Place on Earth.)

I know that you only work on Winchesters but I am sure that you are familiar with other guns. I bought my wife a Ruger Bearcat and put ivory grips on it with some scrimshaw work. The gun has "factory engraving" on it already. It is mostly like just laser engraving or something similar as it is very light.

Can a talented engraver use this as a base? For example, polish the gun until the factory engraving no longer shows and then do custom engraving?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If the engraving is very light it can be polished off to give an engraver a clean slate to work with but, remember if the engraving is near bbl. or other inscriptions or proof marks polishing will also lighten these. It is a choice only you can make.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome from Winchester CT.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm very honored to have you here. It's like I know someone famous.
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    I am sure I am reaching out here in this question and request but could you one day post a picture of your hand tools ?

Could give me ideas to make and try harder to do my own work !
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    welcome aboard [:D]
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome , hope you have fun
  • Options
    owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Wow, I will be looking forward to following any thread you write or answer. Thanks so much for joining this forum. Please do not let any of the trolls and misfits run you off! You made my day!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Being a woman in the gun business { mostly man's territory} for many years I don't scare easy, but thanks for your concern! Any women collectors out there can relate to this.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome Pauline! Nice work!
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Welcome Pauline, let me be the first to enter your giveaway, of a Win. Mod. 42, .410. Glad to have ya.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, and welcome!
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome and glad you joined here. Beware though, some of these guys are down right mean to new people. Don
  • Options
    Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Here is a pre 64 model 12 trap she did for me 10 years ago. It was new and unfired when she did it. I can't bring myself to shoot it.

IMG_4155.jpg
    IMG_4158.jpg

That is beautiful work. Do you do Glocks?[:)]
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    welcome Pauline, nice work[;)]
  • Options
    gatorhidegatorhide Member Posts: 562 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...Hi Pauline, [:)][:X][:X],......[:0]!!
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Greetings, dear Lady! Your profile indicates you are still engraving. May I ask for whom? Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome Pauline,
    Your work says VOLUMES about you as an individual.
    This forum cannot help but benefit from your presence.
    Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the mayhem!
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    WOW! Thirty years as an engraver, that speaks volumes for your love of your craft. Glad to have you aboard.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW Way Cool!
    A genuine Winchester Artiste!

Welcome Aboard Pauline!

I'm gonna step out on a limb and say that just about anything you've got to say will be absorbed like a sponge around these guys!

This is a great on-line community and very educational to say the least. Your presence will only enhance that information level to a greater level!

Oh..., and great work as well!
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome Pauline! Have seen some of your work- can only say "I'm not worthy..." [:p]