In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Advice Please - Blacksnake in Basement

10x10010x100 Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
My wife startled a 3' - 4' blacksnake in the basement today. We have a lot of storage cabinets and shelves - plenty of hiding places. We don't want to hurt it - just would like it to find another place to live. Advice?? I put some towels saturated with ammonia around, hoping it will get irritated and leave.

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    10g outa do it[:0]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's there to get mice....
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is a true Black Rat Snake, it will keep the basement clear of rodents and the like. They aren't venomous. One of the tells of a non-venomous snake are eyes on the sides of the head, as opposed to on the top (which is a sign of a venomous snake).

If you can get to it, pick it up using a towel to protect your hand, and grab it just behind the head. Take it outside to a woody area and let it go.

It's bite will feel like sandpaper.

Then again, if it IS venomous, that 10ga idea would work pretty good. Then some napalm just to be sure.... [:D]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one too, it will go away when the mice are gone. No need to worry about them they are not going to harm you but are hell-on-wheels to the rodents.

Please do not kill it, they are truly harmless to humans.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I had one too, it will go away when the mice are gone. No need to worry about them they are not going to harm you but are hell-on-wheels to the rodents.

Please do not kill it, they are truly harmless to humans.

Sorry man, I know you and others like snakes but if I find one in my house you will see it on the news channels being talked about as if there had been an atomic widowmaker go off whete my house used to be.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A flame thrower comes to mind.[;)]
    I know nothing about snakes, so they scare the hell out of me!!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rent a mongoose.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I couldn't tolerate a snake in the house either, if it can catch mice it is probably pretty fast.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    10x10010x100 Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both my wife and I understand that a blacksnake is beautiful, beneficial and harmless to us. We simply don't care to have it in the house. No evidence of mice or other critters in the basement. Maybe its getting the freezer at night??[:D][:D]
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep getting little tiny ones in the basement, turns out that the door sill on the back door is rotted out on one end leaving a pencil sized gap... Looks like a weekend project if I can find a replacement...
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would never have a pet snake but some of you guys are major league weenies!!![:D] Just leave ol black snake alone. Chances are you wont see him again until next year. Remember, if there is nothing to eat he will leave on his own. The black snake in my basement I see about once a year. He is bigger every time I see him. What I don't see are any mice.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A can of spray foam is a real quick fix.

quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I keep getting little tiny ones in the basement, turns out that the door sill on the back door is rotted out on one end leaving a pencil sized gap... Looks like a weekend project if I can find a replacement...
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snowball chance in hell I would have one in the house,,I would tear the basement apart and get him out peaceful, then find how he got in. Imagine if you and the other were in bed and the Mrs. felt the black snake? ohhh myyyy.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    If it is a true Black Rat Snake, it will keep the basement clear of rodents and the like. They aren't venomous. One of the tells of a non-venomous snake are eyes on the sides of the head, as opposed to on the top (which is a sign of a venomous snake).

If you can get to it, pick it up using a towel to protect your hand, and grab it just behind the head. Take it outside to a woody area and let it go.

It's bite will feel like sandpaper.

Then again, if it IS venomous, that 10ga idea would work pretty good. Then some napalm just to be sure.... [:D]

Bingo. The eyes will be round on a non venomous snake. The black snake is harmless and good to have around. Pick it up and put it outside. It probably won't come back, but will keep your place, rodent free. Wish we had more around here. Haven't seen one in about 20 years, around our place. When I use to find them, I would toss them in the barn to keep the mice down. Oakie
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were you, I'd be darned glad to have it, as long as it's there you will never have to worry about rats or mice.

It won't hurt anyone in your family unless you pick it up, then it may bite but they're not poisonous nor aggressive.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call TURTLE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

or

If it's a black snake with round eyes and a slick head (non triangular shaped head, just pick it up, pet it and take it outside.

If you pick it up and it's a poisionus snake and you then notice a diamond trianglular head, slanted eyes like a eagle, don't pet it, take yourself and the snake to the Dr. if it has it's fangs buried into you. AND stay calm, excitement causes the venom to spread faster
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,822 ******
    edited November -1
    Nobody has said it, so I will...
    BLACK SNAKES MATTER!
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Nobody has said it, so I will...
    BLACK SNAKES MATTER!

Don't hurt anything black or it might go viral!!!!!!
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

If it is just a small area, you might try wood filler epoxy. Easy to use, shape, and paint.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem or benefit depending on your point of view is when you have a snake you usually have two snakes.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a bit bummed. I haven't seen any snakes at my place in the last couple years. The coolest one I saw was about a 12 foot black coachwhip snake. That thing was fast. Saw him twice.

Relocated a rattler about 6 years ago, got him on video too.

Darn rodents caused me over $500 in damage to my wires on the van. Chewed the wires and it took out the computer. I like snakes.

For your basement snake, just make sure he can find the exit so he don't die of starvation. You could always go buy some mice or gerbils to feed him to keep him happy [:D]
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,233 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    A flame thrower comes to mind.[;)]
    I know nothing about snakes, so they scare the hell out of me!!
    Ditto
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,069 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this is a nice dry warm walkout basement the snake will be fine. Get a minnow trap, and put a mouse inside, leave it in the basement over night.

If it is a typical mid-western cool, damp basement, it will be too cool for the snake to be happy long. Get a minnow trap...

Well you get the idea.