In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Missouri Football

ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
Coach Barry Odom has forbidden his players from owning handguns even if legally owned if they want to play for him. What an idiot. Let's see how he enforces that.

Comments

• Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After all the problems they had with Black Players last year I don't blame him
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Coach or anyone else has no legal standing to tell any student or employee what they can or cannot own if it is legal to do so.

Missouri best get their lawyers spun up to prepare for lawsuits.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have mixed feelings on this, solid 2 A supporter and all. But what does this really mean? Football players represent their school and everytime one has a run in with cops it reflects badly on the player, the coach, team and school. Practically speaking it means:

-- football players are on notice not to play with guns on or near campus. I think I'm ok with that.

-- football players away from campus best not get I trouble with a gun. I think I'm ok with that.

-- if a player already owns a handgun, leave it at home, don't bring it to school and give it to a relative until you are no longer representing MIZZOU.

That would be a complicated policy to try to put in place or, you could just say football players can't own a handgun. I'm sort of thinking I'm ok with that, especially considering the school is trying to recover from a year of terrible PR.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #1 Its a team rule. What the coach says goes. Get caught get kicked off and lose your funding. Same as if you show up for a flight not wearing a coat and tie (if that is your team rules) or staying out past curfew.

#2 Firearms are not allowed on any campus in Most States.

#3 Most Students are not 21 and able to legally own a handgun until they are halfway through their Junior year so this is aimed at unlawful possession of firearms.

After that, if you are carrying properly no one will be the wiser. Do something stupid, well then all bets are off.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    #1 Its a team rule. What the coach says goes. Get caught get kicked off and lose your funding. Same as if you show up for a flight not wearing a coat and tie (if that is your team rules) or staying out past curfew.

#2 Firearms are not allowed on any campus in Most States.

#3 Most Students are not 21 and able to legally own a handgun until they are halfway through their Junior year so this is aimed at unlawful possession of firearms.

After that, if you are carrying properly no one will be the wiser. Do something stupid, well then all bets are off.

Well said.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't be watching this team play football. Too many racist activities going on at this school.
    What's next?
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't watch many games anymore....the black athletes have ruined it....when there was 10% playing,no problems...now its 75%...just like anything else,when they become the majority,the inmates run the asylum....just an observation...
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    first off, i would have to question the OP if "owning a handgun" is the actual coach's policy or is it possibly having a handgun on their person concealed or open carried on campus..most schools have a procedure for students to possess and store weapons for later use during hunting or personal use while on campus. this involves storing the weaponry with the campus police force, checking it in and out of their"safe storage" for one's personal use off campus. schools realise there can be a strong hunting culture and even encourage participating on one's new state hunting or shooting opportunities.
    with that said coach's "team rules" covers it otherwise as Cap't Fun so eloquently posted.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TooBig

I'll bet his little POS's won't comply - just like the street monsters DO NOT
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't own a firearm you gonna guarantee my safety [:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am guessing the 1st 1 or 2 to have their scholarships revoked and expelled from school will do the rest of the convincing the coach can be a dictator.quote:Originally posted by mjrfd99
    quote:Originally posted by TooBig

I'll bet his little POS's won't comply - just like the street monsters DO NOT
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******
    edited November -1
    West Virginia whooped them today.
    WVU'S mascot is a mountain man carrying a muzzle loader.
    Imagine that.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go Tigers! My alma mater. He never told me I could not own a gun. Cottontails kept me eating a couple of semesters.[8D]