In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stainless Win. 94

HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
edited April 2008 in General Discussion
Anybody ever seen one ? Mid-1980's from the serial number.

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good rule of thumb is "Never say 'Never' with Winchester". In the mid-1920s Winchester started coming out with some stainless barrels but it wasn't a very successful program largely due to the fact that precision machining techniques for stainless steels had not yet been suffiently developed. The program was dropped and existing stocks of stainless barrels were used on some special order guns and apparently on some standard guns as well.

Winchester was always loath to throw out good parts that they had paid money for and so it was with stainless barrels. From time to time you will come across an original Model 94, or even another model, with a stainless barrel on a gun made up to about WWII. Once in a very rare while you may come across one on a gun made as recently as the mid-1950s of which I own two. I would not be at all surprised if 1980 or later M94s exist with stainless barrels. The techniques of precision machining stainless steels were well perfected by the mid-1960s so if a customer wanted one it could have easily been provided.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, glabray.

The people that say 'ain't never been any such made' merely reveal their lack of knowledge of the firearms field.
    I have fallen into that trap myself..many years ago.
    Being handed the actual object of discussion is great for eating crow...right on the spot.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never seen one, which only proves I have never seen one. I might have liked '94s better, had I had one in stainless. I do like the 9422 though, and I have never seen one of those in stainless either. I would love to see a photo...