In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Keurig Coffee Maker Questions

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
anyone have one?

worth it?

Mrs. Loaf does not drink coffee in the summer, and it seems stupid to make just one good sized cup for myself.

Since I saved $50 a week from not stopping @ DunkinDonuts anymore (and not buying lottery tickets either), it seems that $119 for the slightly better model would be worth it, plus I have a Sears coupon for $10 off.

Looks like there are dozens of choices of coffees, I see they have "Donut Shop" coffee...probably my choice[;)]

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Loaf

Comments

• Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf
    anyone have one?

worth it?

Mrs. Loaf does not drink coffee in the summer, and it seems stupid to make just one good sized cup for myself.

Since I saved $50 a week from not stopping @ DunkinDonuts anymore (and not buying lottery tickets either), it seems that $119 for the slightly better model would be worth it, plus I have a Sears coupon for $10 off.

Looks like there are dozens of choices of coffees, I see they have "Donut Shop" coffee...probably my choice[;)]

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Loaf

Get one, youll like it!
  • Options
    SturmgewehrSturmgewehr Member Posts: 4,420
    edited November -1
    My missess has one and likes it very much. I still like using the old glass percolator.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one, k cups are about 50 cents. Which a may or may not be cheaper then your current cup of coffee. Note that if you drink more then one cup of coffee in the morning you will be using them up. One K cup will fill up a travel mug sized coffee mug 3/4 of the way on the largest setting.

With that said, you can try several different kinds of coffee cheaper and find what you like. You can also use regular coffee if you buy the filter. They do work pretty well. I have one of the lower end models.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not have one. I used one occasionally at school last year.

Sometimes the coffee tastes like plastic.

It seems stupid to make a single cup of mediocre coffee for 50 cents when you can make a 4-cup pot for less than that (not to mention the initial $100 for the coffee maker itself) using better, fresher coffee.

Unless you are so busy in the morning that you cannot take the extra 45 seconds to brew a pot.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    You can't make a bad cup of coffee with one (assuming you have good coffee). While that is true, you can't make a particularly good cup of coffee either. I like my coffee strong, and there is simply no "strong" setting. And don't talk to me about french roast or whatever burnt coffee roastings they make to make coffee taste stronger with the same amount of water... that just doesn't cut it.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I used a top-of-the-line Keurig at a friend's house recently. It brewed a cup in less than a minute and the coffee was piping hot. I got to choose a packet that was labeled "Columbian," and it was good enough...

Using the one at my friend's house got me interested, so I have looked into them pretty thoroughly.

I think the system is more expensive - or close to the same - as brewing a big pot. However, in my house everybody likes all these different flavored coffees that I can't stand, and there is a lot of waste and waiting around. So it might be cheaper - and quicker - to use a Keurig in my house because of our habits. Your habits may vary.

My bud also said that he pays about .35 cents per K cup by purchasing the coffee packets in bulk from Sam's or Costco.

He also said to get the top end Keurig as it makes larger cups and is available with a thermostatic control for dialing in the right brew temperature - especially if you like to drink both tea and coffee which brew at different temps.

As a coffee snob, I am somewhat suspicious of the pre-ground insto-packets, because as a general rule, once you grind a bean it starts to lose flavor immediately. I always grind my own immediately before I brew. As you know, the Keurig has an opptional accessory (at $20 bucks!!) that allows you to grind and load your own, but I haven't tried one. Perhaps the filter accessory would solve a problem for both me and an earlier poster about brewing a strong cup...

Some reliability concerns showed up during internet searching, but overall the machine got satisfactory ratings.

Long post for me. Gotta go take a nap...if I had a Keurig I could brew a cup in less than a minute and stay awake...Hmmm...
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not drink coffee, but do have one I use for making hot cocoa. Order the packets from Green Mtn Coffee. Takes about a mininute a cup. Would highly recommend it.
  • Options
    ZebraZebra Member Posts: 5,762
    edited November -1
    I remember as a child in the late 1960's our neighbor in his late 80's would fill a sock with coffee grinds and boil it in a coffee pot. [:D] Times have changed..[:D]
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wife bought one about 3 years ago & loves it. Bought two more for the girls. I don't drink coffee but they should be the poster girls for that product!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Bought two of them for two of my daughters for Christmas last year. One loves hers, the other does not. I didn't get one as I still like my old Black and Decker! I know the darn things are expensive!
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have one at home and I had one at my previous office. I changed jobs a couple months ago and the new place has a fresh grind automatic cappuccino machine so I brought the Keurig home.

I love it and could also be a poster child for them. Many different types of coffee so you can find what you like or try different flavors during the day. Get the model with the larger number of brew sizes. Wife only drinks Donut Shop. I drink Tully's Kona, Nantucket Blend and a flavored Tea.

My coffee has never tasted like plastic

If you have any questions let me know.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo
    Long post for me. Gotta go take a nap...if I had a Keurig I could brew a cup in less than a minute and stay awake...Hmmm...I thought it was a copy and paste with slight personalization!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Boss just had to have one. Big spender that I am, I got her the cheapest one, the "mini", which she is happy with. But, the mini heats the water before brewing, so it takes 3-4 minutes per cup. The more expensive models ARE faster, but they have to keep pre-heat water hot, constantly using electricity to do so.

Everything out of the Keurig tastes weak to me, so I always use less than a cup of water, something you can't control in the expensive models. Coffee is pretty good, tea & cocoa are terrible.

Even in bulk, I am paying $.50+ per K-cup. Costco isn't any cheaper, & they don't carry the Kona that the Boss prefers.

Neal
  • Options
    M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Donut Shop is my favorite. You can also buy an adapter/cup that you can put your own coffee in. We love ours
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two, one in my office and one at home. I have three coffee drinkers at home, and we love it since we each can have our own brand...with no waiting or cleaning of pots or disposing of filters. That alone is a big advantage.

My machine at work gets a workout--at least 8 of us use it and it rocks. I keep over a dozen types of coffee and everyone can have what they want, when they want (decaf, foofoo, plain black, bold, light, whatever).

I don't have to clean anything, just add water. Simple, quick, clean, easy. I had a malfunction a while back on one machine (had both machines over a year, no receipt or warranty) and the company mailed me a new one within a few days, no questions asked. Can't ask for more than that.

In general, then, I love ours, and my sister in Pittsburgh got one for her office and home after seeing and trying out mine. Several of my colleagues have also purchased them--one for his cabin in the woods.

I highly recommend them--but you will have to experiment to find what brands/types of coffee you like. I like the fact that you can brew different sizes of cups, too...so very strong to very light is possible even with the same type of k-cup.
  • Options
    GRIZZLY17GRIZZLY17 Member Posts: 1,676
    edited November -1
    If you get one get the top of the line!

I like them but their not for me.

1- I like cold or warm coffee best.
    2- I drink so much I would go through 20 of those little cups a day.

One thing I do is run it on the biggest cup size then again on the smallest cup size.

That gets me a full mug. As long as its a good strong variety to begin with.

If you got kids you can get the coco cups and make them with the small cup setting then add water to it to cool it off.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So there you have it. A very clear and ringing maybe. Some folks like it, some folks not so much. Kinda like everything these days.