In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Well...the media got the word before we did. Sorta

Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
3,200 Washington Guardsmen to go to Iraq
06:43 PM PST on Thursday, October 30, 2003

(C & P Press release from KING5.com, sorry, but they spelled it out pretty good![:D])

quote:SEATTLE - About 3,200 Washington state-based National Guard members will be mobilized for service in Iraq, the Guard announced Thursday.

"This is the largest deployment of Washington service personnel since World War II," Gov. Gary Locke said.

The soldiers are part of the Washington Army National Guard's 81st Armor Brigade, which is made up of more than 4,000 soldiers, 3,200 of which are now based in Washington.

Some of the units affected are based in California. All are expected to be deployed for as long as 18 months, beginning Nov. 15, with a full year spent on active duty in Iraq.

The members of the 81st have been on alert since Sept. 27.

"I think most of us could see the writing on the wall," said Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Clayton, a spokesman for the Washington National Guard.

The members of the 81st will join around 250 or more members of the Washington National Guard already in Iraq, including more than 100 soldiers each from the the Ephrata, Wash.-based 1161st Transportation Company and Company B of the 14th Engineers Battalion.

No Washington National Guard soldiers have been killed in Iraq due to hostile fire or accident, according to Clayton. Two were injured badly enough to be flown home to recuperate.

Four Washington-based soldiers not members of the guard have been killed while serving.

Current plans call for the Brigade to be partially reconfigured to enable them to perform their mission more effectively in Iraq, according to a statement released by the Washington National Guard.

The Brigade conduct mounted patrols and will take some of its Abrams Tanks and Bradley Fighting Vehicles.

The 81st Brigade is one of 15 enhanced separate brigades in the Army. It is organized with two armor battalions, one infantry battalion, one engineer battalion, a field artillery battalion, a support battalion, a cavalry troop, a military intelligence company and an air defense artillery battery.

The Army's current plan is for the 81st Armor Brigade to spend 12 months in the Iraqi theater conducting security, support and stabilization operations.

The brigade will conduct training at Fort Lewis and at Yakima Training Center before departing for about a month-long mission rehearsal exercise at Fort Irwin, Calif.-- most likely deploying directly from Fort Irwin to Southwest Asia.

"The 81st brigade will be ready to take on this new mission", said Major General Timothy J. Lowenberg, Commander of the Washington National Guard. "I am very proud of the citizen-soldiers in this brigade. Just last week our soldiers responded to the flooded areas in Skagit County to help evacuate citizens. Now, in the true fashion of National Guard soldiers, they will once again set aside their personal lives and respond to the call of the nation to help win the Global War on Terrorism."

That's all the news fit to print, we've all known for a while now, but could not say anything. Working now on my arms room and helping to get the unit's paperwork ready to go. Sometime tomorrow the unit will be calling the troops and advising them to "break camp".

I did secure a pass for this evening, for tomorrow and the next evening so I can "Trick or Treat" with my son, Liam, he's going out as "Elmo" and is as charged up as a 2 year old can be. I'm glad I get to do a few more "Firsts" before I go...

To all my friends out there on GB I want to thank you for your support, and for your messages. I simply haven't the time, and quite frankly, the internet access, to answer most, but again, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Sincerely-
Matt45
"The good Lord looks after fools, drunks, and Infantrymen. I know I'm well protected because I qualify on all three accounts." 1SG Jose Montoya, "A" Co 2/6 Inf, 1AD

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Handgun Control, Inc. says they want to "Keep guns out of the wrong hands."
Guess what?
You have the wrong hands.

Comments

• Options
    joey garzajoey garza Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of my small circle is in that groupe.
  • Options
    joey garzajoey garza Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he has been expecting it for 3 months.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    The 297TH Scout Battallion here in Bethel is getting a Company ready for deployment also. Looks like one of my sons has a chance to get in on this fray afterall.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    God be with you all.. Stay safe & hurry home.. And THANKS...

colt_gun_in_hand_spinning_lg_clr.gif
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Take care Matt. Come home safe to your boy.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Matt - Stay low, stay safe. Thanks

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

kimberkid@cox.net
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Best to ya guy. Keep in touch when you can.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all-
    Allen, I'll shoot you an e-mail, I'd like to get some of his info from you and find out if he's going with the 81st Armor Bde, (Seperate).

joey, I've known there was something is the wind since our last "Alert" in February.

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
    Guess what?
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Ok Matt. They won't know anything until next month as to who is or who isn't going. You take care and God Bless you for the juorney you are about to embark on.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,874 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking forward to your return, becareful, the *'s dangerous, and the *'s REAL. And get ready for that heat man, it's summer over there now it'll be 120 outside every day, maybe by midnight it cools off to the low 100's. Be Safe

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now in the northern province it is getting rather chilly at night (Ninewa Province). Hubbie said he was glad he still has his polypros, it got down to 40 the other night.

***KATN!***
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I don't understand this National Guard activation business. Correct me please, but isn't the Guard's purpose to protect the homeland when the active duty Armed Forces are off fighting a war? Are we all out of regular-duty soldiers? If not, why aren't they going to Iraq and the Guard staying home?

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry Lowrider- Kinda. The Guard's primary function is to assist thier state, job #2 is to act as a reserve of forces for the Federal Gv't. The Guard is partially funded by the State, the Army, Air Force, USMC, and Navy Reserves are totally funded by the Fed.

Yes. The regular guys are all used up- We don't have enough troops to field armies in Afghanistan, Iraq, Egypt, Kosovo, the Phillipines, and anywhere else that we are deployed and relieve those units for a significant amount of time. Active duty units are in bad need of breaks and the Guard & Reserves have been collecting paychecks and retirements for too long to not earn them.

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
    Guess what?