In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More details.

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
Little more to the story. Went to heart hospital for an angiogram and thinking angioplasty. No such luck. BI want fees to go upage in 4 arteries requiring bypass on Friday. Saturday they got me up to walk and I basically collapsed. The last thing I remember is thinking that I was in trouble because they were not encouraging me to go on. I passed out at that point. Sherri says they took me back to my room and put me in a chair. I was comatose. I would remain unconscious for the next two days.

My heart went into arrhythmia meaning it was beating way too fast and very erratically. This causes a very low blood pressure situation. MY BP was 68/48.

Late on Sunday night I sort of came to a little bit. I remember Sherri was there. That's about all I remember. I fell unconscious again.

Awoke on Monday doing just a hair better. BP was like 80/55. I was able to respond to the nurses. I was told that on Tuesday they would fit me with a portable defibrillator which would shock me back to life when my heart stopped. Apparently they were anticipating my heart stopping.

Then at 10pm on Monday I woke up. The nurse stuck her head in the door looking at the monitor tracking my vitals and I asked "What?" She said, "Your heart just went into normal rhythm. She checked my BP and it was already up to 105/80.

Not this time you son of a *. You'll have to come for me some other day.

At this time I was fully awake and aware of how uncomfortable I was in the hospital bed so I didn't sleep well that night. But I was in a much better mood. Especially when they canceled the defibrillator procedure.

Tuesday I was up walking around. They started taking out tubes and lines. This morning they kicked me loose. I am so happy to be home. I feel like crap and look like hell. I have a 12" scar on my chest and three holes for drainage tubes. I have multiple holes down both arms and both legs. I'm bruised all over. But it's good to be alive.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery Doc!
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which hospital? Baptist? I hear they do good plumbing repairs. Good to see you back with us!
    PS- You won't be shooting much more than a 22 for a while!
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bravo!!.....need the tough ones back here to keep things in order
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay relaxed Doc. Do what they tell you and breath deep...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm glad you're home, Frank. Your hospitalization has been one of the hot topics in the forum and I can assure you that you have plenty of friends here wishing a quick and complete recovery.
  • Options
    TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great news Frank...
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm so glad you are coming around and better days are ahead.....anything heart related is VERY scary.

It is wonderful to see you posting!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in Arkansas Heart Hospital. Only 5 star rated hospital in Central Arkansas and I have no complaints. They really took great care of me.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    I have no complaints.

That may be a first. Glad you are home.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Really Great to see You are on the Mend, Doc!

(Also pretty great to see kristov is still monitoring this Menagerie!)
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cheat that buzzard Reaper as long as you can Doc!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you are doing better Doc.

AR Heart Hospital has some really great docs and staff there. They took great care of my brother a few months back for some stents after a really nasty stress test.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay in the fight Doc...

I commiserate with the whole coma and scar tissue thing.

Good doctors and nurses are key and save lives but I am convinced that the sooner you can get out of the hospital the better and that recovery at home can be quicker and cheaper.

And despite the fact that you are sometimes a lightning rod here and get you share of troll responses your health issues and scare concerned most of us here and was - is a topic close to our hearts.

Mike
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers for you and yours Doc. Take it easy and follow the Docs orders.

Also do not forget to thank your caregiver.[:)][:)]
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to hear you?re on the mend Doc. Maybe 2 weeks ?til ya fire the Shovelhead up now? Just kidding, welcome back.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    mike_02mike_02 Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep a lip upper stiff Saxon Pig!!!!!!!
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear your doing better, get well soon
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in Arkansas Heart Hospital. Only 5 star rated hospital in Central Arkansas and I have no complaints. They really took great care of me.

They are great.
    Many say where they remove veins from legs hurts worse.
    Glad to see your doing well. Can't do much with all the rain.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you will be OK- now Doc- listen to the Docs!
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    Well dammm!!!! Glad you're done with that and back on the mend. Good to have you back here. Prayers/best wishes continue.
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Doc

So happy to hear you are still here and doing better. You have now joined the club so to speak.
    I had Quad + 1 (5) bypasses in 2002. I have since acquired 5 stents in 3 different procedures. I have chronic atrial flutter with variable AV block and rapid ventricular response.

I had my first heart attack at age 36 and am now 69 years old and still kicking. Like you said Doc, not today will I let the SOB take me.

Keep up the good attitude, don't cough or sneeze , and you will be here a long time. I slept in a recliner for 3 months and wore a wide elastic belt around my chest with moderate pressure to keep my sternum from breaking loose. The pillow thing is too slow to catch a sneeze or cough.

As for me - I live on rat poison, and other drugs to control my inherited coronary artery disease, but I have lasted longer than the doctors said I would. I live a day at a time.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad they sprung ya!
    Live long and prosper!
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kristov
    I have no complaints.

That may be a first. Glad you are home.

[:0][:p]
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like rat poison....keeps me pumped
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not this time you son of a *. You'll have to come for me some other day.

Right on. I've met the Reaper twice in my life and came back both times. That in itself is very rewarding feeling. Get well, Doc.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sheesh, Doc, you don't believe in doing things the easy way, do you? [;)]

Glad you're feeling better and are back home. Sounds like last Monday evening, around 10pm-ish, your body said, "Enough of this cow cookies, wake up!"

Hope you continue your recovery and come back even better now that they've taken care of those blockages. Keep getting better, Doc!

Big Al (You'll need to make up to your other half for a while, now that you've scared her over the past week, y'know. )
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you're still on the green side of the grass, Doc. We've lost enough good folks over the years, don't need to lose any more. Besides, think of the terrible fight that would ensue over who'd get all those great guns![;)]
    Take care.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang in there Doc. Follow directions and be patient with yourself.
  • Options
    IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    does this mean you won`t be at the Benton show this weekend? Heal quick and get back in the fight!
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the update. Hope things continue to improve from here out.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I guess all those good collector guns wont be coming on the market anytime soon??[:D] Glad everything is going AOK!
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will never know what "feel like $H1T" feels like until the day after open heart surgery. It is about as bad as it gets.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to hear you are doing good Doc. Hang in there!
    RLTW

• Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rumor has it Lucifer is a Steely Dan fan who adheres to the following;

Throw back the little ones
    And pan fry the big ones
    Use tact, poise and reason
    And gently squeeze them

Glad you lost that weight Doc! Take it easy and stick aroound.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you came through the fight to the other side.

Follow the doctors orders, and take care of yourself.
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you're home. Behave yourself and keep getting better
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to hear you are doing better.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I feel like crap and look like hell.

So basically nothing has changed except you ducked out of a few days of work?[}:)]

Great to hear you are home Doc, now get on the auction side and buy a shiny Smif.[^]