In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mechanics Rant

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
Why do garages torque down lug nuts to like 1000 lbs of torque. Wife had a flat tire the other day. Loaded up the Exploder with what I thought of all, that I'd need to change a freaken flat tire. Made five trips back to the house for stuff I didn't have. It took a 6 ft. steel antenna mast on a 3 foot Snap-On breaker bar to get the damm lug nuts off. Broke 2, 7/8 deep sockets in half. Luckily I found a 7/8 impact socket. Then took about 6 whacks with a 12 lb. sledge to get the tire & wheel off. Sure glad she was only 6 blocks from the house and not 20 miles away on the freeway. Freaken tire goons.

Comments

• Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    I had the same happen to me ,except I had the flat in my driveway .
    I took 2 broken lug wrenches and a bent cheater bar to the tire shop and made them pay me for them .
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has to be a tire ape game. [V] [:(] [:(!]
  • Options
    coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    I just use a MAC electric rechargeable impact. Seems to torque them down to about 90-120 ft. lbs.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will do it only if you let them get by with it. Here they are afraid that if a wheel came off on someone that it would come back on them. And with 90% of newer cars having aluminum rims the lug nuts should be checked often which most people don't ever bother doing. So they torque them down as tight as possible.

A little never seize helps a lot to keep them from seizing to the studs. I never torque lug nuts on nothing of mine so tight that I cant get them off with a 24" 3/8 breaker bar.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Hope it wasn't a front tire on disk brakes. Probably warped the rotor. I watch to see if they use a torque wrench.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite1015
    Why do garages torque down lug nuts to like 1000 lbs of torque. Wife had a flat tire the other day. Loaded up the Exploder with what I thought of all, that I'd need to change a freaken flat tire. Made five trips back to the house for stuff I didn't have. It took a 6 ft. steel antenna mast on a 3 foot Snap-On breaker bar to get the damm lug nuts off. Broke 2, 7/8 deep sockets in half. Luckily I found a 7/8 impact socket. Then took about 6 whacks with a 12 lb. sledge to get the tire & wheel off. Sure glad she was only 6 blocks from the house and not 20 miles away on the freeway. Freaken tire goons.

See my comments on over torque-
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=515785
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Never trust a tire shop that tightens the lugs with an impact wrench. The clueless operators just dial the torque up to max. A proper tire shop will remove the nuts with an impact, but will replace them and torque them with a torque wrench. If they don't, they are usually just hacks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    Never trust a tire shop that tightens the lugs with an impact wrench. The clueless operators just dial the torque up to max. A proper tire shop will remove the nuts with an impact, but will replace them and torque them with a torque wrench. If they don't, they are usually just hacks.

Don't forget torque sticks. If using just a torque wrench, or breaker bar and finish with a torque wrench, there's a chance that the lug nuts won't seat properly. The "proper" way is to use the correct torque stick, then check it with a torque wrench. Problem comes with aftermarket lug nuts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:grumpygy
    Advanced Member

USA
    14361 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 7:29:51 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    Hope it wasn't a front tire on disk brakes. Probably warped the rotor. I watch to see if they use a torque wrench.

And yes it was the right front tire.

I bought a Snap-On breaker bar over 30 years ago for just this application lug nuts only. I've never had to add any leverage to get a lug nut off of any car with that wrench until now. Its pretty sad when you have to add a 6 foot piece of steel pipe to that to get them off, and shear off two more sockets on top of that.

Coltpax your electric impact wrench would have had no effect on getting those lugs off.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have a set of Torque Sticks make the shop use to install any wheels . They pull wheels during State mandated inspection . If the shop does not agree to use these toque stick I take my business somewhere else. When I pull out the box and explain how they work . "YOU CAN STILL USE AIR IMPACT " it just flexes the stick but does not over tighten nut on the stud. The shop then knows I am also watching all phases of their work.I get great service. No you need wiper blades ,front end alignment ETC.[^][:)]
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I have a set of Torque Sticks make the shop use to install any wheels . They pull wheels during State mandated inspection . If the shop does not agree to use these toque stick I take my business somewhere else. When I pull out the box and explain how they work . "YOU CAN STILL USE AIR IMPACT " it just flexes the stick but does not over tighten nut on the stud. The shop then knows I am also watching all phases of their work.I get great service. No you need wiper blades ,front end alignment ETC.[^][:)]
    I do the same thing
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    sp you bring it back to them... or burn down their house... always a good threat
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Armilite, i use it to put them on. That thing really has no balls as far as impacts go. I've had them come in and me (235lbs) and my uncle (~250) had to stand on a 8ft piece of pipe off a breaker bar and jump up and down. Dangerous, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Perry Shooter, them torque sticks are awesome but I have seen one shatter. Not a good sight, luckily the guy wasn't holding the shaft with his hand, so nobody got hurt. He did leave to change his britches though.[:D]
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    My cordless impact wrench is rated at sumthin like 325 ft lbs and I still have probs with some cars.

A jack handle off a regular floor jack works nice as an extension, just remember to use it to break 'em loose before the vehicle is up on the jack, you know what happens when you take the handle off then.[:)]

I had an old Celica that I had to replace rotors on several times because of tire shops impacting the lug nuts on. One place kept telling me not to worry because they used torque sticks, but that didn't matter. Once one lug was smacked down to any degree the rotor was warped.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coltpax

Don't forget torque sticks. If using just a torque wrench, or breaker bar and finish with a torque wrench, there's a chance that the lug nuts won't seat properly. The "proper" way is to use the correct torque stick, then check it with a torque wrench. Problem comes with aftermarket lug nuts.

Yep, The same thing to me, just one id used with an impact driver, the other by hand. I guess i should have said "If they drive them on using a direct drive impact, they are just hacks."[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Yep, The same thing to me, just one id used with an impact driver, the other by hand. I guess i should have said "If they drive them on using a direct drive impact, they are just hacks."[;)]

So now you want to be specifical...[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1

So now you want to be specifical...[:D]

What can I say. Lots of expert "HACKS" working at the tire shops around here![}:)]
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when i get new tires put on, i tell them to use a 4 way lug wrench that i provide or take the new tires off ond put the old ones back on. i have had several discussions with the shop people but the manager has been on my side so far
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Those are not the end all for torque reading. What those things put out varies with with what you put in(more grunt on the in, more grunt on the out). If you show up at my shop and want me to use YOUR tools for tightening wheels, YOU will sign a waiver releasing me from any liability from improperly torqued wheels.
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guys in the shop HAVE to use a torque wrench.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cccooper
    My guys in the shop HAVE to use a torque wrench.
    That's the only proper way to do it, just check with any vehicle manufacturer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see all you complaining about your cars, but I think the wrenchers in here will agree with me, it's real fun when you fix the hackjobs on other peoples' cars. But I gotta love them hacks, they keep cash in my pocket.[:D]

You can see some stuff that's ni***r rigged like crazy. But, we professionals don't use the N word, we prefer "presidential decision".
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    I see all you complaining about your cars, but I think the wrenchers in here will agree with me, it's real fun when you fix the hackjobs on other peoples' cars. But I gotta love them hacks, they keep cash in my pocket.[:D]

You can see some stuff that's ni***r rigged like crazy. But, we professionals don't use the N word, we prefer "presidential decision".

I'm totally stealing that one!

Although personally I prefer Okie-rigged, a.k.a. Agro-Engineering.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Call AAA and have them bill the tire shop..........
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a Mechanic and I can tell You that Lug Nuts will loosen up on Aluminum Wheels,That's why They want You to come back to have Them re tightened in around twenty five to fifty miles.
    Some of those Butchers over tighten the Nut thinking that will solve the problem of coming loose so You don't come back and cost Them time and Money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Come to think of it my daughter was driving that car about 3 years ago down a busy street and the left rear wheel came off. It happened right in front of a funeral home and a tow truck driver came to her aid as well as the funeral home director. They took her inside as she was some what visibly shaken and while she was inside the tow truck driver managed to find 4 of the five lug nuts and put the wheel back on the car for her.

My wife wrote a nice letter to the funeral director but we never got the name of the tow truck driver. I told my wife that when I die to have the services there as they seemed like really good people.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over tighten lugnuts and you can pull the threads in the lug nuts, stress crack the studs and or deform the holes on aluminum wheels.

If you want to have fun removing wheels the MRAPs I work on the wheels torque to 450ftlbs. The one variant we work on the torque rods on the suspension go to 1200ftlbs. If you have never used a torque multiplier with a 600ftlbs wrench you are missing alot of aggravating fun, once you crack them at 600 it takes another 30-45 minutes and two people to get them to 1200 [:D]
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This old car guy never heard of a torque stick. What is it? I use ant size on wheel studs and around the inside of the hubs on aluminum wheels. Keeps everything from sticking. This is one reason I usually rotate my own tires.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1

Exactly!

Insist they torque to manufacturer's spec.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    This old car guy never heard of a torque stick. What is it? I use ant size on wheel studs and around the inside of the hubs on aluminum wheels. Keeps everything from sticking. This is one reason I usually rotate my own tires.

A torque stick is a metal stick with a 1/2" drive hole on one end and a hole on the other for lug nuts. You use it on an impact when tightening to get it in the ball park. Google probably explains better than me.
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1

A torque stick is a metal stick with a 1/2" drive hole on one end and a hole on the other for lug nuts. You use it on an impact when tightening to get it in the ball park. Google probably explains better than me.

Color coded for the guys at Wal-Mart.

[:D]

Allen
  • Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

This is the first mention of anti-seize in this thread. A1015's shop might be at fault however he does live in the rust belt.

I've had a hard time getting off wheels on cars and trucks I've anti-seized and installed with a torque wrench in the past (Range Rover seem to always be a problem) but because of road salt they can still seize.

Torque wrench is all and my co-workers use for installing wheels.

Your milage my vary..........

SxS