In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

For the Curious- "Burningman" live

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
24/7 live feed for the week. (I am only posting this because some of us have built things for these people) our shop has two huge art cars out there built for a MD Doctor. that attends ever year.[8D]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfVAyiqfH6gUq5FwzfoP2YA/live

Comments

• CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would love to go there one year just to people watch. It seems to be the craziest collection of strange people. Having it on the playa in late summer seems not to be the wisest choice during an extended drought but hey....

mmmm dirty hippey smell.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    every one of those damn hippies would rip you off or steal from you if given a chance. probably do it to each other all day long.

From what I understand there is very heavy law enforcement presences within the city (they have there own camp along with medical). Also no cash sales, all barter system. Not saying there are not going to be bad apples but it sounds like they get dealt with pretty quick.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    every one of those damn hippies would rip you off or steal from you if given a chance. probably do it to each other all day long.

From what I understand there is very heavy law enforcement presences within the city (they have there own camp along with medical). Also no cash sales, all barter system. Not saying there are not going to be bad apples but it sounds like they get dealt with pretty quick.

Exactly what (other than sex) does one barter for weed and molly?
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

BACON and Water!!!!![:D]
    edited November -1

BACON and Water!!!!![:D]

Pretty sure those vegan gluten free hippies aint eating much bacon (although the drug dealers might...) I dont know what the exchange rate on those commodities is, but without refrigeration trading anything for warm raw bacon is not a good idea....
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch a few Burning Man videos and you will understand where morons and airheads gather to impress each other.
  • texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Well Cheetos and Doritos of course....[:D]
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Booze is always a good trade medium there. [:)]
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me and a buddy went for 3 days in 1986. It was a blast!( we did not do any dope).

I would love to go back one more time.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    Booze is always a good trade medium there. [:)]

According to the Colorado Pot Guide (no I am not making this up) you are looking at $225 an ounce average price so thats 9 handles (1.75 liters each of Titos Vodka in barter for one ounce of weed...) Also $225 buys a WHOLE lot of water. So unless you were a service provider with the infrastructure to bring water to the desert (or a honey wagon) and were willing to take weed in exchange for services, I'm still trying to grasp how these smelly naked hippies barter for what they need out in the freaking desert. (Oh and it's an alkali salt flat, not just a plain vanilla desert. There is a reason most of the hippies are wearing eye protection.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Me and a buddy went for 3 days in 1986. It was a blast!( we did not do any dope).

Really? You should check that date.... In 86 it was still a private event and not in the desert. (And only on the solstice... not a huge thing like it is now)
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Really? You should check that date.... In 86 it was still a private event and not in the desert. (And only on the solstice... not a huge thing like it is now)

Are you throwing a flag? Is this official or are you off duty? [:D]
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

It was on a beach back them and it was 88 not 86 . We were in Oakland at Alameda NAS and going into SF when we heard about it. It was not a private deal there were about 200-300 people there and they had flyers all over the place and t-shirts. It was a 4 day deal if I remember right.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    what the heck is there to do in the middle of an alkaline salt flat for 4 days?

[?]

Right now it looks like the answer is 'Tie everything down cause the wind is blowing!!!'

I keep looking at night when all you see is weird lights. This is funny. There are going to be a crapload of people with sand in their ***. [;)]
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in college, I went to a Dead concert. Had to be 1986 ish.

People watching was awesome. Top three things:

1. A woman just sort of in the middle of the parking lot, selling one half of an alfalfa avocado cream cheese sandwich

2. A trying to juggle for the crowd, and being really bad at it;

3. My buddy calling me up a few hours after the show, that the ATF had conducted a raid near a house he was living in, where I guess all the deadheads were getting their drugs, and seeing everyone on the ground, zip tied, all the officers with guns, and these crappy looking cars, that had red and blue lights hidden in the grills and elsewhere on the car, so you'd never know they were the police
    edited November -1
    Here is a video of 1989. Shocking that this started in San Francisco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAooBG8Ku8Q

Listen to the Airhead Goddess speaking at about 3 minutes in for an explanation of BM.

BM.... Kinda says it all. [;)]
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wind is really kicking the dust up now......
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out in the middle of that playa, things can get interesting. It's not always dry and dusty. Sometimes they get gale force winds, sometimes they get dumped on by rain and the whole playa turns into one big mud pit. Just crawl into your trailer and uncork another bottle. [;)][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    Out in the middle of that playa, things can get interesting. It's not always dry and dusty. Sometimes they get gale force winds, sometimes they get dumped on by rain and the whole playa turns into one big mud pit. Just crawl into your trailer and uncork another bottle. [;)][:D]

That just sounds like a rain delay at a NASCAR race. I remember one year in Daytona we spent 2 or 3 days just sitting in the bus playing drinking games waiting for the rain to stop. I miss that bus....
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It'd be kinda interesting to drop a couple of fundamentalist muslims into the middle of that writhing mass of smelly hippies just to see how long it would take before their fundamentalist heads exploded.
    [:D]
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah...........I got nothing.......WTH
  • rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    It'd be kinda interesting to drop a couple of fundamentalist muslims into the middle of that writhing mass of smelly hippies just to see how long it would take before their fundamentalist heads exploded.
    [:D]

or see how long it took a few of the hippies to get a big dose of conservative and beat the hell out of em[}:)]