In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what would be a good abrasive to clean gas tank

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
I have a collection of over 40 small cast iron gas engines. Most are Briggs and Stratton. I am using my lyman media tumbler to shake the rusi out of the gas tanks. I have been using pea gravel and fine pumice with some success. I need something that would work quicker. Chemical rust removers are to expensive. I wonder if the red colored pumice stone people use in their yard might work better ? I do use white vinegar to clean my antique tools, but it stinks to bad out in the garage. As soon as I make some more room, I will get a bead blaster like I had at work. Maybe some metal filings or crushed garnet that is used in a bead blaster ? I am lucky all my big engines had the gas tanks drained before storage.

EvilDr235

Comments

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had success using a handful of star washers in motorcycle tanks.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a bunch of misc. screws, nuts, small bolts, etc.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A length of small linked Steel chain is nice mixed with corn cob or walnut shell media...

Mike
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had great success with this with no labor involved... You don't have to buy all three products. You can just buy the rust remover and prep without the liner from the same weblink if you pan down. But it comes with a liner too so it won't rust again. But before I found this product, I used to put a couple of lengths of chain in it and then make a wooden box around it to protect it from getting damaged, then tied a chain to it, hooked to my pickup that I would drag down a rough dirt road until the chain inside the tank beat/scraped the rust out of it... But this stuff works tons better and with the liner will never rust out again if you follow the directions

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/kreem-fuel-tank-liner-combo-pack?gclid=CjwKCAiAoNTUBRBUEiwAWje2lhz3VytuzdhmTH-9Tbx1QrczTn6pRT_6pCg1aySxhDvCwoy9OEJrthoCLuQQAvD_BwE
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another way to clean it is through electrolysis. Here's a YouTube link on how to do it. He suggest making your own washing soda out of baking soda, but you can buy washing soda where find your laundry detergent in your grocery store. Total cost would be 5 maybe $10

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HGHGTmWaEns
  • Options
    buckglovesbuckgloves Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is probably weird but here goes.

We have a steel mill close by that makes * as a waste product..
    Another company crushes it and make road gravel.

Their smallest grind is 0-1 inch.
    * has a lot of scouring ability and is John Wayne tough.

I remove tank and put some * inside.
    After rolling it around the yard for awhile, then turn upside down
    and wash all the mess out.

After washing and blowing air inside I use a shop vac to get moisture
    and residue out.

Patch the pin holes with epoxy and use an inline fuel filter.
    I have saved some tanks this way.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    But this stuff works tons better and with the liner will never rust out again if you follow the directions

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/kreem-fuel-tank-liner-combo-pack?gclid=CjwKCAiAoNTUBRBUEiwAWje2lhz3VytuzdhmTH-9Tbx1QrczTn6pRT_6pCg1aySxhDvCwoy9OEJrthoCLuQQAvD_BwE

I've Kreemed many M/C tanks. Good stuff.
    Now I use POR 15 - better stuff IMHO
    https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer_p_64.html
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    miriatic acid is 8-10 bucks a gallon. I don't consider that too expensive. A gallon of that stuff will clean a lot of parts, and slick it right up too. Rust gone. Hint: I save my used muriatic acid in one of those plastic coffee cans, and keep reusing it. I also do not dilute it. Straight from the jug.

Sorry, not an abrasive method like you asked about, but any abrasive type process I have tried on a fuel tank turned out to be a waste of time.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Phosphoric Acid will convert rust (Ferric Oxide) into Iron Phosphate.
    Phosphoric acid is neutralized with water.
    A 20% concentration of PA should do the trick.

You need: eye protection, rubber gloves make for acid and a resperator or well ventilated area.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know about all of the methods of removing rust. I have appox 25 tanks to de-rust. Most of these engines are are between 50 to 70 years old and I want to preserve the original paint and decals. Sure I can re-paint them and some repo decals are available and some are not. A lot of people that collect old engines big and small like to keep the original finish if possible just like some collectors of fine old firearms. I see guys at antique engine shows with their restored perfect engines. They never run them because they might chip the perfect paint job or spill some gas on the paint and ruin it. I like to see them run and maybe performing a task like pumping water, grinding corn, cutting wood or mowing grass. Thank you all for your ideas. I am going to try the star washer idea.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to Wally world and buy a big box of BB's and shake, shake, shake.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me know what conclusion you come to. I've even using ball bearings and a vibrator which works buts-always looking for a faster & better solution[^]
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Electroysis works only on line of sight. It is great for a lot of applications but inside of tanks is not one of them. I have a tank and use it a lot, but I wouldnt say the inside of a gas tank would work if at all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am going to try broken window auto glass. You know the kind that breaks into tiny pieces. All kinds of little sharp edges.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Daisy bb's always worked well for me