In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

3.0 litre V-6 Ranger

Tommy_2_pocketsTommy_2_pockets Member Posts: 288 ✭✭✭
edited March 2005 in General Discussion
My old Ford Ranger with the 2.3 litre engine is due for a lot of expensive maintenance, over $425 + tax for plugs, wires, & fuel filter! Plus the chance that it will actually make things worse or they will break off one of the original plugs (300K miles on it) trying to get it out.

I stopped at a dealer today and looked at a 1996 model, 104K miles, 5 speed, 3.0L engine. Is the 3.0 a good one? Is it also a Mazda engine?

If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. If you can't pick it up, paint it.

Comments

• BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    300K on the plugs and wires[?][:0][:0]

It's a miracle it still runs at all!

Look at it this way,it should have been done twice already,so you've gotten by pretty cheap.[;)]

As far as I know,the 3.0L is a pretty good one.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an older 2.9L on my 90 Ranger and don't have any problems with it. 136,000 miles.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    [img][/img]
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that's all your getting for $425 (plus tax), I'd A) find a new mechanic or B) break out my own wrenches.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I believe the 3.0 and the 4.0 are both Mazda-made. Good motors but the transmissions still suck[B)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep! Trannies have always been the weak link of the Ranger. Come to think of it, they were the weak link on the LTD and Mercury Cougar, too... Hmm...

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • MRBEANMRBEAN Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know much about Ford, haven't had one for awhile. I'm with tailgunner'54 though, I could do that work in probably an hour or less (barring unforseen BS) and I'm not even close to a mechanic! Save the bill towards a newer something.

What do you mean signature, I can't write on the monitor!
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i hada ranger. worst truck i ever owned.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    1USAirForce.gifdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I always thought that the 3.0 was a derivative of the 3.0 taurus engine? Either way they are a solid engine. You will not have the tranny problems with the 5 speed that you would with the 4 speed auto.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a 95 with 5 speed , Started having tranny issues after 130,000 , among other issues that popped up . Traded it for a new Full size.
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    i own, a 93 ranger with the 3.0 have put it through more then the poor thing should have been through and have not had any trouble out of her, with one exception. i absolutly love this truck, better gas mileage then a full size and yet still provides me the use of a truck when needed.( have a f250 for the real serious(sp?)hauling) the 3.0 IS a mazda motor.

if you obtain this vehicle and have any problems with the idle going up and down and up and down, drop me a line, its a quick fix.

fear the government that fears its people

fear the government with greater firepower
  • MPinkstonMPinkston Member Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Father-in-Law had a F-150 many years ago. It would not back up a hill. All the transmission fluid would run to the front of the tranny and it would not move. What a POS. Finally caught fire in a parking lot right next to a fireworks tent. You should have seen the people pushing that rolling total out into a field. The biggest loss was the half gallon of whiskey that blew up about midway through the event. Even brought a tear to my eye.

OldGuns55@yahoo.com