In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading, Shotgun

tesla85tesla85 Member Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in General Discussion
Hello Everyone. Thanks again for all your input on what type of reloader I should get, and all your other advice. I have a question for ya: I have a MEC Steel 650 (I believe) progressive for 12 gauge. I have reloaded about 10 boxes of shells, and used them last dove season. I only bagged about 6 doves opening day, because, the shells kept spilling out the 7 1/2 shot out the front, they weren't crimped good enough i guess. It ended up costing me 70 bucks to get my 870 fixed. I've heard that you put some kind of wax on the tip of the shells, and that will seal them, and prevent them from leaking. I want to keep loading, so can you advise me on what i should do to seal the shells, and prevent them from leaking? Thanks alot.

Casey

When they come to get your GUNS, make sure to give them the AMMO first!!!

Comments

• chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    You should not have to put wax on them to keep the crimp closed,[:0] You need to read your owners manual and get your crimp right [:)]
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most loaders have a wad pressure adjustment.Maybe you need to seat it harder??
    Are you using a "known" load,so that the column will come out about right.? Not all hulls are the same depth inside.
    If your crimp is an "outy" as soon as it comes off ot the press,it will only get worse while they are waiting to be shot.
    shorter wads,lighter powder charge WITHIN SPECS,or a little less shot can make a big diff. on how the crimp works.
    FWIW,I usually hold my press hndle down for a 3-count to 'seat' the crimp a bit...seems to work.
    Hope this helps some.

give CAS a try,it is a hoot!!
  • nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look close you should be able to lower
    you crimper or raise the holder or adj the stroke of handle pull
    to close crimp