In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A little Help.....Brake issue

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in General Discussion
I have an 06 Ford Escape that I bought 8 years ago today. Been a great little vehicle. It sat in the drive for approx 12 days as I ended up in the hospital for a few days recently and it has not been driven.

The Parking brake is locked up and will not release. It sat on the drive with the parking break on (Manual Transmission)

Where do I start ??????

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    is the latch what is stuck or is the hand /foot petal to engage it working or is the brake shoes frozen to the disk

EDIT 1 Ok William lets start from the first step Prented you are driving the car and pull up with foot on clutch and take the car out of Gear cut off the engine you want to SET the hand brake I am guessing by you last post you normally pull up om the hand brake and you hear a number of CLICKS "this is the latch ratchet going across each tooth . Now you come back to the car at a later time and want to drive it away There is some kind of release lever but you need to take the strain off the ratchet. if you set the handbrake really hard then you need to put one Hand on the hand brake & the other on The release leaver Now at the same time you pull the release lever with one hand pull up slightly to take the load off the ratchet Then release the Hand brake while holding the release lever
    in the release position
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The hand brake is hard to pull up.....it will move but pulls real hard
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Are you applying the foot break when You try to release the hand brake. They should be tied together.
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your cable is rusted up. If, after making sure the lever or foot pedal is indeed releasing, it is rusted up then take a propane torch to the cable under the car and start heating. It should release but if it doesn't it is bolt cutter time, and either way, new cables. Been here, done it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Are you applying the foot break when You try to release the hand brake. They should be tied together.

Yep applying the foot and parking brake hard at the same time made it break loose...THANKS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 320090T
    Your cable is rusted up. If, after making sure the lever or foot pedal is indeed releasing, it is rusted up then take a propane torch to the cable under the car and start heating. It should release but if it doesn't it is bolt cutter time, and either way, new cables. Been here, done it.

Agreed....New cable is the next thing on the agenda.....thanks for the input
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    now get under it and lube the brake cable and hope for the best
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check your rear brake visually, in 2006. The Escape came with rear disc and drum brakes, make sure which you have. We had to replace the drivers side cable on my wife's 2006, it did the same thing. Evidently, the cables are not the same depending on which rear brake type you have.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81
    quote:Originally posted by 320090T

Agreed....New cable is the next thing on the agenda.....thanks for the input

Sometimes the cables can be lubricated, if they are not damaged.
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    clamp a set of vice grips on the frozen cable as close to the backing plats as you can. Hammer on the vice grip in and it should release