In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any of you use a chipper shredder?

daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
My brother-in-law has one that I can use to help clean up the limbs and multitude of leaves around here. Do they really make a hard job easier?

Comments

• Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They also work good for getting rid of unwanted bodies.
    EvilDr235

Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
  • Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    quote:My brother-in-law has one that I can use to help clean up the limbs and multitude of leaves around here. Do they really make a hard job easier?

Oh yeah! I have done my fair share of landscaping and trust me it makes life very easy.

fb0d9d60.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loved "Fargo". [:D][:D][}:)]

Seriously, I have used my son's Chipper/Shreder by Sears. It's supposed to accept limbs up to 3" in diameter. I forget the HP it is, maybe 8hp, but in my opinion, it was more work then it was worth. When chewing up the limbs, you had to have all lateral limbs completely removed or it would catch in the hopper, then, it was very time consuming feeding the limbs in. For a medium to large job, this size chipper was inadequate. If you are only doing leaves, you had to dump the canvas catcher into your plastic bags. Anyway, I just like to burn everything. It's easier. Especially here in California.[:D][:D]
    muley
  • Options
    REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Do they really make a hard job easier?

I personally wouldn't know [:p]

-Ralph, the tree and landscaping company owner

Seriously, I don't know about the small homeowner stuff, but like Muley said, the smaller ones make a hard job harder. I've never seen one that would process leaves, we refuse to put anything that must be raked up into our units, although the big one has a rock trap, its just not worth the risk to the blades. My big one is 125hp, weighs 4034lbs and accepts 18 inch diameter logs. The small one is 25hp, weighs 1500lbs and accepts 4 inch material. Neither processes loose leaves very well, its just not what they're made for. If you have leaves and a few limbs, I recommend merely loading it all on a trailer, and hauling it off. I wouldn't put freshly mulched leaves or chips around my landscaping, it has to cure/leach out first, and the leaves harbor molds in the beds.

In the demonstable absence of evolutionary perfection, if some calamity is not to occur, we shall have to learn to live with ourselves as we are. Fast. -Tattersall
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    muley--You beat me to it. I guess you have to grow up in Minnesota to truly get a deep appreciation for the movie.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck yes. I've used my brother's and it worked on everything without a hiccup.

It may be helpful to understand that there is a VERY HEAVY disk of STEEL inside a wood chipper, and once this heavy thing gets spinning at full speed, it has so much mass/intertia/momentum going for it that the blade just chomps anything that gets in the way like it was eating pretzels. They are particularly useful for turning trimmed tree limbs into a whole lot of manageable wood chips for mulch or disposal.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own an 8-horse unit & have to also agree with Muley.
    A match is quicker & a helluva lot less work.
    [8D][8D]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Here is another vote for Muleys opinion. Mine is small. Perhaps the bigger ones are better.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    there are some guys clearing some trees by my dorm to make a resturant they have a huge one and they made about a 10 foot high pile of mulch really cool to watch

"Every time I hear the words animal and rights in the same sentence, I'm going out and killing 20 of something" - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like guns there are good, lousy, and just plain bad.

When I was heavily active in distribution & retail sale of OPE, we sold literally thousands of chipper shredders. Some models we literally sent back to factories, or just wouldn't sell.

Sears units can from MTD. Rate them somewhere between lousy-bad.
    Best were Troy-Bilt Tomahawk (8&10 hp)which is basically out of business, Mighty Mac- MacKissic (8-9hp), and a new one Bear Cat.
    You paid about $1,000-1,400, but the things worked, especially the Mighty Mac was my favorite.
    It had wider openings so branches fed easier, better flail hammers/chipper, and an honest automatic centrifigual clutch.

Don't be afraid to use leaves as a mulch, ground cover when shredded....properly.
    Black Walnut, is the main one that should be left to dry, then can be mixed. It has a chemical that retards growth. Actually is a good natural herbicide when placed on what you want killed. A slurry can be made. Kills like Round Up.

Happy Bullet Holes!