In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Atomic Clock

walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
I have an old radio control clock that can't find the signal from Colorado

I changed locations and even put it in the window but this clock can't find the signal or the Colorado center isn't sending it.

So I bought a new one for $9.00 and the same thing, no signal. I set this one manually with no trouble

But the old one I'm having trouble with
There are 5 buttons in the back and u have to set each station with in 8 seconds, hr, min, day, mo, yr, until all stations are set correctly and locked. The sequence is like this 1,3,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 1
But the 8 sec. is more like 3 sec
If u goof up u have to start all over

I tried setting this clock in the mirror so I don't have to be turning it around to see if each station is right

I've been playing with this clock since day light saving time started.

Why I fool around with clocks I don't know , every days is 5 o'clock for me

Comments

• spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that's what i thought was STUPID about atomic/radio clocks....time good to 1 second in a hundred zillion years.....BBBBBUUTTTTT...they don't change for time zones when you cross & they don't change twice a year for stupid daylight wasting time change...soooo ...you don't really know what time it is ???????
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem with mine. I eventually changed the batteries and it seemed to work alot better afterward. Don't know if that was the answer maybe it was like pulling the battery out of your cell phone and putting it back in.

Todd
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    I had the same problem with mine. I eventually changed the batteries and it seemed to work alot better afterward. Don't know if that was the answer maybe it was like pulling the battery out of your cell phone and putting it back in.

Todd

+1
    My atomic clock seems to get the signal when it feels like it. Sometimes takes all day to reset. Or maybe it's over loaded with the spyware the government installs in them to watch us in our homes??[;)]
  • anatomically correctanatomically correct Member Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got 2. Never had a hitch w/either one. They are far more accurate than I need, but fun to toy with.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Clock is hard wired to adjust to WWV/Ft.Collins, Co:
    When the clock reaches 0200, and only after a power-up.

Pull the batteries, put them back in. The clock will immediately open the channel for signal reception, and will stay open until the signal is received. Then the clock will re-open the channel at 0200 every cycle, and remain open until again, a new signal is received.

WWV is transmitting constantly (I forget what times it transmits-in Zulu time-for civillian reception).

Best, Joe
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    A $9 WWV clock is made in China. Take it back to the store and demand a refund.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several and they do change for daylight savings time. Never had any troible with them. Set your clock facing west and leave it alone. I can take up to 24 hours to set. After it sets move it to where ever you want.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    I have several and they do change for daylight savings time. Never had any troible with them. Set your clock facing west and leave it alone. I can take up to 24 hours to set. After it sets move it to where ever you want.

+1 It takes them a little bit to synchronize depending on the signal.
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    My employer uses those cheap Chinese ones, there are dozens spread around the factory. The ones near the outer walls work, but as you move inward they routinely fail to synchronize or stay synched. I guess it's just too much metal and concrete in the way.
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Move to Arizona. We don't change our clocks. We don't believe in Daylight Savings Time.
  • acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine works well.
    Always accurate and updates for DST.
    We have a bunch at work and I spend hours setting them every time DST starts or ends.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    The school I work at is full of them.I usually set the clock close to the correct time and within 24 hrs it will be to the minute. Sometimes I have to move them to another wall if they aren't receiving a signal.