In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Horse meat?

Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
edited February 2007 in General Discussion
Anyone ever had it? I wonder how it is? Is there anywhere to buy it?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody ever eat horse meat? My Dad used to talk about eating it during the depression, he did not say to much, about it othere than it was meat, and they ate what they could get. (I think he might have fed some to me in my youth, Dad was a mystery meat kind of guy[:0])
    Do you think we need a law to prevent eating it?
    http://www.saplonline.org/horses.htm
    Don
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    To me, eating a horse is like eating a dog. The French do love their horsemeat, however.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Never had it. Ain't too popular in this country, but I understand it is consumed quite a bit in Australia.

My dad was convinced they were fed horse meat in the army during the war. He said at times they were fed meat that was kind of sweet tasting and the guys couldn't identify it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know in WW1 the Army fed soldiers lots of horse and mule meat.

I have had dog. It tastes pretty good. I am well aware of the ethical considerations concerning horse meat. I am just wondering how it tastes and is there a commercial market in the US.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Never had any, seen a lot of it though. I hear it is a fairly tough meat, and has to be cooked right to be tender.

There are Federal laws prohibiting interstate transport of horse meat, unless, it is covered in charcoal/coal dust; to distinguish it from beef. In raw form it looks really good, except for the coating of black coal dust...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why in the heck would it be against the law to transport?
    Is it against the law to sell it for human consumption?
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...It looks like a GOOD piece of beef. I don't know if it is illegal here, the coal dust just keeps idiots from passing it off as beef. I guess the Feds dont want people selling it as beef, hence the covering in coal dust
    The coal dust stains the meat, so it is not appealing to the eye.
    There is a horse slaughter house not too far from me, been under attack for years, looks as if it will finally be closing in the near future...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not quite the same, but maybe close: in nebraska, there's herds of buffalo, and once a year they (farmers?) would thin them out. this fast food restaurant would buy the buffalo meat and sell buffalo burgers. they were good. I don't know how that compares to horse meat, but it's not quite cow meat either.

another fast food restaurant in the same area did get busted putting horse meat in their food (mexican food) and nobody knew the difference.

if you ask me, it's disgusting. horses aren't stock animals, they're intelligent, beautiful creatures. you don't slaughter them and eat them. they're not for that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:if you ask me, it's disgusting. horses aren't stock animals, they're intelligent, beautiful creatures. you don't slaughter them and eat them. they're not for that.

Your words are exactly what many of the anti hunters say about deer, pheasants, turkey and other wild game. Vegans and other extremists even say it about beef.

Bison is better than beef in my opinion. I have a freind who raises them for slaughter and we buy all our meat from him. We have not bought beef in a few years.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank goodness they closed all the Horse Meat processors here in TX...

They would ship the meat overseas to skirt the law...

UP0000000275.png
    A horse's last look before entering the slaughterhouse.

[V]

A federal court decision that upheld a Texas ban on horse meat for human dining has thrown the horse-slaughter industry into flux, with two airlines saying they won't transport the meat and with representatives of Texas' two slaughter plants giving conflicting reports about whether they have temporarily ceased operations.

"My information now is that the plants are not processing at the moment," industry lobbyist Charles Stenholm said at 4:30 p.m. Thursday about the Beltex plant in Fort Worth and Dallas Crown in Kaufman. "It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if you can't ship the meat, you can't process it."

But 20 minutes later, Dallas Crown operator Christopher Soenen said the Kaufman plant was still operating. Dallas Crown attorney Mark Calabria then clarified, saying production would probably be reduced temporarily as the plant processes for pet food and zoo food only.

http://www.kaufmanzoning.net/horsemeat/

I guess if I was on a 1000 mile road march in Enemy teritory, I would consider eating it as a last resort...[}:)]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I don't think you can buy horse in the US for consumption. I think they are considered a companion animal.
    We used to take horses to the slaughter house. Not sure what it is now but it was .50 a pound. The meat itself looks good to me, I'd eat it. Never seen it with the coal dust tho. The house we took them to packaged and shipped to France. To my knowledge they are still operating at full steam.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What would the menu be? Palamino Patties, Alpolusa Appetizers, Shetland Steaks, Bronco Burgers..
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ate lots of it in Russia and Kazakstan. In Kaz land it is traditonal food and they have many large herds whose main purpose is meat that will be fixed many ways.
    I have eaten smoked horsemeat sausage sandwiches on the bank of the Good Horse river. No problem with it and would eat it again if I had to.
    I have horses and mules, and have sold many as killers without a thought as to whether they made the Alpo can or a sunday meal in Europe.
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    Ive had horsemeat its not bad,used to have it a lot when I played Rugby over in Paris occassionaly.It was usually the meal we had after the game.I prefer buffalo to all of it,we have two buffalo ranches very close to me so eat it fairly often,only trouble its very expensive so cant afford to eat it all the time.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the place that sold buffalo burgers was called Bronco's, and they do have a Bronco Burger...

quote:Your words are exactly what many of the anti hunters say about deer, pheasants, turkey and other wild game. Vegans and other extremists even say it about beef.I guess there's a line to be drawn somewhere, everybody's got their own. I don't have a problem eating cows, pigs or wild game. horses aren't in that category.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MosinNagantDisciple
    To me, eating a horse is like eating a dog. The French do love their horsemeat, however.

[:D] not as a usual dish ,but a place close by does horse meat for dogs to eat, & it never ceases to amaize me how big the quew is , i seen several folk in that line that ain't got no dog !! [:p]

must be good, i remember having it years ago ,bit like kangaroo ,i seem to recall, when i was in NZ.[:D]
  • Options
    cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Horse meat is tough but a lot taster than spotted owl!
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember hearing about a Thoroughbred horse sold by a Kentucky farm to an individual in Japan. The horse was intended to be a stud for the the Jap farm.

Appearently, the stud didn't perform as expected....so the Japs ate him.

As you can imagine, the folks in horse country were quite pissed. There were bills introduced in Frankfort to ban the sale of horses to Japan, but I'm not sure if any of them passed
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    My grand-dad was a cook in the Army Air Force stationed on Tinian in WW2. Said the highlight of every month was the transport from Australia coming in with fresh eggs and fresh meat...horse meat! Said spam sure got old after a while, and the fresh horse was really good!
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    This topic has been discussed here before. Horse meat is delicious when prepared properly. Here in Miami its readily available at small markets and butchers. (Remember, Miami is Third World[:D])

Its a typical Cuban delicacy called tasajo, traditionally made with horse meat. My Cuban friends turned me on to this years ago and I eat it about twice a month. Note the recipe refers to "* beef", but the real McCoy is horse meat, which is more expensive.

heres a link for the recipe:
    http://www.tasteofcuba.com/tasajo.html
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe there is only 1 processing plant left here. Either in Ill. or Iowa?
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Horses were common across America for millions of years until the arrival of the "Clovis" people, who ate them all. Flash Forward a Couple thousand years...The Spanish conquered the Americas in 1400's because a few hundred men with horses could defeat armies of tens of thousands.
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrseatle
    Horses were common across America for millions of years until the arrival of the "Clovis" people, who ate them all. Flash Forward a Couple thousand years...The Spanish conquered the Americas in 1400's because a few hundred men with horses could defeat armies of tens of thousands.
    Thank gawd we are having fish tonight![;)]dang "CLOVIS" IJITS SOUNDS LIKE OUR NEIGHBORS KIN[}:)][V]
  • Options
    p64makp64mak Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cattle buyer
    Horse meat is tough but a lot taster than spotted owl!

Then you've never had spotted owl prepared properly!

Marinate overnight in soy sauce & orange juice (a little black pepper thrown in), and smoke over applewood...Delicious![}:)]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While horse meat doesn't sound very appealing to many of us, we think nothing of eating pork which I believe is a more intellegent animal.
    During WW2 when meat was rationed and in very short supply even if you had "Red Stamps", there were signs in pet stores stating " Horse meat for dogs".
    Buffalo are crossbred with beef and called beefalo.
    I've tasted it and it was OK.