In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Insurance???

IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
Will filing one claim cause homeowners insurance to go up?

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not with mine unless you meet their points standard. Guess depends how much it would be for.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remember the first duty of an insurance company is to collect premiums ..the second duty is to deny claims......that's why they all have nice suits and grand office buildings
  • Options
    Rocky4windsRocky4winds Member Posts: 760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My personal experience has been- it all depends. If the claim was for an act of nature, such as hail damage or lightening strike, then no (at least not yet). But if the claim is for a leaky washing machine hose, then it might.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I posted yesterday about needing a new roof on my house and siding. That was based on a few pics from my neighbor, when I got home I need more. Vinyl fence is destroyed, garage door, gutters and down spouts and a new sliding glass door
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky4winds
    My personal experience has been- it all depends. If the claim was for an act of nature, such as hail damage or lightening strike, then no (at least not yet). But if the claim is for a leaky washing machine hose, then it might.

From experience, they won't cover a "leak". that caused damage. It has to be a line blow with "sudden" loss of water. Thank goodness my insurance writer called it "sudden."
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Rocky --- It all depends.

In March we had a windstorm that damaged many homes. My roof was damaged by a huge tree limb; the Encompass claims adjuster said that, since the windstorm was an "unusual occurrence", the company would not penalize any of its customers.

After the storm I had paid to have the remains of the damaged tree taken down, as it was ready to fall on my house, too. I thought that insurance wouldn't cover that. But, the adjuster fully reimbursed me, as that saved them from spending more on house repairs.

Sometimes, companies exceed your expectations.

Neal
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they get to raise it for a claim they should have to lower it for none! I've had Homeowners 40 years and not one claim. Bastages
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don?t have any facts to back me up on this but I think the biggest reason premiums go up is the overall amount they pay out in claims and inflation.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Clark Howard on WSB Radio Atlanta the two best insurance companies are USAA and Amica.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Insurance companies do not need a reason to raise your rates. Mine go up all the time and I have never had a claim, it is the nature of the beast.

If you have damage, claim it and fight any future increases in premium through your broker. He needs to keep you happy to keep getting his commission money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hail Damage to our roof. I could not see damage. Inspector from State Farm checked it and we got new shingles. No rate increase.