In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone going rabbit hunting this year?

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
Boy, the first freeze hasn't hit yet, but its comming soon, and them rabbits have been multiplying all year. I just can't wait to get out there. I bought a few new toys I'd like to try this year. Anyone got any good recipe's?

"little mister hopping foot, hopping thru the forest, rat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat, tat tat.... Splat goes the rabbit."

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last year I just cooked it for a good long time in the crock-pot until the meat fell off the bone. Then I took a Campbells Chicken Soup Starter kit and did the rest right there in the crock pot. Yum!
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want to, but I too have to wait for the freeze. I also have to find someone who wants them. For quite a few years I was the only one in our hunting party of 4 that took them home. I since have digested so much rabbit meat that I never care to again. [V]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do plan to, Hunting is one of the main things that make
    winter bearable for me.

If ya can`t trust a biker
    Who can ya trust?
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Lee it's good to see you posting over here again and not just the Ask the Experts side. How are things going since your time at the academy?

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We plan to go as soon as it opens...Next weekend, I think.
    Have not gone in years. Already had our freeze two weeks ago.
    I gotta find the old recipes, too.
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Always spend some time bunny hunting....lots a fun.Course here we are actually hunting Snowshoe Hares,not rabbits...not to be splitting hares mind you....sorry ,could'nt help it.Have seen a lot of them this season so far,the after parts,(after prep,the innards,head etc.) work well for bait trapping too.Use all I can.....I'm gonna try to find some more grouse this afternoon....
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first secret to great rabbit is to gut them on the spot, at least as I learned it. You don't want to leave a dead rabbit ungutted for any length of time or it will taint things up inside. My buddy was the best at a technique where he would immediately slit the carcass down the middle, then grasp a hind leg in each hand, and swing it down between his legs with a whipping motion, causing the gut to go flying out behind him onto the ground, all at once. (You'll know when you get the hang of it when you do not have rabbit guts all over your back... [:D]) I used granddad's Win M12 16-ga. on rabbit with great success in the 70s. I have a picture around here somewhere. If I get it scanned I'll put it up.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,149 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soon as you invite me I'll go! I grew up hunting rabbits, but no longer have a place or dogs.[:(]

Little rabbit foo-foo, hopping through the forest,
    Scooping up Leeblackman and bopping him on the head...

My heros have always killed cowboys.